Gel Polish chipping easily

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I'm using a slightly cheaper form of shellac gel as I had to set up my business quickly it's on but chips very easily on my clients with very short nails and I do tell them that they won't last as long as they are very short but they still koan when they chip!! On my clients with good length nails they last fine I always make sure I cap the edges but do chip and don't last that long any ideas?

I am changing to opi gel color in the next few weeks but have to put up with what I've got for a few weeks.

Many thanks

Rowen x

What is the exact brand, there isn't a cheap 'Shellac' gel, it must be another brand? Are you following all their specifics instructions, every system is different.

Which brand are you using? Can you talk us through your step by step application? Maybe we could identify what's happening with that info or give you some pointers x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's called l and f I knows it's not shellac but it's very similar and it's cheaper it's all I could afford when I started off and I know people swear against it but I had like 2 days to set up my whole business so I hope you understand!

I prep the nail correctly file, cuticle work, buff the nail and remove with alcohol. I have a led lamp and cure base for 1 min colour 1 min and top 1 min as that what the supplier said for what lamp I have.

My nails are always fine and so are my mum's and lots of clients are fine@ bit baffling x

I have changed the title of your thread changing the brand name Shellac to gel polish as that is what you are talking about.
CND make Shellac and that is not what you are talking about.

I know clients get confused and because Shellac is the term they have heard and they call all gel polishes Shellac...but we as professionals should know better and caller products what they are, and if it is a gel polish, call it that. otherwise we are just perpetuating this misinformation.

Last edited:
To be honest, I've got no idea. I've never heard of that brand and can't find anything at all on Google about it?

As far as I'm aware, capping the free edge is only for aesthetic reasons so shouldn't affect the longevity of the polish so I don't think it'll be that. Maybe it's the product?

I have changed the title of your thread changing the brand name Shellac to gel polish as that is what you are talking about.
CND make Shellac and that is not what you are talking about.

I know clients get confused and because Shellac is the term they have heard and they call all gel polishes Shellac...but we as professionals should know better and caller products what they are, and if it is a gel polish, call it that. otherwise we are just perpetuating this misinformation.

I do know that I should of used gel polish just a slip of the mind and I am very professional and tell them it's not cnd shellac please don't assume I'm not.

To be honest, I've got no idea. I've never heard of that brand and can't find anything at all on Google about it?

As far as I'm aware, capping the free edge is only for aesthetic reasons so shouldn't affect the longevity of the polish so I don't think it'll be that. Maybe it's the product?

Thanks ever so much I do think it's just the product but it's been Ok 85% of the time.

Latest posts

Back