Freelance hairdressing advertising

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leahukhairstylist

Reaction score
What is the best way to advertise for a freelance hairstylist? Im going freelance on november after being up a salon all this time employeed. So i cant legally take the clients and i am worried about money. I am going to advertise 3 weeks before i leave (when i hand in my notice) but what is the best way to get clients? Any advice?

get a facebook page do it soon as let them know you will be working from november maybe start ealier to get the client base up?

Thanx. I am getting alot more likes on facebook which is good i just cant reallt start doing freelance until i have left the salon as im not insured until i leave which is a pain. Im just naking sure i do it all legally and by the books. I am going to try to get a stand at all the wedding fairs so hopefully that will help. Altho not sure how maby there will be xmas time x

Anybody else any ideas?

I've not long gone back to mobile hairdressing after 3 years in the police force, when I knew I'd be leaving a couple of months before I registered as self employed and got insured and started trying to do as many new clients as possible by advertising on facebook, making business cards and flyers (spent quite a bit on something nice) - it was hard work around shifts but I'm so glad I did, as when you do leave its so stressful worrying about clients booking in!

Word of mouth has been the most effective advertising for me - so now I'm doing a recommend a friend deal too. Oh and a competition on Facebook to get people sharing and talking about your page. Good luck!!

I've not long gone back to mobile hairdressing after 3 years in the police force, when I knew I'd be leaving a couple of months before I registered as self employed and got insured and started trying to do as many new clients as possible by advertising on facebook, making business cards and flyers (spent quite a bit on something nice) - it was hard work around shifts but I'm so glad I did, as when you do leave its so stressful worrying about clients booking in!

Word of mouth has been the most effective advertising for me - so now I'm doing a recommend a friend deal too. Oh and a competition on Facebook to get people sharing and talking about your page. Good luck!!

Thanx for the reply. Do u leaflet drop? Ive been told that its not a good idea and it just annoys people and most of it goes in the bin?

Hi I have been mobile for 3 and a half years and when I first started out I advertised in village magazines, they distribute to every home in a small vicinity and they have worked very well for me. I did leaflet drops but didn't have one response. My sister who works in marketing says it is a poor bounce back rate using that tactic. I have had a website made and listed my self on every website I could which comes up on the first page of Google, type in 'mobile hairdresser' in the search bar and you'll see various sites you can list on. Yell.com and Mumsnet is a success for me. I found I only had to advertise for a year and then word of mouth took over. I'm now full 5 days a week with a cancellation list some weeks. Good luck!

Yes I agree with Sarah, I've done a couple of leaflet drops and not one response!! How annoying! - it's handy to have some to give out to your clients to pass on though. I'd look at advertising on mumsnet too - I have a fair few clients who have young babies and can't be going to the salon for hours.

Hi I have been mobile for 3 and a half years and when I first started out I advertised in village magazines, they distribute to every home in a small vicinity and they have worked very well for me. I did leaflet drops but didn't have one response. My sister who works in marketing says it is a poor bounce back rate using that tactic. I have had a website made and listed my self on every website I could which comes up on the first page of Google, type in 'mobile hairdresser' in the search bar and you'll see various sites you can list on. Yell.com and Mumsnet is a success for me. I found I only had to advertise for a year and then word of mouth took over. I'm now full 5 days a week with a cancellation list some weeks. Good luck!
Did you have a lot of salon experience? I'm NVQ 2 qualified but with only 1 yrs on the salon floor. Circumstances don't let me continue working in the salon as I need to be flexible

Instagram worked wonders for me! Hashtag every post with your area e.g. #london #londonhair follow people from your area so they notice your profile, and take really clear pics in good light

Hi, I've been mobile for over 10yrs and I just used the free internet advertising like freeindex, Thompson local etc and created a website. I found this got me started then it was all word of mouth! Good luck hope you enjoy being mobilexx

Also join the FHA, the Freelance Hairdressing Association. The only professional organisation for freelance stylists. Great for training, support, business info, insurance etc. Great events and conferences too.

Latest posts

Back