Fungal infection on 5 nails-is a pedicure allowed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xkayla_herex

Xamyx
Reaction score
A client has asked if she can have a pedicure still even though she has 5 nails with a fungal infection.

I have not come across this before and not sure if I can go ahead with this treatment or not. I know I should know but if anyone could let me know ASAP if I should carry out treatment or not it would be really appriciated.

Kayla xx

If it has been confirmed by her GP that it is in fact a fungal infection then short answer is NO you cannot carry out a treatment on those nails

I would not touch them! Fungal infections can be spread and passed on.

NO NO NO! Absolutely not! and you should ask her to go to her GP to have it checked out.

Definitely not!!! If you do you risk passing it on to yourself and all your other clients. Anything that touches that fungus will cause it to spread. Big no no!!! Do not work on her until she receives a clearance from her doctor. You will need to have her provide this in writing.

If you sterilize your equipment ( autoclave) and use disposable file/ buffer then it on.
It's ok and don't worry about the polish as this is a solvent and the fungus will not survive so you don't need to worry about transferring the infection...

Fungal infections are complete contraindications and should not be worked on until the infection is gone and the client has a letter from their GP confirming this. I really wouldn't chance it.

I definitely would not be doing it regardless of using disposables and an autoclave. Not only is it unprofessional working on people with contagious contraindications, people talk. Do you want the reputation of being the one that works on people with fungal infections? If someone told me that a therapist works on people with contagious contraindications, theres no way id go to them and id be letting all my friends and family know not to go either. Word gets around fast and before you know it your business will collapse

A fungal infection is most definitely a contra-indication. Proceeding with a treatment will invalidate your insurance.

Thank you for all your help I will definatley not be carrying out this treatment. X

As a foot therapist and beautician I see many people with foot conditions that would not be observable without training. If you assume that all clients may have conditions and you use international sterilization techniques ( ultrasonic/ autoclave and disposables) then you will be protecting yourself and all your clients.
Many top salons are now collaborating with foot health professionals to offer medical pedicures maybe this is something you may want to consider?

Latest posts

Back