Gel II, am I missing something?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurenSparkles

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I'm so confused I hope someone can help.

So all over fb iv been seeing Gel II this Gel II that. Where has this new fad come from? It's only through fb I know anything about it. It seems that it isn't just another gel polish brand but something that seems to be brain washing people?!

I'm a master cnd tech but I also use Nsi & gelish, so I'm not hear preaching cnd. However it appears a few well known educators have ditched cnd in favour of Gel II (a product in my eyes that come out of nowhere and has not been around in the uk for longer than 5 mins)....why?

I also don't understand where this sudden hatred has come from for CND, does someone know something I don't?

I'm also seeing people doing comparison swatches. Now although they don't have the same name they are VERY similar, surely this sounds abit similar to BlueSky?!

I feel like everyone is off to a party that I don't know about, and I'm baffled about Gel II.

If someone could fill me in that would be marvellous :)

I am glad you have written this thread Lauren as I feel the same as you.

Will be interested to hear peoples replies. :)

Im guilty of starting a thread on the CND FB page with regards to Gel II containing vitamins & how is this possible......well I was not prepared for what happened next!! The thread certainly opened my eyes & made me read on. Ive not seen the CND hatred but ive seen comments mentioning something bad thats happened. Im intrigued too!! Several nsil technicians including an ex CND EA said as it stands currently her clients would choose Gel II over CND!! That a massive statement :confused:

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Gel II is a new product to the UK market, but it's been out in the states before that.

The new distributor over here is The Creative Beauty Group who were formerly Creative Academy Bournemouth.

Gel II is a two step system (no base coat). They have standalone colours and Reactions (temperature changing colours).

I personally tried it based on a fellow nail tech using it and recommending it before the launch here at Olympia.

I carry three lines of gel polish: Gel II, Cuccio Veneer and CND Shellac. I carry those three lines as between them I can cover a large cross section of nail types and clients life styles. I love each system for different reasons.

Some are finding that Gel II lasts longer than their current brand. It's also a quick application and unless your clients nails need it, I do not buff the nail, so my prep is exactly the same as Shellac, though I don't use Scrub fresh I use DSperse. I got in other gel polish lines because of wanting a larger colour choice and a product that lasted longer than some clients could manage with Shellac.

It's not a fad, it's just a new gel polish. I find Gel II tougher than the systems I carry and I'm currently wearing mine with tips. It feels thinner than other gel polishes and it feels light on the nail.

It's a pity that when a new product is launched that we can't concentrate on its properties alone. This silly 'politics' that goes on is not needed. I always think that companies need to remain quiet and dignified in front of their customers, what goes on behind the scene is irrelevant to me. I don't care who sells what, I just care that I own and use a kick ass product.

I always say try it before you knock it (not saying you're knocking it of course), if you are happy with your products and your line is meeting all you and your clients expectations and requirements, then why would you try it? Us nail techs are a curious bunch though!

I love this industry for its fast paced, new, improved and innovative products. I think we're all pretty lucky. Xx

Here's my Gel II with tips.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1416768175268.jpg
    1416768175268.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 664
Last edited:
Without getting into any nitty gritty, S2 parted ways with a sub distributor earlier this year who is now the Gel 2 distributor. Needless to say, they are rather emotive regarding S2, CND and particularly me.

I don't know of any Ex CND Ambassadors that are not affiliated with them - so would suggest that you consider the source when presented with claims (which you should always do from anyone with a vested interest).

Ultimately I do think it is unfortunate that the focus seems to be on a message of vengeance over one of professional benefit, but that is just me.

Hope that helps

I think HF has said everything that I would have said, but she always puts things across much better!

Anyway, I just wanted to add that I have also purchased Gel II but to run along side CND Shellac, which is what most people are doing from what I read on the Creative Beauty Group's Facebook page. There is certainly no hatred of CND products coming over. Why would there be when we recognise and choose to work with quality products? It's just that Gel II offers so much more.

I'm a cnd nail tech and have brought gel II in to run alongside shellac, I did have some Gelish but clients didn't really take to it so I've since sold it all off, I love shellac and have to say love gel II I live that I don't have to buff, love the colours and the few clients that have tried it love it too, so to me to have two products that are both good and client will have is win win.

Some colours are a little similar but isn't that the same with Gelish, ibd, gellux and others there's always going to be similar colours, but also gel II have thr colour change range which is fab and something different, so another bonus

I maybe wrong but I have a sneaky suspicion that CND may do colour changing gel in 2015. So many other companies have it I hope CND do it too :)
Theres definitely things going on for 2015!!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Glad this thread has been started, as I've been a little confused myself about where it's come from all of a sudden.
I also think it's strange how ex cnd educators and nail techs that were close to sweet squared and cnd have suddenly gone to gel 2 😕

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't think it's odd, Gel II was at Olympia and you could see the potential then, I myself bought a few tried them and realised its a fab product so bought more and more. I still love CND shellac and believe gel II will be a good product to run side by side as do a lot of techs.

