Gel nails on cancer patient

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sjacko77

Reaction score
Lady contacted me enquiring for gel nails as she feels they've suffered due to cancer treatment. Drugs she is currently taking are...
thyroxine, omeperzole, insulin, exemestane, arovastatin and doselupin.
Where do I stand on this does anyone know??

Not completely sure in terms of the drugs she's on but I know that if someone is having chemotherapy then their nails should be protected from UV light. I have a client who was having chemo and we just used dark coloured Vinylux until her treatment finished, then moved to Shellac.
I hope this helps.

I'm having chemotherapy at the moment and do my own nails. I haven't had any problems. In fact it lifts me having nice nails when every other feminine part of me has been taken away by the chemo.

Lady contacted me enquiring for gel nails as she feels they've suffered due to cancer treatment. Drugs she is currently taking are...
thyroxine, omeperzole, insulin, exemestane, arovastatin and doselupin.
Where do I stand on this does anyone know??

I think having her nails done would cheer her up!
But just explain to her that the medication can possibly lead to the lifting or possibility of the nails not lasting the usual time frame.

Beauty at your finger tips!

Ibx is great for cancer patients, takes a lot longer to see results and nails to last longer but its worth it to the client

I personally haven't had any problems with lifting, in fact my Gelish has stayed on longer, I think that's due to less washing up, housework etc- there's got to be a positive in this cancer malarkey somewhere eh?! It will make her feel pampered and will give her something lovely to look at when she's feeling rough. It's amazing the powers of sparkly nail polish when you're feeling bad.

The main chemo drug to watch out for is Taxotere, that's the one that can cause nails to be lost.

I've had a few clients undergoing chemotherapy and we have used a combo of IBX & Blackpool shellac (with any nail art over the top as required!!)

Meticulous prep and aftercare (including bucket loads of Han cream & solar oil!) has lead to success.

It is definitely a mood lifter, during a time when a lot going on is pretty rubbish.

Thanks ladies, this is good to know :)
I just didn't want to make anything worse for her.

Latest posts

Back