Gel polish, I have to make my mind up, £500

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would love to have more than one brand on offer to clients but for now im just starting out with the one.

I'm curious how long it takes you to remove Gelish without breaking the seal? I've had new customers come in with it and it took me 30 minutes to remove Bc I was unaware it wasn't shellac initially. 10 minutes to soak (without a budge), 5 minutes to buff, and 15 minutes to finish soaking.

So if you don't buff before you soak... How long does it take u to remove and how do you remove it without tearing up the nail?

Last edited:
As a user of Shellac and OPI Gelcolor, I have to say both are great products.

Reasons I love Shellac:
1.) ease of removal- takes 10 minutes no matter what. Just wrap n soak
2.) ease of layering- no client has a problem finding a great color
3.) it's the "Coke" of UV polish- everyone labels gel polishes as Shellac. This is due to the INCREDIBLE advertising CND does.
4.) makes doing designs A DREAM. transfer foil works beautifully, glitter sticks like none other, fades are simple, etc. Etc.

Reason I Love Gelcolor:
1.) comes off in one sheet. No pushing is usually necessary unless more then two coats of color are applied. But then you soak 5 extra minutes/coat
2.) No white spots even if a light buffing (with a high grit buffer) is used.
3.) comes in 30 OPI colors.
4.) more durable. Clients can be more lax with their nails. (but not too lax)
5.) is LED or UV compatible.
6.) they will be releasing a MINX-like product compatible with the Gelcolor top coat.

Shellac frustrates me Bc:
1.) due to how different it is chemically then gel polish, you must be VERY meticulous in every aspect of Shellac. Each rule must be followed to the TEE to keep from compromising the service. NO BUFFING AT ALL (not even with the highest grit they make). This is the first cause of the white spots. They mean it when they say THIN LAYERS. This is the first reason it will chip! Shaking the bottle vigorously is the only way to keep from thickening. Thick polish leads to wasting product.
2.)Bc dsolve is not available here, I find that I have to apply solar oil after removal to keep my clients nails from drying completely out.

Gelcolor frustrates me Bc:
1.) if you have ANY extra layers, you must add 5 minutes to the already 15 minute soak time. This is fine unless you are doing creative things that I like to do :) which sometimes can take an extra coat of something.
2.) you have to sell it to customers and explain y it is different then shellac but still a good product.
3.) there is not as much freedom for creativity. It's possible just more complicated (in my opinion)

I would use Gelish Bc:
1.) they offer a structure gel that soaks off easily
2.) it comes in the best colors for my girls who love what's new and in style. Like neons and pastels.

I don't use Gelish Bc:
1.) it requires breaking the top coat seal. Just an extra step I don't want to take. Filing also makes my clients very nervous Bc of bad experiences with NSS shops.

So that's MY personal take on three of the top products. As it's been already stated, weigh the pros n cons. But mostly... Listen to your clients!!

Shellac is my number one choice. Hands down. It separates me from everyone else.

I'm curious how long it takes you to remove Gelish without breaking the seal? I've had new customers come in with it and it took me 30 minutes to remove Bc I was unaware it wasn't shellac initially. 10 minutes to soak (without a budge), 5 minutes to buff, and 15 minutes to finish soaking.

So if you don't buff before you soak... How long does it take u to remove and how do you remove it without tearing up the nail?

It lasts exactly the same with good pep as it does with prep. I have even applied it to my own nails on a high shine buff with no problems. As for removal, there is a thread on the Gelish Lovers Group. Quite a few of us have found that buffing the surface before removal is unnecessary. I never do it any more, it doesn't take any longer. I use D-Solve and like I said, I can remove and reapply in 50 minutes.

I started with Shellac, added Gelish and have just added OPI Gelcolor so have all 3 products/treatments available.

They are all really popular but I would say of the 3 Gelish is the most popular because of the choice of colours.

Mind you, if you are structuring the price of the lamp you may need to go with the UV light as the LED'S of Gelish or OPI are going to take £300 of your budget straight away, although I think Nail Harmony are currently doing their LED light VAT free and you can use the CND light to cure the others it just takes longer.

Shellac will be the one that will cost the least to set up as their colours are cheaper (although half the size) but if you want more colours initially then that would give you that. The CND UV light is fantastic and you can use it to cure Gelish or OPI Gelcolor. Gelish and OPI work out cheaper overall because the size of the oottle is twice the size of Shellac.

If it was me starting out with a Gel/power polish again and I had your budget I would probably go with Shellac initially because it is so well known now (I would look to see what your competitors are offering around you too) and you can get more for your budget. You can alaways add another product later.

To conclude I can only comment on those 3 as they are the ones I use. I love all 3 so whichever you choose you won't go wrong because all 3 are real quality. My own preference as it stands is Gelish.

I would also ensure that whichever one you choose that you do the training for it as soon as possible. However adept you think you are it will still be money wisely invested and worth its weight in gold.

Good luck, enjoy and let us know what you went for.

How about Mani-Q by Young Nails?

How about Mani-Q by Young Nails?

Youngs Nail Products is one company I know very little about, although they seem very highly regarded. Have you any other recommendations re their products.......... I can't start looking at a 4th gel product!!!!!! :Scared:

It's 100% gel I use it, can be cured led or Uv... Soaks off easy! Can be mixed with polish! I love it and so do my clients...

I've gone with gelish and started off with the uv lamp with was in offer and if I get on with it well I will invest in ld lamp at later date. Thanks for all your replies x

Love gelish and the 18g is the best thing I've bought. Definitely worth the money. I don't buff the nail, u don't need to.

I've gone with gelish and started off with the uv lamp with was in offer and if I get on with it well I will invest in ld lamp at later date. Thanks for all your replies x

Great choice............... you will love the Gelish...... 9 new colours out now too!! xx

Latest posts

Back