Gel polish brand help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missaugust

Reaction score
hi what brand of gel polish would everyone recommend i am new to gel polish and was wondering what to look into as theyre seems to be a lot on offer thanks :)

The top ones seem to be Geleration, shellac & gelish. I'm chuffed to bits with GELeration, such a professional system x

I would recommend Gelish. I don't think Shellac is classed as a gel polish. I'm sure another geek with correct me if I'm wrong :D
Gelish has loads of colours to chose from x

The poster above is correct. Shellac is a power polish. Goes on like a polish, lasts like a gel.

In my personal opinion it is the leader in its field. I get asked for it by name and people wont accept anything else.

It is a fab natural nails product which causes NO DAMAGE when applied and removed correctly.

Its super shiny and not thick like some gels can be, when mastered it is beautiful to apply. The courses in Shellac are not expensive to take, provided you have a mani certificate. The customer service is excellent and the training second to none.

The downside is that is doesn't add as much strength as some gels on the market (though it definitely provides a coat of armour) and you cannot build or extend with it.

That is just my opinion. Use the search bar above, there are so many posts to read through. When I was looking, a year ago, the two on top were Shellac and Geleration, Gellish seems bigger now than it was then but Shellac is still huge. It could als depend on your area, see what everyone else is offering and what your market is.

I trained with Gelish & love it cause it's so hard wearing, like Shellac there's no damage to the natural nail when it's correctly removed & loads of colours to choose from & even more when you start layering.

hi what brand of gel polish would everyone recommend i am new to gel polish and was wondering what to look into as theyre seems to be a lot on offer thanks :)

I love gelish and even opi but I have not tried shellac I went straight for gelish because of the color selection but I am for sure going to try it :)

thanks girlies :) x

Harmony is my favourite but jessica is also really really good!:)

Many clients like the idea of a "gel polish" because it is supposed to be longer lasting than polish, also the fact that it's not supposed to damage their natural nails they are so proud of and have taken so long to grow, looks and feels like polish with minimum thickness, buildup and weight (kinda like the polish they are already used to) ...

SO, in saying that, I would choose a polish/system that required no buffing of the natural nail, no matter how little the buffing (it still thins the nailplate), after 4 or 5 applications (even fewer) all this buffing and prepping builds up (in actual fact it doesn't build up, it builds down, if you know what I mean), thinner, thinner, thinner.

Also a system that is easier to remove after said soaking time (dissolves and practically wipes off without scraping/prying or picking)

I'd also look for a system that is hypo-allergenic.

Taking all this into account, I would have to recommend Shellac.

Just look how gentle this whole procedure looks ....
Shellac Solid Color Application and Removal - YouTube

I love gelish ,for the colour range ,excellent product and training ,lasting power and you can add structure for clients that need extra strength .

also I could not sell shellac because I only get 2 days out of it gelish I get 12 days I have super thin bendy nails always have and no damage has be done having gelish.

most clients get a good 2-3 weeks some it will stay on on chips indefinitely untill it is taken off :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

I just watched the Gelish video ......... 180 grit preparation !!!!!!
I don't even use that with acrylics :cry: My clients would shoot me if I used that grit on their hard earned Natural Nails

Learn and Play by Gelish® - YouTube

Gelish or Gelicure for me. Both hard wearing and giving real strength to the natural nail. I use both systems and never buff the natural nail plate. Good pep is all that is needed. I can remove both systems within 10 minutes (Gelish is slightly easier).

Gelish also has the best colour range of any of the systems, well over 100 colours now plus you could layer if you wanted to (personally I hate layering).

Gelish is the only brand I have ever been asked for by name. In the end though, you should do your research as on here we all have our favorites. Have the different brands applied to your own nails by professionals and see how they look, last, how your nails do underneath and how easy they are to remove.

Personally, I had 6 brands tried on my nails at a trade show: Shellac, Gelish, Polish Pro, OPI Axxium, Gelicure, ManiQ. I opted for Gelicure first and then added Gelish which came a close second.

I have to say during my Gelish training, etching the nail was part of the treatment, from what I've read, this is not part of the Shellac.

However, I've used Gelish on my mum several times over recent months sometimes etching, sometimes not & on all occasions I've had the same results & it's lasted.
Even to the point where it could last much longer than the 3 weeks the only reason I've changed it is because she's had a bold colour & the new nail growth has shown.

Just as long as the cuticle prep is done providing a good seal, etching is a personal thing for me, depends on the nails of the client.

I just watched the Gelish video ......... 180 grit preparation !!!!!!
I don't even use that with acrylics :cry: My clients would shoot me if I used that grit on their hard earned Natural Nails

Learn and Play by Gelish® - YouTube

It does Sound agressive but It's a NH sponge buffer 100/180 grit but it seems much finer abrasive in reality..more like 240... .and very minimal pressure so it's only removing the shine....

Many clients like the idea of a "gel polish" because it is supposed to be longer lasting than polish, also the fact that it's not supposed to damage their natural nails they are so proud of and have taken so long to grow, looks and feels like polish with minimum thickness, buildup and weight (kinda like the polish they are already used to) ...

SO, in saying that, I would choose a polish/system that required no buffing of the natural nail, no matter how little the buffing (it still thins the nailplate), after 4 or 5 applications (even fewer) all this buffing and prepping builds up (in actual fact it doesn't build up, it builds down, if you know what I mean), thinner, thinner, thinner.

Also a system that is easier to remove after said soaking time (dissolves and practically wipes off without scraping/prying or picking)

I'd also look for a system that is hypo-allergenic.

Taking all this into account, I would have to recommend Shellac.

Just look how gentle this whole procedure looks ....
Shellac Solid Color Application and Removal - YouTube

I love watching this video it def makes me want to add it to my Xmas list :)

Latest posts

Back