Fungal nails? My client never had before now has on every finger on one hand!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lozenja

Reaction score
My regular never had any probs with her nails and now has what seems to be a fungal nail infection in each of her fingers on the right hand.

I only do Bio-Gel overlays on her and am very careful to steralise all my implements. No other client has any signs on their fingernails!!

r u sure it is fungal?? what do the nails look like?

Firstly. Lets define if it is indeed fungal or bacterial.
Take a read of the link below to clarify this...
moldy ol fun guys

Secondly. Lets define sterilizing and sanitation to ensure we are all talking the same language...
sanitation in the salon

This information should be taught in every training and should be clearly understood by every tech ... The answers you need are readily available.
And even if it is an infection them Doug schoons product chemistry and nail anatomy book would have been the best resource you could possibly have...

Hths

Looks like Onychomycosis as per Doug Scoons book?

Attachments

• geek.jpg
    geek.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 9,461
Yes, did quite an extensive study of disinfection and nail conditions in my course but I still find it hard to diagnose as I work alone? I bought Doug Schoon's book as a reference guide a while back

Yes, did quite an extensive study of disinfection and nail conditions in my course but I still find it hard to diagnose as I work alone? I bought Doug Schoon's book as a reference guide a while back

To me it looks like some sort of allergic reaction. Maybe exposure to some sort of harsh chemical. But u can never b sure. Clip them all the way back and have her use solar oil like a mad person :) if it doesn't clear up, send her to the doctor.

looks fungal ......
result01.jpg

but it's not ....

pathology.jpg

Only doctors know ... and only after tests

1st_problem.jpg

then

2nd_problem.jpg

then

3rd_problem_a.jpg

then

3rd_problem_b.jpg

Want to see some more graphic images, videos even ....real stuff (in the salon), not made up .... and the end results ? Let me know :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't like to comment on whether it is or whether it isn't.

But anyway, I thought I'd just mention the time when my friend went on holiday with her already 3 week old gel nails. After a while there was a bit of lifting to be seen as they were well overdue for maintenance. But she had taken her trusty nail-glue with her, washed her hands (to make sure they were clean - probably her worst move), and glued down all the lifting.

She then painted them dark purple and came to me another 2.5 weeks down the line for maintenance.

When I removed the dark purple they were ALL green. Not all over, but some green on every one.

Are you sure your client hasn't done a similar thing?

She probably hasn't, but thought I'd share anyway.

(I'd also add this was quite a few years ago when I was having a few lifting problems which I've subsequently ironed out in all but the most stubborn cases - anyway though, she was pushing the time boundaries regardless) x

Doug Schoon has a book?!

Sorry to jump in. I need this in my life: Anyone have a link?

Sorry Op for jumping on your thread. I hope you sort things out for your client.

I wouldn't like to comment on whether it is or whether it isn't.

But anyway, I thought I'd just mention the time when my friend went on holiday with her already 3 week old gel nails. After a while there was a bit of lifting to be seen as they were well overdue for maintenance. But she had taken her trusty nail-glue with her, washed her hands (to make sure they were clean - probably her worst move), and glued down all the lifting.

She then painted them dark purple and came to me another 2.5 weeks down the line for maintenance.

When I removed the dark purple they were ALL green. Not all over, but some green on every one.

Are you sure your client hasn't done a similar thing?

She probably hasn't, but thought I'd share anyway.

(I'd also add this was quite a few years ago when I was having a few lifting problems which I've subsequently ironed out in all but the most stubborn cases - anyway though, she was pushing the time boundaries regardless) x

That sounds like a bacterial infection if on top of nail plate and green. Another client got this when she got her nails done in Vegas. We killed it easily with peroxide and it grew out in about 2-3 months. It can quite easily happen when you get a moisture pocket btw nail and product.

My clients nail is dis-attaching from finger and nail. You can stick an orange stick under the nail quite far up. Esp on little finger. I dont buff the nail plate and only do overlays on her so dont think it is from damage etc.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

looks fungal ......
result01.jpg

but it's not ....

pathology.jpg

Only doctors know ... and only after tests

1st_problem.jpg

then

2nd_problem.jpg

then

3rd_problem_a.jpg

then

3rd_problem_b.jpg

Want to see some more graphic images, videos even ....real stuff (in the salon), not made up .... and the end results ? Let me know :)

Yes!!! I studied nursing for a bit and my fav show is RPA so i am super keen to see any images or videos... The more i can see the better i could diagnose.. Though always sending client to DRs is a must. Hence us leaving my clients nails bare so she can seek advise from Dr and pharmacy.

I can pm you my email?

We can't diagnose .... Doctors diagnose, hence me posting lab results.

We can't diagnose .... Doctors diagnose, hence me posting lab results.

