fungal infections

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunular

Reaction score
a client of mine has fungal infected toe nails and wants gel put on them as she read in a mag that it actually helps the infection she showed me the ad and i rang the company and they told me that it was safe to put gel on infected nails i thought you should not enhance infected nails please help as i would like to help this client if i can

Hi
Look at the LCN site, they give a great tutorial on enhancing fungal nails.

Lynda

Sorry, but what is the LCN site? Ive just finished my Manicuring course and have been approached by a client from our school- asking me if I'd give her a pedicure at home, being that we were not allowed to work on her at school because of a fungal infection on her toe. Do a majority of you guys work on feet if they have a fungus?

Thnx :)

Lynda said:
Hi
Look at the LCN site, they give a great tutorial on enhancing fungal nails.

Lynda

Hi
LCN I think is now Beauty Concepts, www.lcnuk.com I don't no what availability they have in the USA.
A severe condition would be a contra indication for peducurists HTH

Lynda

I dont touch anyone who looks as though they have a fungal infection I would refer them to a doctor .

Ruby :D

hi guys
this is a tricky one.
our hands are like the desert as they are (usually) dry.
our feet are like the rain forest as they have a tendency to b damp.

fungal infections like damp, warm, dark conditions, so, unless you keep your hands wrapped up in socks and shoes all day, it is highly unlikely that you will get a fungal infection on your hands/nails. (there can b instances, but there are usually inherent from within the body, extremely rare)

fungal infections are invasive.
the infection will enter the layers of the nail plate which is what the organisms survive on, unlike a bacterial infection, which is non-invasive and survives on the oil & moisture on the surface of the nail plate.

the best thing you can do for a client with a mild fungal infection is to give them a pedicure!
remove all the dead skin cells surrounding the nail plate, give the organisms less to go on.
there is two reasons however that would stop u doing this.
1.not enough knowledge (read doug schoons book, all u need to know is in there), also, creative now offer manicure & pedicure to masters level, get as much education as you can, before you carry out something you're not sure of.
2. insufficient disinfection of ALL your implements including your spa bowl. never use a spa pedicure bowl that is like a jacussi, ie that churns the water around inside the spa. you will not be able to sufficiently disinfect inside, & fungal spores will sit there.
the best thing to use is a simple round or square bowl.
any implements that aren't metal,ie wooden cuticle sticks, if used must be thrown away.

the bottom line is this:

if you have just finished school, and you don't feel that you have the knowledge to deal with something like this, leave it alone. get some more education, & read the relevant books.

the fact remains though, that these conditions benfit from pedicuring, so aspire to be able to treat these clients.

NB. just to be sure, fungal infections are whitish in colour, chalky in appearence, & the nail plate is usually thickened.
a bacterial infection is identified by a greenish stain, the nail doesn't thicken.

liza

liza smith said:
hi guys
this is a tricky one.
our hands are like the desert as they are (usually) dry.
our feet are like the rain forest as they have a tendency to b damp.

fungal infections like damp, warm, dark conditions, so, unless you keep your hands wrapped up in socks and shoes all day, it is highly unlikely that you will get a fungal infection on your hands/nails. (there can b instances, but there are usually inherent from within the body, extremely rare)

fungal infections are invasive.
the infection will enter the layers of the nail plate which is what the organisms survive on, unlike a bacterial infection, which is non-invasive and survives on the oil & moisture on the surface of the nail plate.

the best thing you can do for a client with a mild fungal infection is to give them a pedicure!
remove all the dead skin cells surrounding the nail plate, give the organisms less to go on.
there is two reasons however that would stop u doing this.
1.not enough knowledge (read doug schoons book, all u need to know is in there), also, creative now offer manicure & pedicure to masters level, get as much education as you can, before you carry out something you're not sure of.
2. insufficient disinfection of ALL your implements including your spa bowl. never use a spa pedicure bowl that is like a jacussi, ie that churns the water around inside the spa. you will not be able to sufficiently disinfect inside, & fungal spores will sit there.
the best thing to use is a simple round or square bowl.
any implements that aren't metal,ie wooden cuticle sticks, if used must be thrown away.

the bottom line is this:

if you have just finished school, and you don't feel that you have the knowledge to deal with something like this, leave it alone. get some more education, & read the relevant books.

the fact remains though, that these conditions benfit from pedicuring, so aspire to be able to treat these clients.

NB. just to be sure, fungal infections are whitish in colour, chalky in appearence, & the nail plate is usually thickened.
a bacterial infection is identified by a greenish stain, the nail doesn't thicken.

liza

Fab post Liza!!!!!!

Amanda

thank you all for your help i have been in contact with lcn and they were very helpful still not sure if i should gel the infected nail though

I have been a qualified Nail technition Beauty Therapist for 9 years I am insured by the Guild of Professional Beauty Therapists.
My insurance does not cover me to undertake the proceedure of treating a fungal infection either on the toenails or the fingernails .
As far as I know Babtac have the same rules.
If anyone is unsure they should contact their insurance company to check first.
You never know they are always changing their minds.

Ruby :D

you're so right ruby, about insurance companies.
they are a bit like some doctors, they look at information from decades ago & set guidelines that have been out of date for as long.

its like the chiropodists that still insist on slicing off chunks off skin with a razor blade :eek:
it is now widely understood that any "attack" on skin like this will only encourage the skin to repair itself by thickening up twice as fast. hence the chicken & egg situation!
the thickening of the skin in that area is there for a reason, to protect the bones & tendons of the foot from either incorrect posture or ill fitting shoes. the callous should be softened with aha solutions by a professional product regularly & regular pedicures carried out with good home care.

i cannot understand what the insurance companies have a problem with, surely this is the same as telling a facial therapist that they mustn't deal with a client who has a condition called acne.
surely the pre-requisites to completing a treatment on a client with a slightly delicate condition is
1. you have the correct education & qualifications to carry out the said treatment correctly & effectively.
2. that you sanitise & disinfect all your tools, & be completely sanitary & profession throughout.

non the less, check anyway!
liza x

I'd be very wary of doing anything to hands or feet that have a fungal infection. This type of infection is contageous (acne isn't). It is very easy to spread the infected area and fungal spores are resistant to disinfectant methods. It is only sterilization that can destroy them and not many salons have the genuine strilization equipment that can guarantee the total destruction of fungal spores. (This is only for metal tools, there are also other equipment like towels to be taken into condideration)

In saying this, anyone who has undertaken training from a reputable company that specifically deals with this condition and has fully covered every aspect from a health and safety point of view plus has the written approval of their insurance company (it is a genuine contra-indication), would be safe to provide a service.

I just wanted to make this point in case any Geek without the very specific training etc thinks that a fungal infection is not contra indicated

Latest posts

Back