Gel Nail Fell Off... Is it me?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxclairexx

Reaction score
Hi, I had a new client in last week who wanted pink and white gel nails, I opted to sculpt a set rather than use tips as I thought this would be my quickest option (I'm working on getting my times down), she had short nail beds with a little free edge, her nails were in ok condition she chews the skin round the edge but the nails were ok. Anyways, they looked lovely and she was really happy, I spoke to her yesterday and she says that one has fell of, its all in one piece and she is going to bring it for me to see tomorrow, she asked if I could stick it back on, but I will do her a new nail, obviously. She also said that her thumbs had cracked, I'm not sure in which direction as I have not checked them yet. Anyways my question is could this be something I have done/not done as I have not had nails just fall off before.

My prep is a Dry Prep for IBD Gel nails
Sanitise
Push back/remove cuticle from nail bed
File and remove shine with 180 file (as taught by IBD)
Apply Sculpting Form
Dehydrate Nail
Primer
Thin Layer of Builder Clear to create a base cure 3 mins
Apply Pink Xtreme to nail plate freeze cure
Apply White Xtreme to Tip cure for 4 mins
Apply Clear Builder Gel building up apex and stringing the stress areas cure for 3 mins
Remove Sticky Layer with IBD Cleanser
Remove Form
File/refine nail
Intense Seal cure for 2
Cuticle Oil.

I always run round the nail with my cuticle pusher to make sure nothing is touching the skin/cuticle, I do get a little lifting on some clients and am scrutinising my prep. But can a nail just fall off?? I didn't pinch the nail, during curing could this have contributed. I'll check her nail plate for damage to see if she has picked at it but just wondered what everyone else thought it could be down to.

Many thanks in advance for any pointers you could give me.

Claire x

We all know that a nail just doesnt fall off, it needs help to do that lol, your clients might be chewing the surrounding skin and accidently caught her nails with her teeth then seeing a bit of loose gel maybe picked at it grrrrrrrrrrrr!! its annoying when they do this lol.

I would try scrubbing the first layer of gel onto the nail plate, ensure your apex's are not too thin/thick as could cause cracking, also length of them might of caused cracking, try using less santiser as working too wet could cause problems, also primer is it completly dry??

Do you use a metal cuticle pusher as the rubber hoof ones just dont do it for me
hth
Sue x

Hi, Thanks for that, I do use a metal pusher, I prefer them to the plastic hoofs, and the salon was cold that morning as the gel was a little harder to move about I did try to warm it up a bit, maybe not enough, so maybe a combination of things could of caused this, I'll see what it looks like when she brings it in. I had been prety confident in my work as I don't usually loose nails so to speak. I thought about her maybe chewing the skin and finding a bit she could pick at, but I will check when I see her.

I didn't make them too long as I knew she wouldn't cope with them so they were just peeking over her finger, I thought the apex was ok but again I can re-assess this when she brings it in for me to see.

Thanks for the advice I will also be double checking my primer is dry and dehydrated as it was very cold that morning and it may of needed a little longer.

Claire x

Latest posts

Back