True True... I guess I want to feel like I know a little about nail health working in this field. Not to tell clients that "that is the diagnosis"

My clients nail is dis-attaching from finger and nail. You can stick an orange stick under the nail quite far up. Esp on little finger. I dont buff the nail plate and only do overlays on her so dont think it is from damage etc.

That's Onycholysis, very difficult to get rid of while there is any length (or strength) on the nail, as soon as a little bit heals, it just takes one knock and you are back to square one .... Also the nail will shed more skin cells underneath to try and solve the problem, these shed skin cells (if not cleaned out from under the nail) will also prevent the nail from re-attaching itself, kinda like festering to get rid of a splinter (it's the way the body works), if there is crap stuck under the nail, it can't possibly re-attach itself.

It depends on the clients nail structure and what product you use, primer is the enemy, (so many techs are taught to tilt the nail forward while priming) and often using an over-sized brush with too much primer ...... it flows under the hyponychium, it can eat into the tender flesh and cause separation (some monomers can cause this too, some monomers contains acids, but use synonyms (excluding the word "ACID") to make them sound less harsh),when in fact they are just as bad ...... so can the shrinkage of gel products (making the nail tighter than naturally designed), overfiling/thinning and the use of drills (almost cooking the blood cells due to friction).

In my years of experience, I find there are 3 types of Onycholysis.

1. The condition itself (even on Natural Nails) never touched by anything (never seen all that many of these).
2. Mechanical (caused by drills and over-filing), or a really hard knock (not a disease as such), more a condition
3. Chemical (caused by over-priming, or any chemical the nail is exposed to), not a disease as such, more a condition.

Many just say oooooh, "she's got Onycholysis", run, hide and point the finger (often in the wrong direction) ----- (blaming the client), without looking for the reason behind it, which is often caused by a careless technician.

Onycholysis has become very broad and Idiopathic, when most causes can be traced.

Hmmm i dont use a drill, dont do infils only soak offs, Bio-Gel doesnt require primer. Could she be allergic to acetone? Or Bio-Gel itself?

My steps doing her nails...

1. Buff off top coat with nail file
2. Soak product in Biogel remover on a small amount of wonderwipe wrapped in foil for 15mins
3. Scrape off lifted gel with new orangewood stick
4. Push back cuticle off nail plate
5. File free edge
6. Scrub fresh nail
7. One coat clear (cure)
8. Two coat colour (cure each)
9. One coat sealer (cure)
10. One coat UV top coat (cure)
11. Wipe nail with isopropyl alcohol
12. Rub in Solar oil around nail plate.

Finished!

Prob done her nails 10 times? Every 2-3 weeks.

She mentioned she has been doing a lot gardening/mulching with gloves on?

Looks like mold! I once had a client come to me for an infill after 5weeks. She was not my regular client, (she saw another nail tech in town), when I removed her polish, she had green nails on all nails. I advised her that I needed to remove her l&p and she needed to see a dr. I asked how long had she had the green nails and she said months. She only wanted to get infills every 5-6 weeks, I assume to save money. She had alot of lifting and I assume water just laid under the l&p and became stagnant and moldy. I refused to do an infill on her and she left in a tizzy! What's worse is, why was her usual nail tech infilling damaged nails?

Looks like mold! I once had a client come to me for an infill after 5weeks. She was not my regular client, (she saw another nail tech in town), when I removed her polish, she had green nails on all nails. I advised her that I needed to remove her l&p and she needed to see a dr. I asked how long had she had the green nails and she said months. She only wanted to get infills every 5-6 weeks, I assume to save money. She had alot of lifting and I assume water just laid under the l&p and became stagnant and moldy. I refused to do an infill on her and she left in a tizzy! What's worse is, why was her usual nail tech infilling damaged nails?

Mold does not grow on nails..Make sure you are giving accurate advice and I am not trying to be rude in saying this. But it is not accurate. When you see green you are most often seeing a bacterial infection...not mold.

http://www.salongeek.com/health-safety-unatural/2641-moldy-oldy-fun-guys.html

Ok peeps, client has come back and advised it is fungal and was told it was most likely she caught doing gardening (damp enviroment for decent time frames) she told me she had mulched her large garden. So just goes to show that a proffessional opinion is needed! Feel bad for my client :/ but at least she is on road to recovery!

Ok peeps, client has come back and advised it is fungal and was told it was most likely she caught doing gardening (damp enviroment for decent time frames) she told me she had mulched her large garden. So just goes to show that a proffessional opinion is needed! Feel bad for my client :/ but at least she is on road to recovery!

So how is her doctor treating her ? Creams, tablets, fungal tablets are VERY expensive, there are quite a few very cheap alternatives.

A topical ointment to begin with then i guess she will have to try tablets if not successful. I know most drs are reluctant to prescribe tablets due to side effects & having to take for long time periods...

Latest posts

Back