Gel polish peeling after a week

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hhh

Reaction score
Hi I must be doing something wrong as my gel polish seems to peel on 2-3 nails from the free edge after 6-7 days.
My process is:
Dry cuticle work
File
Buff grown part of nail
Scrub fresh
Ph bond
Foundation 5 second cure
dry brush
2× coats of gelish 30 sec cure each
top it off 30 sec
cleanse
Any help would be fab thank you

Hi, are you capping the free edge when applying the polish?

Yes I cap with each layer, but it just seems to come off the free edge within a couple of days.

What is the condition of the natural nails?

If they are peeling, weak or damaged there are much more likely to peel and nothing in your prep will stop this.

Is this on everyone you see or just yourself/relative?

Seems to happen on mine everytime. My mums are usually fine, odd chip due to work. All of my friends came off not a clue why!
My nails are a little weak as I was re buffing them each time which caused that. Thank you for your help

What product are you using?

I find that gel just doesn't last on some people. Others it lasts ages!

Could it be your lamp ?

I just find it really strange that it is only a couple of nails and not all :(. If I fix the couple of peeled Nails they then usually all last fine.

Could it be hand placement in your lamp ? Going in too far maybe ? What lamp do you use ?

Could it be hand placement in your lamp ? Going in too far maybe ? What lamp do you use ?
It could poss be placement. I have a 36watt led lamp, which seems to cure ok

It could poss be placement. I have a 36watt led lamp, which seems to cure ok
Also check your curing times are correct for the lamp you're using x

Also check your curing times are correct for the lamp you're using x

Just rechecked there curing times for the lamp and it says 30 secs for base. However gelish advise 5secs base cure (which I have been doing) maybe I haven't been curing the base long enough. Could this have caused peeling?. Can gel ever be over cured?

Yes it's 5secs for the 18g lamp, not sure on times for other gelish lamps as I've only ever used the 18g led lamp. You really should be using the gelish lamp with gelish so you don't get service breakdown. So yes I think this is your problem, the foundation shouldn't be over cured as it can cause chipping etc I would definitely invest in a gelish lamp x

If it's not your lamp or timings, I would say it's down to the weakness of your own nails. Everything lasts better on stronger nails

Hi I must be doing something wrong as my gel polish seems to peel on 2-3 nails from the free edge after 6-7 days.
My process is:
Dry cuticle work
File
Buff grown part of nail
Scrub fresh
Ph bond
Foundation 5 second cure
dry brush
2× coats of gelish 30 sec cure each
top it off 30 sec
cleanse
Any help would be fab thank you

what make of brand do you use hun?

Yes it's 5secs for the 18g lamp, not sure on times for other gelish lamps as I've only ever used the 18g led lamp. You really should be using the gelish lamp with gelish so you don't get service breakdown. So yes I think this is your problem, the foundation shouldn't be over cured as it can cause chipping etc I would definitely invest in a gelish lamp x
Hi, could I just ask you about the gelish lamp please .. When you cure the base coat for 5 seconds is it bone dry when you remove or is it still slightly tacky ? And the same with the 30 second cure, is that still very slightly tacky or completely dry?
Em X

Hi, could I just ask you about the gelish lamp please .. When you cure the base coat for 5 seconds is it bone dry when you remove or is it still slightly tacky ? And the same with the 30 second cure, is that still very slightly tacky or completely dry?
Em X
Each layer is tacky. I'm convinced that those clients that claim they didn't do anything to compromise the gelish polish are kidding us and themselves on. I've had clients with good and d eliminated nails all whose gelish has lasted. There are some like my family members who simply don't appreciate that gel nails are not indestructible and dipping them in bleach or using them to open cans of juice, scrape art ex from their ceilings, or scraping ice from their windscreens will eventually wear down the layers of capping chipping the polish. Grrŕ

Latest posts

Back