Geeky employers!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemsie1983

Reaction score
At the moment seen as I'm bursting with enthusiasm and want to get as much experience of this industry as possible, I am currently compiling a letter and CV for some work experience in a salon.

What i am looking at doing is working on a Saturday on a voluntary basis, on reception in a salon then maybe moving on to helping set up treatment rooms, maybe helping with the marketing (as thats what i do at the moment) etc.

Now i feel i have a lot to offer but how do i get this across in a short letter and CV?

Suppose what i am asking you geeks (especially employers) is what would make you look at someones letter and CV and not just file it in the bin?

These are the main points i want to get across (without sounding too arrogant)

• I am enthusiastic and reliable.
  • I am serious about this Industry and therefore very passionate.
  • I can offer you something in return for experience.
  • I am mature and a profeesional and I would a good representative of the company.
  • I have a high standard of education.
Any pointers would be great!

Thanks in advance

Hey there, just wondering why you don't want to try get paid reception work in a salon? You are selling yourself short saying you have all this to offer but will give it for free, especially with the marketing experience you have. This will just (in my opinion) send out the signal that they can take advantage of you. There is no reason, keen as you are, that they would not want to pay you for your services (minimum wage at least) especially on a weekend. I worked on reception in a salon while I trained. I was paid £5 an hour.

hths

Hey there, just wondering why you don't want to try get paid reception work in a salon? You are selling yourself short saying you have all this to offer but will give it for free, especially with the marketing experience you have. This will just (in my opinion) send out the signal that they can take advantage of you. There is no reason, keen as you are, that they would not want to pay you for your services (minimum wage at least) especially on a weekend. I worked on reception in a salon while I trained. I was paid £5 an hour.

hths

Right thanks for your advice, I was thinking that a salon wouldn't really want to pay a receptionist when they can just dish it out between the staff?

Prehaps i should re-think my plans

This may be the case in some salons but if I were you I would try the paid reception work route first, then the volunteering. In most salons it works better to have a separate person on reception as therapists can make more money doing treatments. x :hug:

Yes, don't offer yourself out for free! Do NOT sell yourself short, hun. You're worth more than that.

There ARE paying jobs out there.

Also, good things to add are "works well under pressure", "learns quickly", "strong interpersonal skills" (meaning works well with people).

hth's:hug:

Latest posts

Back