Gel extensions always breaking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The nail shack

Reaction score
Please help me before I end up screaming or quitting!!
I qualified via a distance learning course (which I wouldn't recommend as you've nobody to guide you or show you correctly).. I recently completed the 'complete nail technician' which covered all the basics and acrylic & gel extensions. The course came complete with the edge acrylic kit and the edge gel kit as well as a short instructional DVD on application. I used the naio nails acrylic system before my kit arrived (as I didn't realise I would be receiving products in my kit) and practiced quite a lot with this system. I then went onto the edge acrylic system which I found better than naio, however I still wasn't loving the product. After reading up on lots of threads on this forum I decided to go for NSI attraction.

When starting on gel extensions I used the edge UV gel which was provided with my kit, however have since gone on to using NSI balance builder gel. I much prefer using gel as opposed to acrylic just because I think it gives a nicer finish and is easier to work with..... I'm just struggling with them staying on, I've had clients coming back after a few days with broken nails. I'm ensuring I build the apex and am doing all the correct prep! It's so frustrating!!

I know I should probably do a conversion course on the product I'm using however I've already spent an absolute fortune on training and products and being self employed it's very hard as I'm paying out a LOT more than I'm getting in

SORRY FOR SUCH A LONG QUESTION

Please help me before I end up screaming or quitting!!
I qualified via a distance learning course (which I wouldn't recommend as you've nobody to guide you or show you correctly).. I recently completed the 'complete nail technician' which covered all the basics and acrylic & gel extensions. The course came complete with the edge acrylic kit and the edge gel kit as well as a short instructional DVD on application. I used the naio nails acrylic system before my kit arrived (as I didn't realise I would be receiving products in my kit) and practiced quite a lot with this system. I then went onto the edge acrylic system which I found better than naio, however I still wasn't loving the product. After reading up on lots of threads on this forum I decided to go for NSI attraction.

When starting on gel extensions I used the edge UV gel which was provided with my kit, however have since gone on to using NSI balance builder gel. I much prefer using gel as opposed to acrylic just because I think it gives a nicer finish and is easier to work with..... I'm just struggling with them staying on, I've had clients coming back after a few days with broken nails. I'm ensuring I build the apex and am doing all the correct prep! It's so frustrating!!

I know I should probably do a conversion course on the product I'm using however I've already spent an absolute fortune on training and products and being self employed it's very hard as I'm paying out a LOT more than I'm getting in

SORRY FOR SUCH A LONG QUESTION

Please have a look at this thread http://www.salongeek.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help-gel-and-acrylic.297630/
We need more information. Also, even though you have paid out a lot, you're not going to be successful the way you're going. Do the conversion course.

I know what you mean, I started with a distance learning course and its not the same as having someone show you. I hadn't even got a computer 12 years ago when I first trained, let alone discovered this site. With hindsight I'm sure it wasn't the best route into the industry.

I've done 4 courses since then, all hands on, it can't be beaten. x

Where are the nails breaking? If you could describe in more detail exactly what's happening we can try and come up with some solutions for you :)

I'm even more confused about the numerous courses available... I live in West Yorkshire so either Manchester or Leeds are the nearest cities. They seem to be breaking at different points...although mainly it's the tip

if you post 3 photos one from a birds eye view, one from a side view and one down the barrel of the nail I will be able to advise you on your structure, which is almost certainly where your going wrong :)

Thank you I'll ask for pics xx

Latest posts

Back