Formulating for virgin gray coverage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAL33029

Reaction score
Hi all,
my mother in law has requested I color her hair. I left my salon a few months ago due to moving out of state, and am second guessing my thought process.. (partly because It's been a while since working and partly because it's my MIL!) just looking for others opinions! I am Wella trained and have started using joico, too.

She is 80% gray in the back, and her bangs are nice and white (Tried to convince her not to color, but she has had some health issues and thinks it might make her feel better). She keeps saying she wants a light red. I have a swatch book and she loved Illumina 7/43. I am afraid of several things. 1), I don't know how well Illumina covers gray. 2), She hasn't colored her hair for a looooong time.. like 15 years. i am afraid that something so drastic on a 70 year old woman might shock her and cause her to hate it. We just cut her hair the other day, she insisted on shaved sides and spiked on top, with a long bang (again, was afraid it would be so drastic that she would hate it) I think it actually looks great on her, but is a bit extreme, especially if we throw red hair in the mix too.

long story short, i am looking for advice on formulating. Should i use the illumina 7/43 mixed with 7/0 (1/4 red with 3/4 natural) or should i go back to Kohlston for better gray coverage. I don't want anything too bright or obnoxious. just a subtle hint of red.
(I color my own mothers hair who is 100% white and we use kohlstone 6/43 and 66/0 and it comes out beautifully.. but my mother likes it RED!) I know i am overthinking this, but as anyone knows, a mother in law could drive the best of us crazy :( thank you for reading through my crazy post LOL and thanks in advance for any help!!!

I prefer Illumina on white/grey hair because it gives a translucent softer coverage which I think looks so much better on mature ladies than a solid block colour which tends to look more aging unless the client has the personality (inc. clothes) to wear it.

7.43 with 7.0 should be fine in illumina... I really like the range...
also not sure if you was awear but the intense double bases (66.0) should only be mixed with special mix.. they loose their intensity if mixed with the fashion shaded. I only found this out myself last year...[emoji4] x

Latest posts

Back