Gel nails burning?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurensbeauty

Reaction score
so I did a regular clients gel nail extensions the other day same prep application as usual etc but when her hands we're under the lamp she said it hurt and felt like her nails we're burning? I've never had this before so I was confused as to why this happened can anyone advise me why this happened? thanks 💅💕

It usually means that the gel is too thick - it's called a heat spike. Hopefully someone who does enhancements will answer with some more technical advice ;)

Its due to the photo initiators in gel that make it cure.

Heat spike can be caused by a number of things

As 80's girl said you could have applied too thick . This client may have thin or sensitive nail plate and/or the gel you are using is not a 'high ' quality ( not saying it is just giving another reason )

Some medications can also cause more sensitivity to the UV lamp so ensure your client consultation is up to date

If this continues with this client ( or any other ) you could A) Try thinner layers B) Change brands :) or C ) Ask the customer to put their hand in the lamp for count of 3 and take it out again . Ask her to do that 2/3 times and the it should be ok

x

It's a heat spike. It can be down to a number of things. Product applied to thick, client having weak/thin/damaged nails, I also find this weather doesn't help.

I am confused by heat spike too, I use brisa lite so not a poor quality product, and I always do a thin layer first before building (as taught on my course)
I find that when I use the clear gel on people they seem to suffer it more than the pink. So I usually go for the pink now if I can.

Man heat spikes are a biatch, my sis always complains of them. WHENEVER I do her nails. (Although to be fair, she used to be a hairdresser and was always pulling my head about so, every cloud)....LOL

I was thought that it's normal in gel polish curing. It's the components fusing together to set it. The uv/led light activates it.

But it shouldn't be painful as such! Yes, it can shock people, but you should give a little warning to the client to expect it to happen. It's not a bad thing at all. :)

If this occurs with my clients I place their hand just outside of the lamp, in the glow of the light for about 10 seconds, then get them to place their hand back inside the lamp. It works for me every time.

I was thought that it's normal in gel polish curing. It's the components fusing together to set it. The uv/led light activates it.

But it shouldn't be painful as such! Yes, it can shock people, but you should give a little warning to the client to expect it to happen. It's not a bad thing at all. :)

Heat spike is not normal in a gel polish application the OP is talking about gel enhancements and this can be problem when using builder gels and as everyone has posted is usually down to product being applied too thickly.

I find it can be particularly bad if I'm doing sculpting as the layer of gel is thicker than with using tips?
Also if I've had a client he's been pulling it there gel enhancements and put a few layers of nail off! they feel the burn me thinks 😆 x

💕💅 Keep calm and make 'em Gelish 💅💕

The heat spike is caused by molecule friction during the curing process, perfectly normal and if they remove their hands away from the light n replace hand again after it won't happen again on that layer. Some clients try to "press it out" crazy but whatever works for them!! 😎

Same as above comments, it can also happen when it's the time of the month ! You tend to be more sensitive to things x

Latest posts

Back