Gel polish, my 3 week goal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZNailz

Reaction score
I don't want to beat a dead horse here but.... Gel Polish....
I've sat here and read through all related posts using the search feature and am constantly researching how to better my techniques and services.

I see many experienced techs on here say that they often get a good 3 weeks from gel clients.
I am getting 11 days - 2 weeks (Gelish) before they start to get a chip here and there.
I have compiled a list of around 9 tips to remind myself to be diligent about during the application process (which I won't post on here as I know many non-qualified people also read these posts) and am starting to see better results. I know it's a matter of practice practice practice and perfecting the technique.

My questions are: Is that time frame an acceptable time frame for gels to last? (knowing that majority don't use any cuticle oils / gloves etc)
When you all started out, did you start to see better results after some time purely down to experience and technique? and lastly, is applying a second top coat really a magic fix all for making gels last longer?

I have become confident in my application but am wanting to reach that magic 3 week mark with no chips if possible :)

I can't comment on gelish as I use cnd Shellac.
Cnd promote their gel polish as a 14+ day system so I do tell the clients this and emphasise that if they get longer it's a bonus. That way they don't have unrealistic expectations.

What does Gelish claim?

I can't comment on gelish as I use cnd Shellac.
Cnd promote their gel polish as a 14+ day system so I do tell the clients this and emphasise that if they get longer it's a bonus. That way they don't have unrealistic expectations.

What does Gelish claim?
Gelish website says "Up to 3 weeks with no chipping or peeling"

Don't forget......we are nail techs, and using acetone on others. I only get 3 weeks outta my nail when I'm on holiday.

Gelish website says "Up to 3 weeks with no chipping or peeling"

Yes, the phrase 'up to 3 weeks' makes the product sound longer lasting but perhaps the emphasis should be on the 'UP TO' part of that statement.

Very few of my clients go past two and a half weeks without chips on the free edge.
My early shellac clients had a little lifting around the sides but I seem to have eliminated this now with more confident and precise prepping.

I read a survey by the Guild not long ago on gel nails across the country & across brands. I'm sure it said the average length of time a gel polish client went between re-application appointments was 2.5 weeks.
This sounds right to me, with some clients being less and some being more.

My clients get 3-4 weeks from gelish, I use structure gel on quite a few of them due to there work/ lifestyle.
Have you used structure gel ?
It could be down to your prep? Are you doing the foundation layer super thin ?

My clients get 3-4 weeks from gelish, I use structure gel on quite a few of them due to there work/ lifestyle.
Have you used structure gel ?
It could be down to your prep? Are you doing the foundation layer super thin ?
Re foundation: wiping brush off completely, placing a small amount on each nail, going back and scrubbing in then dry brush after cure.
I haven't tried structure gel, no. Do you charge more for that and does it soak off easily during normal removal or does it take longer?
Do many techs use structure gel with each service as part of their standard application?

Its really quite technical isn't it! Someone said to me the other day re my job, 'Well painting nails is hardly hard'

This is a really interesting post as I often wonder the same. I use CND Shellac and most of my clients get to 2weeks odd ones going 3wks. With some only 10 days too. I have one client who had very dry flakey nails and lasted only days without chipping and has just recently got to 2wks plus after I have done a course of ibx I was absolutely thrilled and expected her to be however someone at her work gets 5wks plus.... arrrgh unreal expectations and who wants 5wks growth!

Re foundation: wiping brush off completely, placing a small amount on each nail, going back and scrubbing in then dry brush after cure.
I haven't tried structure gel, no. Do you charge more for that and does it soak off easily during normal removal or does it take longer?
Do many techs use structure gel with each service as part of their standard application?

Its really quite technical isn't it! Someone said to me the other day re my job, 'Well painting nails is hardly hard'
Structure gel is amazing! I use it on all my natural nail clients, and they can easily go a month without any problems. It breaks down quickly so the soak-off process doesn't take any extra time. I choose to not charge extra for it, but you most definitely could.

Structure gel is amazing! I use it on all my natural nail clients, and they can easily go a month without any problems. It breaks down quickly so the soak-off process doesn't take any extra time. I choose to not charge extra for it, but you most definitely could.
Ooooo, your enthusiasm makes me feel like I need this in my life immediately! lol
Thinking I may have to try this on a few guinea pigs to see how results differ :)

Y
Ooooo, your enthusiasm makes me feel like I need this in my life immediately! lol
Thinking I may have to try this on a few guinea pigs to see how results differ :)
Yes, it's probably my favorite product! It comes in both a pot, and brush-on bottle. I like both for different reasons. It thin so the final product still looks good. And it's a lifer saver for clients with ridges because it levels out, and make the application smoother.

Structure gel is a must for me, it's amazing! I don't charge extra for it [emoji4]

Structure gel is a must for me, it's amazing! I don't charge extra for it [emoji4]
Can I ask what structure gel you use?

With regard to the orifinal post I do think with time and confidence my client's got longer from my nail application but like many have said my clients get between 2-5 weeks but I much prefer my clients to get 3 weeks from an application 2.5 been perfect before chipping but it is completely down to individual condition of nails, how hard the client is on there hands and how much care they take but once majority are at 3 weeks with signs of movement I'm happy as I think any gel Polish are actually only 14 days and anything above this is a bonus which I also tell the client x

Latest posts

Back