It just appears from fb (I'm part of various groups and follow numerous techs) that people are trying Gel II then suddenly develop a hatred for shellac. There is pros and cons for every item on the market but it seems once people try gel II all of a sudden Shellac is the worst thing ever invented. It's difficult to show what I mean without naming said groups & people (which I'm not going to do) but I'm not the only one that sees it as iv spoken to various nail tecs who have also said 'what's this gel II' I just haven't seen any advertising or marketing schemes then bang everyone is using it. Granted I wasn't at Olympia but it just seems that over night it's divided everyone.

Maybe il never know why, I'm happy with shellac and gelish so I'm in no need to try it :) x

I'm on loads of fb groups and yea a lot of techs are trying it and quite a few I know are using it along side shellac, some have sold of Gelish and know a couple that have changed from shellac to gel II, I think because it is new techs are trying it and showing of their pics and the colours and know the colour change ones are getting a lot of pic time, I've not seen the people hating shellac so missed that but I know it's different to shellac and I like it, but I won't get rid of shellac as my clients like it, but now have two options, like you do shellac and Gelish.

Personally I got rid of Gelish as I personally wore it a few times and it made me itch, gel II and shellac don't.

I think the bottom line is if you are totally happy with your chosen system then don't worry what everyone else is doing, as the other system is unlikely to tick any boxes for you.

I've known about Gel II for a while as a friend was the first to use it over here for a few months before the UK Distributor released the news of their involvement. They had fantastic results from clients with nails that were not suited to Shellac, which goes hand in hand with the differences in a Power Polish and a Gel Polish.

Then of course the presence at Olympia, Scratch magazine and Social Media means it took off big time.

Hi fellow geeks,
I bought 6 colours at Olympis to try out. I should have stuck to my guns and bought only 2 to try.
They have just been sitting ony shelf collecting dust. Having tried one on myself, I found I needed 3 coats for even coverage. When I tried to remove, omg! Thats when the trouble started. I'm afraid never again. It stained and refused to budge in places. It wrecked my nails and I won't chance it on a client. So it has a big thumbs down from me

I'm part of the same fb groups as you Lauren sparkles so I know what you mean about a sudden change.

I haven't tried gel 2 myself but have ordered a few colours to see what all the fuss is about. Personally I use gelish and I have a few shellac but I prefer gelish. But I must admit I am intrigued about this new products because there have been so many posts singing the praises of gel2 I wonder why?

I have also Seen posts claiming gel 2 reverses damage done by shellac. I would be interested to know more about this.

When you first buy a gel II colour you need to give it a good stir and then roll it in your hands this will make such a difference to the application, which if you hadn't done maybe why needed more than 2 coats :)

Hi fellow geeks,
I bought 6 colours at Olympis to try out. I should have stuck to my guns and bought only 2 to try.
They have just been sitting ony shelf collecting dust. Having tried one on myself, I found I needed 3 coats for even coverage. When I tried to remove, omg! Thats when the trouble started. I'm afraid never again. It stained and refused to budge in places. It wrecked my nails and I won't chance it on a client. So it has a big thumbs down from me

You have to file off the top coat first if u dont youll have a hard job getting it off from what ive been told.

Ive yet to have my first removal but my ladies ive done it on have had no chips etc so all is good.

I have a nail buddy and she is raving about Gel II and shes not wrecked anyones nails.

Maybe the "CND hatred" is from people who were already unhappy and were just looking for the right product to come along before they did their Mexican hat dance. Gel II itself is not new. La Palm has been around for ages (I remember using a lot of their mani pedi range a LONG time ago), and Gel II, like a lot of gel polishes we never hear about in the UK, have been circulating around the US for a few years now.

The big rave is due to the UK Industry's current state. We're cut off from a lot of the products that are out there. Only a handful make it this way, so everyone's familiar with the names and products and have tried them all or heard of them at least once. There are only a few known and favored brands here, so when a new one pops up, everyone can't help but notice, unlike in the US, a new brand or range pops up all the time and is advertised on the trade magazine, but only a few ever bat an eyelash at it. (Nails Magazine has an app, and you can read each issue on there. Have a look at how many ranges and products are advertised there that isn't available here... there's loads!)

I, personally, give everything a try at least once. I've learned my lesson with "putting all my eggs in one basket" and I like having options.

I've not heard of gel ll before, is it longer lasting than shellac and can you use the shellac lamp?

I love shellac but it doesn't always last well on all clients and some I feel need something more hard wearing. Is there a gel ll top coat that I could use on top of the shellac top coat to make it longer wearing or will this not work? Am I better of using the gelish top coat on too of shellac?

Yes it's much longer lasting Han shellac and yes you can use the shellac lamp to cure it.

There is a gel 2 top coat called extreme shine. I believe it's similar to the Gelish top coat. I'm not sure if using it makes shellac go longer though. I use both gelish and shellac (and now a bit of gel2) for the same reasons you mentioned in regards to the longevity of shellac!

X

Latest posts

Back