Gel nail tips remaining on nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorraine Underwood 1

Nail Tech 22
Reaction score
Hi

Can anybody tell me the best way to keep Gel Nail tips to adhere to the nails without coming off. I am preping correctly and they seem to last on me. I am currently using clear Nail Gel. Is it best if I use Builder Nail Gel instead? Alternatively somebody mentioned 2 clear coats of UV Gel and then Builder Gel to finish, to ensure Nail Tips stay on.

Any tips or information would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Hi Lorraine,
Maybe run through what you are doing step by step and we might be able to see where you are going wrong.

Did you train in Nails recently?
x

Hi Lorraine,
Maybe run through what you are doing step by step and we might be able to see where you are going wrong.

Did you train in Nails recently?
x

Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes, about 2 years ago trained, but am now working on ´real´clients and have problem with some of the nail tips staying on. I prep the nails, file, prep and primer. Then add the nail tips with glue and blend. Then add prep and primer again before applying the gel. I then apply 2 or 3 coats or clear gel and cure. This is where I may be going wrong. Do I need to use a clear THIN gel first and then 2 coats of builder gel?? This is what I am unsure of. Then I file and buff the tips and then apply the shellac colour. The colour and everything seem fine, it is just the problem of the tips staying on. I look forward to your reply. Thanks

Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes, about 2 years ago trained, but am now working on ´real´clients and have problem with some of the nail tips staying on. I prep the nails, file, prep and primer. Then add the nail tips with glue and blend. Then add prep and primer again before applying the gel. I then apply 2 or 3 coats or clear gel and cure. This is where I may be going wrong. Do I need to use a clear THIN gel first and then 2 coats of builder gel?? This is what I am unsure of. Then I file and buff the tips and then apply the shellac colour. The colour and everything seem fine, it is just the problem of the tips staying on. I look forward to your reply. Thanks
First of, don't primer before the tips. And after the tips, you must only apply primer on what is left of the natural nail
Secondly, what brands are you using? So we may help you with your gel layers

Are u creating an apex with the builder gel over the attached tip to add strength to the stress area? if not then thats why they are not staying on. Did u train in gel extensions?

Hi, Thanks for your reply. No I did not create an apex with builder gel. I just did 3 layers of clear gel with no apex. Do you think this was the problem? I did train in nail extensions, but it covered acrylics only, which I dont do. It never mentioned creating an apex with builder gel. It was just a very basic course. Thank you for your help. Any other tips with gel nails? thanks

Do you mean a short course only in Acrylics?
I think you need to review your training and at a minimum, take a course in gel nails as the application process is completely different to acrylics. Also, gel nails are not designed to be as strong as acrylics so you and your clients need to be aware of that.

Plus, check with your insurer because most won't cover you if you haven't completed a basic manicure & pedicure (covering nail health & safety) as well as a gel nails course covering the brand you're working with.

A really good tutor will help you resolve these issues, so it would be a worthwhile investment in your education. :)

Latest posts

Back