Gel extensions not lasting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TigerTips

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Im currently renting a room and only allowed to do gel nail extensions. However, my clients keep coming back complaining they are only lasting a couple of days. Im doing everything by the book yet that's not helping. In at my wits end...
Thanks x

Hi Geeks,

Im currently renting a room and only allowed to do gel nail extensions. However, my clients keep coming back complaining they are only lasting a couple of days. Im doing everything by the book yet that's not helping. In at my wits end...
Thanks x

What gel are you using?

NSI Balance UV Gel Systems x

Talk us through everything you do...then maybe we can narrow things down and help you.
What Gel system are you using, and list your prep and application steps and I am sure our Gel geeks will be able to help.

Talk us through everything you do...then maybe we can narrow things down and help you.
What Gel system are you using, and list your prep and application steps and I am sure our Gel geeks will be able to help.

Have client wash their hands then i use sani-pure to make sure they're squeaky clean. Check for ny contraindications. Then i push back the cuticles, buff the nail with 180grit file. Wipe over with Nail Pure Plus to dehydrate the nail. Apply tips and buff with block buffer then shape, blend and apply balance bond primer. Apply thin layer of gel and set for 2 mins. I then added glitter etc then gel on top to add apex, freezing then doing a 2min set then filing and buffing the nail then adding Glaze n Go over top xx

Last edited by a moderator:
What Gel system are you using, and list your prep and application steps and I am sure our Gel geeks will be able to help.[/QUOTE

Have client wash their hands then i use sani-pure to make sure they're squeaky clean. Check for ny contraindications. Then i push back the cuticles, buff the nail with 180grit file. Wipe over with Nail Pure Plus to dehydrate the nail. Apply tips and buff with block buffer then shape, blend and apply balance bond primer. Apply thin layer of gel and set for 2 mins. I then added glitter etc then gel on top to add apex, freezing then doing a 2min set then filing and buffing the nail then adding Glaze n Go over top xx

When your 'pushing back the cuticles' are you actually removing non living tissue from the nail plate? Pushing back the cuticles is purely cosmetic really you must removed the non living tissue!
Also are you working the first layer of gel into the nail quite firmly? And do you have enough of an apex?
Are you flooding the skin at all at the cuticle area and are you leaving a tiny margin?

Mine are not lasting either, I qualified in June and have lost count the amount that I've done. I use nsi and have been doing exactly the same method, I charge people £10 as there just not lasting and obviously there still not happy, maybe it's down to practice or I'm doing something wrong I just don't know x

Biggest problems I had when starting were getting gel on the skin, which will always cause lifting, and not getting the nail completely clean. I would agree that 'pushing back' is not enough. There are some good video tutorials on line and some good prep advice on this site. CND's Cuticle Away is a godsend even if you don't use their other products.

Biggest problems I had when starting were getting gel on the skin, which will always cause lifting, and not getting the nail completely clean. I would agree that 'pushing back' is not enough. There are some good video tutorials on line and some good prep advice on this site. CND's Cuticle Away is a godsend even if you don't use their other products.

Same here, I now use cuticle away, scrubfresh and i make damn sure i dont get gel on the surrounding skin and it's mad a big difference for me.

So one can use cuticle away before enhancements? It's not oily. Or does the client have to wash their hands again after it's use?

So one can use cuticle away before enhancements? It's not oily. Or does the client have to wash their hands again after it's use?

You can use it before any system. Just be sure to use water after (with a tiny bit of soap added) to deactivate it. I do this by squirting my water on to my wipe and wiping the nails over ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back