Friends v Clients???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibarr

Reaction score
I am about to start a business as a mobile Beauty/Holistic therapist. I also do nails. I am nearly ready and a couple of friends are wanting treatments.

The thing is, I need to be business minded, but I'm also aware that friends and relatives will want treatments and Im not sure what to charge them. I need to be consistent from the start and be professional but dont want :rolleyes:to be a meanie.

Don't discount for your friends, but maybe give them a litle extra, to encourage them in that word of mouth....

Once you discount, you'll find it very hard to charge full price in the future.....and then someone comes along that they recommended and says...."Oh but you only charge suchabody suchapirce....." and on it goes!

I actually keep a little pot of freebie treats that I offer my friends an occasional dip into.....pinkie solar oil, mini scentsations, mini colour etc. The ONLY person I don't charge is my Mum, and I never will. But I know she will never ever sell me short to anyoe else!

That's fab, Lyndsay, really good advice. ThanQ!!

Don't discount for your friends, but maybe give them a litle extra, to encourage them in that word of mouth....

Once you discount, you'll find it very hard to charge full price in the future.....and then someone comes along that they recommended and says...."Oh but you only charge suchabody suchapirce....." and on it goes!

I actually keep a little pot of freebie treats that I offer my friends an occasional dip into.....pinkie solar oil, mini scentsations, mini colour etc. The ONLY person I don't charge is my Mum, and I never will. But I know she will never ever sell me short to anyoe else!

very good advice:hug: i'd rep you but i need to SPREAD SOME LURVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :green:

I made the mistake of not charging my friends for treatments!! Everyone does it i think at some point, but you will find only you are loosing out in the end as your products will go down very quickly. What i have ended u doing is making a 'donation' pot. I tell my friends to put in a donation and most of them give me more than i'd dare even ask for!! But make sure if your friends recomend their friends then not to mention this!!

The ONLY person I don't charge is my Mum, and I never will. But I know she will never ever sell me short to anyoe else!

Same as, but my Mum knows my bank account details so puts money in my account online even though I tell her not to :irked:........ Everyone else I charge, except a massage therapist friend and we treatment swap (a back, neck and shoulder massage for a mani)!

I don't do mates rates.....instead i do a couple of free gems or don't charge extra for glitter.

I try and do Robs step mum (lovely lady and great nan to my kids) for free as my mum doesn't wear them and i have no-one else to do a freebie for...but she wont hear of it and always pays me.

Think it depends who it is etc. Dont charge my sister (but she pays me anyway !), gave a free spray tan to my friend in return for delivering leaflets with her little boy and free spray tanned my other friend as part present for her wedding. Other than that, no, they would all pay the same prices or might knock a tiny amount off. If I thought they were starting to take the michael I would say you can have this one, then you pay, am trying to run a business you know ! Hope that helps xx

I totally agree with what has already been advised about charging friends, I do the same.

However, I just couldn't bring myself to ever charge my family for any treatments. that would include my mum and our 3 teenage daughters. They get all treatments free and any products they want at cost price.

Thanks guys!! I feel a lot more confident now and able to draw the line not feeling mean.

For friends and family I give a free 'upgrade' - i.e. they pay for a premium treatment and get the luxury one!!

It only costs a little bit extra in time and products but as they're your friends and family they like to tell everyone how good you are so you receive plenty of free advertising - it's a win, win situation!!!

I charge my friends the same as everyone else, but if possible, I give them a longer treatment.

I give the hairdressers 10% off but I get the same if I get my hairdone.

Best to decide what you are going to do and stick to it. Most of your family and friends will be great but it just takes one to take the mick!

I wouldn't charge my mum, sisters or my bestie friend, but as they all live 300 miles away, I don't have that problem.

i am just starting up mobile doing nails & i've given friends and family a price list and told them i'll do the first manicure or pedicure half price then after that it will be full price, but i could do them some free nail art. i have explained that i'm using all cnd products which are top of the range and not cheap!
some of them have made me feel a bit guilty for charging them but if i do treatments for free i'm never going to build a successful business!

(the only person i dont charge is my mum but she always gives me a tip to keep for myself!)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back