Freak direct dyes green help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donna higgleton

Reaction score
Hi geeks. I did a turquoise balayage on someone a couple of months ago it was beautiful but. To say it lasted us an understatement!!! She now wants the green out!! Tried the bleach bath...nothing....tried a dark red brown...nothing just went khaki...(these were all test pieces I might add) so in the end went for a bright red...it covered it in a lovely purple/mahogany colour but a week later the greens coming back through!!! How do I get rid of this it's driving me mad!!!

Use the search facility and type in how to remove direct dye loads of posts come up but whatever you do don't bleach it x

Worst thing is to bleach it. You just push the colour further into the hair. Clear and 30vol removes direct dye but as you've already coloured it I'm not sure what to suggest. What base is she now?

What green did you use? I agree with the clear but it's may not work. Is it just the ends? Is it possible to cut out?

0/00 and 9% should get rid.. I had this a few months ago with a purple semi that faded to petrol green, couldn't get the dam thing out with a bleach bath!

What take out direct dyes is ammonia since direct dyes have a negative ionic charge you need a positive ionic chanrge like ammonia to take them out. The base tone to most direct dyes is green so that is the last color to come out too.
Here's your choices:
1. Permanent Clear + 20vol.
2. Highlift color + 20vol in equal parts - 1 part color to 1 part developer.
3. Malibu DDL, it's a direct dye lifter + 20vol
4. Joico's new Direct Dye Color Remover, it's brand new and works very, very well on any line's direct dye.
Make sure you add Olaplex at least 1/16th to any formula to protect that hair.

Last edited:
I've used Redken Flashlift with Shades EQ processing solution and 1\16th of Olaplex to remove all my vivids. Took the green out of my hair completely in less than 10 mins.

Latest posts

Back