Gel polish over tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alixchris444

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm gonna sound like a real idiot, but I just want to clarify something...
If I apply a set of tips with 3 coats of gel as normal, can I use gel polish as my colour and sort of sandwich it in between the 2nd and 3rd coats of hard gel, and if so, do I need GP base coat (I was thinking not)?? Only reason I ask is that I've tried applying it over the top of all 3 coats and that didn't go too well (not sure why) and thought maybe it would be better in between the gels as when I apply glitter/rhinestones/mylar etc that works fine and encapsulates the lot...

I don't use any posh brands, just good old NAIO gels (I find they work really well) and at the moment because I have no money (only just started my business and set-up has already cost me a small fortune) use Crystal g gel polish which lasts 2 weeks on my clients, so until I can afford a 'posh' brand will stick with those...I know some of you will be horrified, but it's a needs must situation.

I have used coloured gels from Naio but I find them so difficult to apply to a whole nail (can do coloured tips no problem tho, go figure!!)

I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give... Thanks in advance Alix xxx

Usually gel polish can be applied over acrylic and hard gels without a problem.
Perhaps try buff the shine off the third layer of hard gel then try gel polish over that again.
I wouldn't sandwich it myself.
But whatever you find works I suppose works!
I havnt used the gel brand you mentioned so can't give any technical advice I'm afraid.

Beauty at your finger tips!

No I would definitely not sandwich between gel layers .

Unless you are the most fantastic tech in the world you will not get a good enough finish this way

Apply your layers as you are then buff to refine shape , cleanse and THEN apply your colour

If you are not buffing the final layer of gel or applying directly to the unwiped surface this is the reason it is not working well for you

What exactly are your steps ?

x

The time I tried gel polish over the hard gel I
-sanitized, pushed back and tidied cuticles, buffed, dehydrated, applied tips, took shine off tip, brushed away dust, hard gel base coat, cure 30 secs, builder layer (1), cure 3 mins, builder layer (2), cure 3 mins, wipe sticky layer, buff to refine shape, brush away dust, 2 coats of gel polish (2 mins cure after each coat), finish with gel top coat, cure 3 mins, wipe away sticky layer, cuticle oil.

I think it must be something I did wrong just before coats of gel polish...if I buff then wipe clean, won't my buffing have been in vain?? (may sound like a silly question, sorry!! :o)

Oh and thankyou for your replies...:D xxx

The time I tried gel polish over the hard gel I
-sanitized, pushed back and tidied cuticles, buffed, dehydrated, applied tips, took shine off tip, brushed away dust, hard gel base coat, cure 30 secs, builder layer (1), cure 3 mins, builder layer (2), cure 3 mins, wipe sticky layer, buff to refine shape, brush away dust, 2 coats of gel polish (2 mins cure after each coat), finish with gel top coat, cure 3 mins, wipe away sticky layer, cuticle oil.

I think it must be something I did wrong just before coats of gel polish...if I buff then wipe clean, won't my buffing have been in vain?? (may sound like a silly question, sorry!! :o)

Oh and thankyou for your replies...:D xxx

No question is a silly question - How are you to learn if you dont ask questions

Your steps seem ok except that I would clean after blending tips and again after refining shape before applying gel polish . Cleasning will not effect the buffing but it will ensure a clean oil free surface for your colour to go on

When you say the colour did not go on well what exactly do you mean ?

Thanks for the reply...It sort of puckered and didn't have the nice level surface I would expect and then it came off really quickly...again not as I normally experience.

I have had a problem as well (maybe related) with one friend that no enhancement I do will stay on for more than a couple of days (my own stay on until I take them off again!!)... do you think that not cleaning the nail would be the reason for that?? I had thought of using a primer as well as dehydrator as she has hormonal problems that I thought could be the cause (her pituitary gland doesn't function properly) and therefore too much oil is being produced???? so fully degreasing may help???

Thanks again...I look forward to hearing back from you xxx

Latest posts

Back