Funny nail....does anyone know what could be wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sher16

Reaction score
Hi all,

My mum has quite weak, spoon shaped nails (only sort of humped shaped not indented way - from cuticle to free edge they arch up and back down again but very much so) nothing wrong with them they just have always grown very rounded....

She gets shellac every 14days but hasnt for the last 5 weeks - just due to her work etc and us both being busy - anyway i did her new set last night and was concerned with her thumb. She said she has been picking the side which i could see so i gave her a row ;-) but the actual thing i was worried about was as follows-

The nail grows very rounded but as far as i could see this shape stopped where the white free edge starts and it is almost as if there is a dent /crease between the white and pink of her nail bed- i asked if she had bent it at some stage and she said no. It is very strong and her nails are quite brittle that im certain if she had bent it, it would have snapped off.

If i havent explained i could try and draw a picture and upload

Has anyone seen this?

I filed the free edge right down and gave it a really good pep and super scrubed with scrubfresh and when done i literally soaked it with solar oil. And topped up her bottle and told her to apply it generously 2-3 times a day for nxt two weeks and hoping the dent will have grown out and when i file it down again in two weeks itll be gone !!

Just thought id share incase this was something I have perhaps never seen before?

It sounds like a Beaus line.

Has your Mam been ill recently?

A sudden illness can cause Beaus lines and basically it means the nails stop growing when you are ill and then start again when you are better, so that would cause the little bump you are talking about. It would usually start on the thumb.

It's a line going right across the nail from side wall to side wall.

Is that what you mean?

Hi Angel

Thanx for replying...

Not really ill so to speak.......

She has lost about 5 stone this ur through dieting and now down to size 12 ish so much healthier lately tbh, fitter etc! (she says she has a new lease of life ;-) ) she does have IBS but thats not really a serious illness. Its only appeared in last 5 weeks as definitely wasnt there before. Her nails arent great have always been very rounded and never grow long ish apart from thumbs - shellac had them growing so lovely im gutted we havent been able to do it for 5 weeks as they were so healthy looking. Alot f her nails have verticle ridges - not really bad but slight. These had all grown out alot since shellac and in last 5 weeks some are back too.

I have drawn a bit of a picture to try show you the shape of her nail and what i mean her nail grows very archrd and its almost as if the free edge grows out straight not following the same arch as nail bed, and therefore there is a crease between nailbed & natural white free edge...very odd... sorry its handrawn but cant find any similar images online!!!! Dont laugh at my drawing Pls ha-ha ;-)

If its still there ill take a pic of her nail in 13 days when i remove her shellac, didnt have my phone last night to take some snaps of it...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1322128814.741043.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1322128814.741043.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 249
Anyone else know what this could be! At a bit of a loss !

Latest posts

Back