Gel polish, please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jodie077

Reaction score
Hi all. Im new to nails and have recently completed a uv gel course with gateway. The course was unbranded so i can choose which brand i want to use. Its a bit overwhelming as theres so many!! I cant afford to do any extra brand training at the mo so shellac ect is out of the question but can anyone please recommend a gel polish that is a good starting point?! Thanks in advance! X
Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

You don't need any extra training to use Shellac, you just need a basic Manicure qualification. So that's still an option for you. You can also look at Gelish, Ink, IBD, OPI's Gelcolor, Jessica's Geleration - that's all I can think of at the minute. Shellac and Ink are my favourites but you could get a bottle of each to try out and find which one you prefer. Good Luck :)

Oh I thought u had to train with CND to use shellac! