Free Websites!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBack&Beyond

Reaction score
Geeks; where is comes to marketing, 'free' is the right price - yeah? :)

I heard an ad on the radio today that Google, BT, E-SKills Uk, and Enterprise UK were funding FREE websites and Google listings for all UK businesses.

I see nothing in their Ts n Cs to prevent me from paralleling my main business site.

Get your FREE website listed here;
Getting British Business Online

What are you waiting for?

Jason.

p.s. - I don't work for any of these companies.

Last edited:
if only this was a few days earlier! I've just very recently got a website!
How will you 'paralell' your main business sight here? (I'm not very technical so dont quite know what you mean by that you see:o)
Thanks for sharing,
Kayley :hug:

It would be interesting to see exactly what they are offering, e.g. is it a "template-based" site builder offering a limited number of pre-set styles, a la Freewebs, Vistaprint, Weebly et al?

There is a real irony about the way that they are "helping small businesses" as the flip side of the coin is that it may take business away from other small businesses who are trying to make a living from web development - after all BT is a huge company and would probably quite happily see a lot of their smaller competitors killed off.

Probably another misguided step by one of Gordon Brown's quangos. Jilted John was right!

It would be interesting to see exactly what they are offering, e.g. is it a "template-based" site builder offering a limited number of pre-set styles, a la Freewebs, Vistaprint, Weebly et al?

There is a real irony about the way that they are "helping small businesses" as the flip side of the coin is that it may take business away from other small businesses who are trying to make a living from web development - after all BT is a huge company and would probably quite happily see a lot of their smaller competitors killed off.

Probably another misguided step by one of Gordon Brown's quangos. Jilted John was right!
Oo err missus - I forgot about your side of the coin - how embarrassing :hug: ???

Still - I recon there be a whole load of constrictions on these sites - i.e. little of no branding, restricted content, etc (you can think of many more - I am Very Sure!)

No harm though surely as an extra string to your bow in development and SEO ranking improvement?

Oo err missus - I forgot about your side of the coin - how embarrassing :hug: ???

Still - I recon there be a whole load of constrictions on these sites - i.e. little of no branding, restricted content, etc (you can think of many more - I am Very Sure!)

No harm though surely as an extra string to your bow in development and SEO ranking improvement?

Jason - no worries - I certainly wasn't having a go at you - and if it sounded like I was then I am so sorry! :hug:

I'm just really sceptical of big companies and their motives, and anything that is ostensibly "free"; although in this instance I'm guessing that BT may have managed to have got their hands on some Government cash that would have probably been better off going direct to small businesses who could have then offered something very similar.

How will you 'paralell' your main business sight here? :hug:

Your welcome Kayley - it does look like just template stuff. Don't worry - you don't have to be fluent in HTML or PHP by Monday!! :):)

All I meant was that there seem to be no restrictions in offering your services via this host, or via your own site. If you feel it's worth it - you should put a basic site up here, which also directs customers to your business. List your services, contact info and try including a "Main Site Here" link - it may work.

hth? Jason

:o Now i understand thanks! I blame working with children (my other job!) for frazzling my brain by the weekend.... i've got "heads, shoulders, knees and toes" running through my head at the moment while i type...

Your welcome Kayley - it does look like just template stuff. Don't worry - you don't have to be fluent in HTML or PHP by Monday!! :):)

All I meant was that there seem to be no restrictions in offering your services via this host, or via your own site. If you feel it's worth it - you should put a basic site up here, which also directs customers to your business. List your services, contact info and try including a "Main Site Here" link - it may work.

hth? Jason

I think Kayley's existing site is a Vistaprint one anyway - who are probably among the better of the template-based sites, although they do charge a monthly fee.

If it were possible for her to create a "free" site using the BT/Google offer that was of comparable quality to her Vistaprint site, then the best solution would be to transfer her existing domain name over from Vistaprint to the free BT/Google site - thus giving her the continuity of being able to keep the same domain name, but saving her money by no longer needing to pay the monthly fee to Vistaprint.

Jason - no worries - I certainly wasn't having a go at you - and if it sounded like I was then I am so sorry! :hug:

Awh, you're still my number 7 squeeze (after my partner and cats :)) - NPs

I'm just really sceptical of big companies and their motives, and anything that is ostensibly "free"; although in this instance I'm guessing that BT may have managed to have got their hands on some Government cash that would have probably been better off going direct to small businesses who could have then offered something very similar.

Agree - but I see this as a tool adding too - rather than a distraction from your most excellent services, n'est pas?

Latest posts

Back