Gel II polish help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBCharmer

Reaction score
I have used Gel II about three times now, I used it today on a client who is a friend and found it to noticeably shrink from the free edge, I made sure I was capping all nails but by the time I had got to the last one the first had shrunk back, I did go over them very quickly before curing them but still found it had shrunk.

I'm used to CND Shellac, so my prep was the same as always. Is there something that I need to do before applying, or something that I'm missing out.

Any suggestions would be welcome, as I love this product and would like to be confident with it before offering it other clients.

Everything I have read about other peoples experiences with it is that when they have changed from using Scrubfresh to the specific Gel II cleanse, this issue has been rectified.

I have used Gel II about three times now, I used it today on a client who is a friend and found it to noticeably shrink from the free edge, I made sure I was capping all nails but by the time I had got to the last one the first had shrunk back, I did go over them very quickly before curing them but still found it had shrunk.

I'm used to CND Shellac, so my prep was the same as always. Is there something that I need to do before applying, or something that I'm missing out.

Any suggestions would be welcome, as I love this product and would like to be confident with it before offering it other clients.

What color are you using? I had that same problem! It turned out that I was not mixing my gel well enough and it separated enough to cause that extra shrinkage. If you try taking a stirring instrument and give it a good stir, see if that helps. Also depending on when you got your product, I know Gel II came out with a newer formula that would help. Obviously some colors just do that but if you have the old formula you can just contact them and they can give you the new formula!

I had this very problem with today's client with the black. It was even shrinking back from the cuticles.
It took three layers and quickly going back over and capping immediately before going in the lamp.

Do I need to use primer?

I'm going to get their cleanser, as recommended, but it is out of stock at the moment. Hopefully not for too long as I don't want to do another client with it shrinking! x

Last edited:
Make sure you give all bottles a really good stir when you first get them. Then all they'll need is a good roll between your palms. If they've been sat on a shelf for a while give them a stir again.

It's advised to use either Gel II Cleanse or IPA to cleanse the nail prior to application but make sure the nails are dry before you start polishing. Personally on some client's I still scrubfresh the nails but then go over with Gel II Cleanse before I polish.

Steph xx

Latest posts

Back