Foot massage during pregnancy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniminx13

Reaction score
Hi all... Just wanted to ask what other therapists do/don't do pedicures on a pregnant client....approx 32 weeks....

When I trained back in the 90s it was considered fine to perform a foot massage on pregnant clients over 12weeks but since coming back into beauty a few years ago I have found different salons say different things..my last place of work didn't alter the treatment at all but I am a worrier as I know there are some points in the ankle that are can stimulate labour eek! I contacted my insurance company and they didn't have any specific advice just follow training and contraindications....

Last edited:
Pregnancy , particularly late pregnancy would not contraindicate a pedicure. If you are worried then stay away from the ankle area and make massage around that area superficial. I have had lots of pregnant ladies in the past that are desperate for a pedicure as they can't reach their feet anymore. If you arent qualified in reflexology then im sure you arent going hit exactly the correct pressure point to start early labour. :)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek

Be careful during massage around sides of heels and ankle area also big toe try not to use much pressure on the pad of big toes unless trying to start labour lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Thank you... I know I am being over cautious but better to double check i guess. I don't do reflexology but I will look up the areas you both mentioned....... i read up on pressure points and it does say very precise and simultaneous pressures may trigger uterine muscles so I will just do lots of gentle soothing effleurage....

I had pedicures throughout my pregnancy with no problems. It was lovely especially as I got sooooo huge I couldn't get anywhere near my feet. It got to the stage I couldn't do pedicures on clients as I couldn't reach over my bump lol. I was trained in pregnancy massage through elemis years ago and I just avoid any pressures around the ankle and use lots of soothing effleurage movements like you've said.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Thank you... I know I am being over cautious but better to double check i guess. I don't do reflexology but I will look up the areas you both mentioned....... i read up on pressure points and it does say very precise and simultaneous pressures may trigger uterine muscles so I will just do lots of gentle soothing effleurage....

I'm sure you'll be fine. Just be gentle and take it easy with her. I understand your desire to be extra cautious. I'm a worrier too :o

I did the pedi and all seemed well...to my horror the client went into labour 10 days after and has had her litlun at 35 weeks... I know 10 days means its unlikely my fault but I have been so stressed since!

We do pedi massages on pregnant clients all the time, it can be really relaxing and helps stimulate the blood flow on swollen feet. It's rather beneficial for them :) x

So unlikely to be your fault!! If you aren't a reflexologist you aren't going to have induced her labour. I doubt the reflexology even starts labour.... Probably about as successful in inducing labour as pineapple, raspberry tea and curry!
I've just had a 32 weaker and racked my brains for a cause and this would never cross my mind. My husband massagd my feet everyday in pregnancy and I can tell you now it's not the reason my sins chord was wrapped round his neck!!

Hope this puts your mind at ease x

Latest posts

Back