Geek help please - I'm going ginger!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Figgy

Reaction score
I've been getting my hair highlighted for a few years. I like low maintenance hair so never have anything too drastic as it generally requires upkeep! (I am prob a hairdresser's nightmare - so boring!) Anyway, recently I changed hairdresser and she put an all-over colour on my hair before highlights. It was lighter than my natural hair colour and there are 2 problems I am hoping to fix...

1) it is growing out with really noticeable roots.
2) as it fades it is going ginger!

Basically, I hoped someone could help advise me what to ask for when go back next week. She cuts really well so I am going back to her again. Ideally, I want natural looking highlights and I need to get the base colour back to natural...not sure what to say.

Any advice?

Thanks so much

xxx

firstly - welcome to the site!

Secondly - just tell her what you have just told us what you want!! If she is any good at her job she will know exactly what you mean! x

Hey just embrace your ginger side and I'll meet you in the ginger refuge (in my best Catherine Tate voice!!!!)

Only kidding - hope you get it sorted :hug:

Hi , if your hair is shortish ,
I would have thought she could weave out all your highlights
first in foils ,
then apply a light brown (quasi / demi ) colour such as color touch all over the rest of the hair in between ,

colour touch
is a longer lasting semi and will keep the hair in nice condition

this would provide the lighter brown natural looking base and help tone down the ginger ,

if your hair is longer then she would have to be very careful of grab on the ends especially where it has been previously highlighted as this can go kahki looking and very dark ,
longer hair is more difficult and may require a colour correction job .

so do have some test pieces done first

I would only go ahead if your test pieces were all to your liking , and the condition of your hair was good .

All hairdressers have their own way of working and the hairdresser who does your hair would probably be able to answer all your questions a lot better than I can , (as I cannot see your hair to asses it .)

I would have a thorough consultation with her and make sure she does the test pieces for you first . hth :hug: x

Really appreciate your help. Thanks guys! xx

I know this has been said already, but I want to agree and say I would make sure you explain everything exactly as you have to us. It's so important to have good communication with your technician - they can't help otherwise!

I was going to ask if you knew what brown was used - perhaps try something a little cooler next time? My natural brown base is quite warm, so it always kicks up a little more red as the colour settles down and starts fading out, so I choose a cooler brown to start with - it might be worth asking the technician this.

I agreed with the comment about a quasi colour, I've always liked those as they fade gradually and your re-growth looks much better with this technique!

Latest posts

Back