Fuming!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Envylicious

Reaction score
Hi all,
I took a booking from an acquaintance yesterday, who came to my house (where my salon is) chose what she wanted to have done and arranged to come this evening for her appointment. I have re-arranged my day, laid out everything I would be needing etc. And guess what this evening - no show! I called and she had forgotten all about it :( This was my first 'real' client and now I am so dissapointed. I think it was a money issue rather than the 'I forgot all about it' routine, but I wish people would just be straight. She has made no offer to re-arrange. what do you guys do when this happens?

Hi all,
I took a booking from an acquaintance yesterday, who came to my house (where my salon is) chose what she wanted to have done and arranged to come this evening for her appointment. I have re-arranged my day, laid out everything I would be needing etc. And guess what this evening - no show! I called and she had forgotten all about it :( This was my first 'real' client and now I am so dissapointed. I think it was a money issue rather than the 'I forgot all about it' routine, but I wish people would just be straight. She has made no offer to re-arrange. what do you guys do when this happens?

How rude!! Poor you, you must have been nervous and excited and all for nothing :( Personally, i would put her on the hit list and not book her again!! I try and avoid anyone un-reliable as i'm mobile and have two little ones. Cant afford to waste time on people like that.

Hopefully more experienced geeks will give you their opinion on how they deal with things like this though.

Try not to let it get to you too much, have a cup of tea and try not to fume too much xxx

Thanks for that - I'm calming down a little now, but I think you're right, people like that aren't worth bothering about, but I was so excited - I couldn't sleep very well last night, going through everything in my mind for her appointment.:sad:

Thanks for that - I'm calming down a little now, but I think you're right, people like that aren't worth bothering about, but I was so excited - I couldn't sleep very well last night, going through everything in my mind for her appointment.:sad:

Your first real clients are nerve racking!! At the very least, it gave you a chance to do a run through of everything you will need to prepare when you're first client does come along (i know its not much of a silver lining but, well, best to look on the bright side sometimes!)

Hopefully you'll produce some beautiful nails on someone she knows and you can take satisfaction in being far too busy to do hers when she asks again :D

Ah well, at least you have had your first 'no show'. I agree with MissOwen, put her on your hit list and when she books with you next don't be in! Ha!! I have acyually done this before to someone who didn't apologise for not turning up. They don't like it the other way around!:lick:

That said, the general public think that there is not so much of a problem not turning up to home salons because, at least, we are home and can do other things like watch the telly etc. They do not consider that we have lives and busy lives at that, nor do they consider the loss of income. I hope you made it clear to her that you were not impressed.

Don't take this personally, it happens to all of us at all points in our career. :D

I have found, too, that people that come to a "home based salon" have a tendency to not feel like it is a "real' business and take advantage quite often. I have done everything possible to make my salon look and feel separate from my home and more professional looking in appearance and atmosphere and it has helped. And my salon is actually separate from my home as it is a stand alone building on my property next to my house. I also have clear signs stating my cancelation policy.

Totally agree with you. I do work from one of my bedrooms but it is a proper room on one side of the landing where the rest of the house is on the other side. I have a less formal thingy as my clients have, in general been with me for years. I work on a theory that if you keep them too scared to stand you up they will always at least text to say they can't come!

My girlies are very good and new clients are read the riot act before they begin so that there are no misunderstandings. Then we can all enjoy the treatments and have a good laugh! :D

keep your chin up! i know its annoying especially as you changed your plans but in the end it will be her loss! - maybe karma will bite her in the ass and she'll regret blowing you out.

i cant stand time wasters so i know how you feel!!!!

and its such a shame that it happened with your first client too

Jodie x x

Hi, I opened my home salon in December and the same thing happen to me. I was gutted but since then have built up lovely group of clients and it is growing weekly. Still have the very odd no show but it doesnt sting as much, although the last one was a spray tan and that got to me as I have to completely move my room around to put up the tent etc.
One peice of advice I would give is to text new/maybe unreliable clients the day before, Ive found they then either text back with excuse and cancel or at least let you know in some way.
Don't let it get you down hun, its all part of the job I'm afraid but there are also many more good parts too :)
Lots of luck to you.

Heather x

Oh no, as said above at least you have had your first no show, hate that disapointed feeling when you get all excited and it didnt happen. I get it with mobile some people ring me up and ask if I do it for a hobby or when i am there if its evening ask if I have a job in a "real" salon. Even though my price lists business cards etc clearly say I am qualified and insured etc. At least with mobile work you dont get no shows like that though, I know where they live ;) x

Hi, thanks for your lovely comments. I should have been prepared for disappointment, my husband runs a motorcycle training school and he often gets all set up, moving bikes around and then no show. He now charges a deposit if an appointment is booked well in advance, but I don't think this would work with me, what do you think?

I had this happen to me when I first started, the client who didnt turn up for her appointment made no apologies at all and when she re booked I gave her the benefit of the doubt and she turned up on time ! not only that I can honestly say she is probably one of my best clients and recomends me to everyone ! I know not everyone has the same experience but I have had no shows too and its gutting especially if you have had to turn someone away because you are busy that day ! Keep your chin up its her loss not yours !

Why not try taking a 50% deposit with new clients, i have just recently got myself a card machine and now take deposit over the phone with new clients. I have had the same problem myself and it was so disappointing, when new clients book just explain to them politely that this is your policy because of what has happened, they dont mind at all if they are genuine clients and if they are not it puts them off straight away.Before i had the card machine they just used to drop the money through my door in an envelope. It might not work for everyone but it works for me , good luck with your business x x x
Drewiex:D

Hi, how much do they charge for a card machine?

Latest posts

Back