Gel overlay chipping

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deanine

Reaction score
Hello ladies I hope someone can help me try n solve this issue I'm having with this one client. I've done her nails 3 times n each time her nails chip at the corners of her free edge. Is it something I'm doing or is she just rough on her nails
Screenshot_2016-02-14-23-06-11.png
Screenshot_2016-02-14-23-06-15.png

Were her natural nails splitting/peeling where the chip was?

Were her natural nails splitting/peeling where the chip was?[/QUOTe no she just has thin nails but after I prept her nails she dug in her purse I wiped them again with cleanse n she was on her phone as I was doing her nails. I'm not trying to say it was her fault like I said before I've done her nails 3x n I'm pretty sure it has been the same fingers. She tells me I need to use a new product, but I have the same on my nails n two other clients with no issues. I use nsi balance builder gel. So she said she's going elsewhere to see if they stay on.I didn't charge her the second time n this last time I only charged for a Mani.

I have another ? Sorry ladies I'm just very new to gels n acrylic I graduated from school in Aug n haven't had no other training yet. But when u use gel mine is nsi balance builder gel I apply two layers first one thin n second a little thicker to build after its cured n I wipe tacky layer off I file to shape, do I then put the finish clear on or glaze n go or can I just polish with regular/ gel polish n if I'm using gel polish I use gelish do I have to use the foundation polish or can I just use the gelish. I know these r stupid ?s but its these little things I don't quite know. Any feed back would be great

To first question: never mind I got mixed up. I thought it was gel Polish on natural nail only lol

I don't do gel extentions x

Last edited:
To first question: never mind I got mixed up. I thought it was gel Polish on natural nail only lol

I don't do gel extentions x
Not on extensions maybe I didn't say it right after I put a gel overlay on natural nail then paint them. The gelish polish comes with a foundation that if it was on natural nail only u have to put this on, but if its going over gel overlay do I still need to use foundation before polish. And to first ? I ask her nails n cuticles r really dry, I told her she needs to use solar oil n that was an argument her telling me that shouldn't matter she never had to use it before when she got them done, but I told her her nails need it n maybe that's y her gel keeps chipping, so she bought jojoba oil 100% don't know if she actually used it like I recommended. I just hate that this has happened to her 3x now, I don't have very many clients yet be in I just started n I already lost one being she said she's going somewhere else.

So have you had any formal nail training Deanine?

Just school but I know I need additional classes in gels n acrylic being school just teaches u the basics not problems n how to know what the problems r caused from. I graduated in Aug 2015 so I'm very new

Do you mean a college course?

Do you mean a college course?
Yes I'm a licensed nail tech but being I'm so new in gels n acrylics I'm having some issues

First time doing the baby boom nails i think their pretty good.I know this doesn't pertain to the subject but oh well lol

I used to have problems with nsi gel polish chipping on acrylics when i first started out. I never used a base gel because nsi say you don't need it unless your working on natural nails. I started using the base anyway though and that solved the issue. Is it just the gel polish that was chipping or the builder gel also?

To answer your other question "But when u use gel mine is nsi balance builder gel I apply two layers first one thin n second a little thicker to build after its cured n I wipe tacky layer off I file to shape, do I then put the finish clear on or glaze n go or can I just polish with regular/ gel polish n if I'm using gel polish I use gelish do I have to use the foundation polish or can I just use the gelish. I know these r stupid ?s but its these little things I don't quite know. Any feed back would be great"

Are you following the correct preparation procedures with the correct nsi products? If you could tell me what your prep steps are to ensure you're doing them correctly that will help to make sure there are no problems with your prep which is the most important part in any nail service. I would be using a coat of nsi's gel primer before applying the first coat of builder gel, i think it's called balance bond.. Then the first coat of builder gel should be very thin, and scrubbed into the nail really well, then cured. Next apply your builder layer to the desired thickness, apex placement etc and cure. Wipe off tacky layer with NSI's cleanse and then file to shape. I wouldn't use finish clear or glaze and go because those top coats are for the finishing of a gel or acrylic service, and your aren't quite finished yet ;)
I'd probably run over the nail with a 180 file to take out the majority of the scratches if you've used a 100 grit file to shape the gel. If you used a 180 or 150 grit to shape then that's probably fine to move on to the gel polish. I would use the base coat to see if this helps stop the chipping. NSI's base coat plus is a great base coat, but if you are using gelish polishes i would stick to whichever base coat comes with their system.

On this client I used regular polish over gel overlay, my prep I do believe is good I push back cuticles n scrape pterygium,then I buff shine off nail with a 180 grit file, I brush off dust then rub fairly hard with prep, I also used opi bond aid dehydrator because she has issues with this gel chipping, I then use balance bond primer, I put thin coat of builder gel on n really work it in cure for 2 min, then I put another layer of builder on n build the nail her nails r really short so there ain't much apex to build, I cure for 2 mins cleanse nail with alcohol file if needed, this time I used glaze n go before I used regular polish because I figured I needed to seal the gel, because last time I didn't n they chipped to. But 4 days later she sent me these pics of her nails that chipped at her free edge.both corners of her nails.n that was the case the last two times I did her nails. I use balance builder on myself n two other clients overlays on natural nail I even built a free edge on a client n its still good I just do fills on her. So I don't understand, being new to this industry its really frustrating as to why does this happen to her n not me or the other two. N thank u for redponding

It may be her and not you. She might be too hard on her nails. What does she do for a living?

Do you use the NSI prepping products? Everything from NSI is formulated to work with each other and you NEED to use only their products with each other or you might have product break down. NSI's nail pure plus is a great dehydrator. I wouldn't use the OPI one as it is a different brand. NSI have a bond enhancer which dehydrates and balances the ph of the nail. I'd try that, i use it myself as an extra step after using nail pure plus.

Your prep steps should be as follows: Apply vanish and push back cuticle. Remove vanish with cleanse. Lightly buff the nails with a 180 in the direction of growth on the nail to remove shine, scrub in nail pure plus, apply bond enhancer and then apply primer. If you're doing those steps that's great but if not then you need to be. As i said nail prep is the most important part of any service.

Is your client wearing gloves when dealing with chemicals like doing dishes, cleaning etc? I always tell my clients to wear gloves to protect their nails and help them last longer.

Sometimes you will lose clients though, especially when you're still gaining experience. I did too and i'm sure a lot of other people have also. And sometimes it's not much of a loss which seems this is the case. She doesn't sound very nice. And those are the sort of clients that you don't want anyway, the ones who come to you because your prices are cheaper but expect flawless results. If you explain to them that your still training and that's why your prices are cheaper, but they say they are going else where then let them. Screw them! Lol

I basically do everything u said to do except I don't use the varnish I use opi cuticle remover I use the nail pure plus I buff do u think it could be I use alcohol instead of cleanse to take off tacky layer, but!!! I use that on myself n all other clients n this don't happen. N your right about not giving a rats ass if she don't come back cuz I didn't charge her the last two times n its not like she comes back to me when it happens only when she needs a fill 2wks. I really shouldn't beat myself up about it but I really hate that I can't figure it out, n it could not even be me like u said, she could just be rough on her nails. And to tell her to wear gloves would be a joke cuz she argued the fact that cuticle oil does nothing for the nails when I told her to use it cuz her nails where dry. Quote I agree to disagree with u so leave it at that end quote!! I wanted to say f%$ck you but I kept my cool lol I appreciate u taking the time to figure this out u have a nice day:))

Latest posts

Back