Geeks you miss

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The information,the helping with questions,help with running a business and keeping up to date or the people and the banter.
All of it, that makes a good forum, that makes you come back and contribute (in many ways), why should we choose? :D

A decision to ban is always the last option - hence my statement before about there being very few that have had that privilege over the span of our 12 year history. There are only so many discussions, infractions, thread closures, warnings, etc... before "enough" becomes "enough". The moderator team are volunteers here, not baby sitters. Just like the site is for professionals, not playgrounders.

I perfectly understand your point, this forum is extremely useful and educational and it should stay this way but frankly I couldn't see anything really nasty going on here even though I was here 2-3 times a week (not for hours but still). I have no idea (and no interest) why guys got banned but I can't believe they've done anything extreme (even though I'm not a friend of any of them), I'm not buying it. Also as a former admin I know there's plenty of tools to deal with '****uations' and discipline people and ban is the last solution - so to me, in my personal opinion, it all looks a bit like Salon Geek Village now, personal games etc. It was just nice to have a little laugh or rant after hard day at work, that's all. Oh well, nevermind.

I have to agree with you there Annabel. And I'd like to add that we don't know what was going on in the background, via PM's, so none of us have the whole picture.
He who is free from sin, cast the first stone.

Plus, in my opinion, it's not the banned geeks that cannot post here anymore that is the issue. It's all of those very talented, knowledgeable, professional geeks that CHOOSE to no longer partake in this forum that make it a poorer place. For whatever reason they have. Shame.

Also as a former admin I know there's plenty of tools to deal with '****uations' and discipline people and ban is the last solution - so to me, in my personal opinion, it all looks a bit like Salon Geek Village now, personal games etc.

You hit the nail on the head.

A decision to ban is always the last option - hence my statement before about there being very few that have had that privilege over the span of our 12 year history. There are only so many discussions, infractions, thread closures, warnings, etc... before "enough" becomes "enough". The moderator team are volunteers here, not baby sitters. Just like the site is for professionals, not playgrounders.
You guys do what you think you need to do - I only have an opinion, that's all.

Of course you do (just like I do)! I agree with much of your sentiment. Only pointing out that most of what we do is behind the scenes (you would be surprised at just how much "crap" the team have to shift through). Rest assured that banning is not taken lightly and not something any of us enjoy having to discuss and do

Of course you do (just like I do)! I agree with much of your sentiment. Only pointing out that most of what we do is behind the scenes (you would be surprised at just how much "crap" the team have to shift through). Rest assured that banning is not taken lightly and not something any of us enjoy having to discuss and do

Out of interest, are bans discussed beforehand? Or is it down to the individual moderator? I've often wondered.

Always discussed. Usually in multiple page threads (unless we are talking spammers or dupe accounts)

It's just a shame that this forum is going the way it is. I'm afraid to express an opinion. Every little thing I post, I'm thinking about 4 times before I do. I miss virtues, winnie, mobile manicure et al because the wealth of knowledge they brought to the forum is actually a huge loss to this community. The real trolls are actually still on here. Instead, we have lost several highly intelligent therapists, and we're left with, well, I'm saying no more.

Now waiting on my ban.

I am actually extremely lucky that I was invited to the 'Village of the banned' (by the way, that is extremely offensive). Those girls have been nothing but helpful. I do still get helpful advice here, but more often than not, I'm afraid to ask for advice myself for fear of nastiness.

Last edited:
I miss bluerinse :( xxx

I am actually extremely lucky that I was invited to the 'Village of the banned' (by the way, that is extremely offensive). Those girls have been nothing but helpful. I do still get helpful advise here, but more often than not, I'm afraid to ask for advice myself for fear of nastiness.

I have to agree with you - on both your posts. Hope you don't get banned! Although we can just return to the village ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have to agree with you - on both your posts. Hope you don't get banned! Although we can just return to the village ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hunni, it needs to be said. Ban me all they want. Some of the stuff that's been aimed at me is not blooming on. Then virtues gets banned. Virtues was one if the most knowledgable and helpful geeks going (I'll crawl out her bum later!), but in all honesty, she helped a heck of a lot of people.

I have to say I'm finding SalonGeek a bit bland at the moment but I've not been able to find another professional beauty forum - any suggestions? I'll stay loyal to SG but something's changed - it's not as feisty. :)

Wha? Nothing but helpful? You certainly aren't seeing all the posts I can see. Also, FWIW, not all you mentioned were banned.

The drama should really stay in the salon staff room because it is sort of silly here.

I have to say I'm finding SalonGeek a bit bland at the moment but I've not been able to find another professional beauty forum - any suggestions? I'll stay loyal to SG but something's changed - it's not as feisty. :)
There are loads :) In fact, I started this site to be a niche collection of professionals dedicated to furthering our profession and to provide a haven from the catty forum trawlers that would infest other forums I frequented. I totally empathise if you have outgrown or become bored of the site. But as mentioned, there are plenty others to participate in that may be more to your liking.

Wha? Nothing but helpful? You certainly aren't seeing all the posts I can see. Also, FWIW, not all you mentioned were banned.

The drama should really stay in the salon staff room because it is sort of silly here.

To me they are nothing but helpful. Yes, they like their banter-don't we all-but their ban has taken away a huge resource of expertise. And like everyone says, SG has changed, and not for the better.

Problem is that this site is not just for professionals. It's open to everyone. Which means anyone can look for advice and also lots of people can offer incorrect (sometimes dangerous advice) to pro and non pros alike.

More recently the repetitive rubbish out weights the helpful stuff.

The biz geek defo lacks anyone giving helpful advice since the banned ones left.

Sorry you feel that way, but I would disagree (and so would the activity log)

Everyone has their idea of what the perfect vision of SalonGeek.com is. Who am I to disagree? All I can do is try to guide our team to continue the vision that has brought us to this stage that has taken 12 years of dedication. We very rarely ban and it is only after extensive discussion between the team and warnings.

The people you cite contributed constructively on a very small % compared to the amount of crap they continually stirred. Sad to see the constructive part go, but happy to be rid of the crap. Ike may have had a few good points, but Tina was right to get rid of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back