Gel overlays - IBD

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyGray

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is a bit of a funny one as it's about doing something for myself.

I am qualified in acrylics but haven't, as yet, done a gel conversion. I am also qualified in manis/pedis and gel polish. At the moment I am working mobile and only offering gel manicures (IBD Just Gel). I have no intention of offering acrylics again in future as I had some issues with the smells triggering my migraines but in future I may look into offering gel enhancements.

So my question is about doing gel overlays on myself. My nails are quite flaky at the moment, flaking off at the tips a bit. I'm obviously looking after them with my oils and treating them kindly in general but am finding my gel mani's aren't lsting as well as they should be, not through lifting or anything like that but because my nail flakes and then the polish chips.

I'm thinking overlays could work for me but I'm not qualified. I am thinking however, that this should be something I could do on myself with not too much trouble. It is NOT something I would want to be offering to my clients. This is just for me.

Is this something people would recommend, if so, which IBD gel? There are several and and I am reading different reviews on each. Or are there other options for helping to keep my nails protected and strong. I have had a read through the IBX thread but don't own a lamp, or minx lamp and am not keen on carting my hairdryer up and down the stairs...but perhaps thats just me being lazy!

Anyway, just wondering what people thing really, what would give my nails that extra oomph.

I know when I trained with Artistic, we used the Artistic Builder Gel, but I'm not sure the IBD Builder Gel serves the same purpose.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the lengthy post!

Hi there,
I can't answer your questions regarding the gel, but after reading how your nails are flaking etc, wanted to recommend ibx.
I think ibx is amazing! I had a client with flaking/peeling nails, gel polish (I use ibd just gel too) would only last a couple of days before her nails would flake, obviously taking the polish with it.

I started using ibx on her & after the 1st treatment, incredible results. Iv used it on her about 4 times now & Her polish now lasts up to her next appointment. Sometimes 5 weeks!

Sorry for the delayed reply and thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking into it now, but have also contact Graftons direct for info x

Latest posts

Back