"Gel polish better for your nails than Shellac"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmmaLF

Reaction score
So I've noticed a trend lately of young girls newly qualified in gel polish, using a certain brand of gel polish and posting on their Facebook pages 'I use _____ gel polish, its better for your nails than shellac!" Am I missing something here has shellac suddenly stopped being the most gentle 2 week or polish or have these girls seriously not got a clue what they're talking about. I don't even use shellac (I used to) but last time I checked it was the least harsh.

I use gel polish and would never say it's better for your nails than Shellac, I thought they're all the same as long as you're using it right! I think these girls are just saying that to try and scare clients who get Shellac into coming to see them. It's a shame that there are people like this is our industry.

I think when they say "shellac" they don't mean CND Shellac. They mean the cheap generic gel polishes (so often available on eBay). A lot of women have had these "shellacs" applied and removed and damage done to their nails. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say, "Shellac ruined my nails!" When I question them about it, I usually find out that it wasn't CND Shellac that was used. I think these new techs are trying to distinguish themselves from that (and doing it all wrong!). BTW, I don;t think CND Shellac is the least harsh - it just removes faster and that means less opportunity to do damage. But a reasonably patient tech will do no damage with any gel polish.

Latest posts

Back