Friend poaching clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailedit15

Reaction score
I have previously mentioned about this friend who hasn't been supportive etc when I have done nothing but give her tips, help etc. Anyway she's now poached one of my clients. Yes I know i can't force the client and I know this client has gone else where and learned her lesson. My friend who I have been best friends with for near 10 years knows this is my client she knows I can do the treatment. Hate how businesses goes to people's heads! I would never do that to her unless I knew she didn't offer that treatment. Just feel disappointed! Am I right to feel like that considering we have already spoke about it and I said I wouldn't approach her clients unless they needed someone more experienced or something she couldn't offer. I thought our friendship meant more than business.

How do you know that she approached your client? Could the client not have approached her? Clients are free to use whoever they want to - I know it is annoying however they unfortunately don't sign up to only ever use you.

Clients come & go. It's part of business.

I saw your other post about your friend when you originally posted it, and I think I agree with most of the comments, that's it time to cut ties with that friend.

Obviously you were upset then & your upset now. It's not worth it. Focus on you & your business. It's too draining otherwise to constantly be caring & thinking about what others are doing. You don't want your business to suffer because you're too busy thinking about her & what she's doing.

If you have a passion for nails, love what you do & are good at it, then that's all that matters.

Focus on you

I had this happen to me and yes I was upset and told my friend that I was. I personally wouldn't do that to a friend.
A beautician/nail tech came to me for holiday nails and asked if I could fit her client in. I did and the client said I done her nails in half the time and gave me a £17 tip. She asked if she could book in with me in future and I said no it wouldn't be appropriate.
Perhaps it wasn't the best business decision but it's the right one for me.

I saw it on social media! I know that and have no problem my clients going else where and the client has done before I even recommended her going to someone I knew who was professional my problem is friendship should come before business! Clients come and go best friends shouldn't!

Thank you maristar! Since that post I have took a massive step back and within that time the only time I was contacted was about information about pricing which I pretty much said am not helping as it's not my place too. I kinda feel used like she was all over me for information and now hardly bothers me unless it's for help. I wouldn't do it to a friend either!

It wasn't your fault if the client preferred you! I think clients and the professionals personality need to mesh well as from experience with hairdressers I had one where whenever I went to my appointment I felt like she couldn't be bothered with me. Never spoke etc so I changed! Wow that's massive tip client must have been impressed!

Unfortunately, friends/people change. Iv learnt the hard way. It's sad when it happens, but you will learn from the experience both personally & professionally.

Over the last 6 months I have noticed with people in my life, they just do what pleases them. So now Iv taken a step back from my friendship with them. I never thought it would happen, but I can't keep putting myself second when they only put themselves first. They take but never give. It's taken me a long time to realise that. I hope you learn quicker than I did. Lol

Good luck with your business!!

It's so horrible is it? I hate how money, business and jealousy can ruin friendships. I do nothing but praise other techs help my friends out who want to better themselves but doesn't seem enough! I just feel she resents me for my life being settled for leaving a rubbish town and doing well for myself.

I have pretty much been excluded unless needed since being pregnant anyway! My partner has been telling me for months not to help our advice so much and that am being used and I think this past while I have seen it myself!

We both have had a rubbish life and I have overcame everything to be where I am. I am not where I want to be but in time I will and I think because am doing well that it is resented. Am not one of these people who will sit and cry about all the bad things i use them to push me in life.

Thank you! I really appreciate it. I can't wait to see what the future will bring. I love what I do from morning to night every day it's nails!

Iv had clients that train up in beauty then have posted their services on my Facebook business page! Lol. Errrr, Delete, and Block!!

It's never good to actually target clients that belong to other therapists however if you carry on with your regular advertising methods and that attracts clients who have been elsewhere then that is all fair and square in my view.
If the client is happy going to their usual salon they will not be looking to change. Sometimes they might be looking for a different aspect to their salon experience - that could be a new treatment, easier parking, better opening hours. It is the client's choice.
If a client goes to someone else for their massage and say you for their nails then respect their choices and reasons.
Always best to stay on good terms with other salon owners in your area - you never know when you might be of help to each other in the future.
What goes around, comes around!

It's so horrible is it? I hate how money, business and jealousy can ruin friendships. I do nothing but praise other techs help my friends out who want to better themselves but doesn't seem enough!.

Aside from this particular friend, do you think that you might be expecting more from a friendship than the other person is willing to offer?

I'm not suggesting that you are like this but as an example...I used to have a friend that was on the one hand very kind and would always be the one offering to put herself out and do things for others but I found her a bit draining as she had a fragile ego and was quite passive aggressive if other people chose to prioritise their lives in a different way to her.
In the end, I slowly withdrew as I just didn't have the energy to focus on her all or nothing approach to friendship.

Latest posts

Back