Gel + clients nails burning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bella_nails

Reaction score
Hi All,
I had a new client come to me yesterday for NNO as shes going to a wedding on saturday, she was abit worried about having them done as she had had them done in the past (by a different tech) and had a very bad experiance.
She cant remember what gel it was that was used in the past but asked me did Bio Sculpture burn/heat the nail up under the light!!!!! i said no, i said that myself and all my other clients had never experianced this, and i carried on and asked her why. When she had them done in the past she said that when the tech asked her to put her hand under the uv she also said to her that when she starts to feel them heat up to remove her hand, she waited about 10sec and it started, she decribed it to me as having hot pokers going through her nails. she said that it was very painful, and when she had the gel removed at a later date her nails had all lumps and bumps in them and it took about a year for it to grow out. This is why she was very weary about having them done again but she doesnt like the look of her nails. she had a NNO in french and when i had finished she was over the moon, i was very happy that i had put her mind to rest with the gel that i was using, and i think she will def be back.
Is this normal with gel as i have never heard this? and what gel could this have been?

Thank peeps, just thought id try and get some light on the subject. x

I'm not sure about what you have described but i know that if a tech applies the gel too thickly then when the hand goes under the lamp it can feel as if it's burning but should stop within about 10secs.

When gel is applied too thick or the nails are thin it can happen with some gels....best to apply using thinner layers and to hold the hand near the lamp so they are just in view of the light for a few mins first before going into the lamp.

Some clients feel it more than others...some don't feel it at all.

I pretty much know if/when it ill happen and prevent it.

Last edited:
I have had this happen to me.... And I know why.... it was when i first started doing gel nails and I was so worried about removing all the shine... I removed most of my nail plate.... OMG BURN it did... like fire...
If you know your client is sensitive then tell them to put their hands on the very edge of the lamp for about 20 secs and then slowly put them in all the way..
This burning will only last a few seconds.. but it does hurt just the same

Well done for pleasing your client.. she will come back. :)

Thanks guys,
Its just very strange how the gel (dont know what brand it was) that the previous tech used done this but when i done her nails last night with Bio she said it was fine and she didnt feel a thing.
I do feel quite proud that i put her mind at eez after her bad experiance. xx

Though some gels are less likely than others to 'burn' a clients nails, the reality is that any gel can burn.

When Gel cures, it gives off a small exotherm (heat). Depending on the gel formulation and the UV output of the lamp, the heat can be a little or it can be a lot!

The heat only hangs around for a moment. However! The thicker gel is applied, the longer it takes for the exotherm to dissipate (thick gel acts like a 'blanket' keeping heat in), which means that the heat 'builds up' faster than it can escape. If it is thick enough, and/or the clients nails are thin enough, you can bet your bottom socks that they will feel it!

So in a nutshell:
1- The thicker the application, the more heat is generated
2- The thinner the nail plate, the less 'insulation' the nail bed has from the heat generated.

Thinner nails should have thinner coats applied and do what you can to use a 'cool' cure gel with a UV lamp that gives off the appropriate amount of UV light for the gel.

HTHs!

Latest posts

Back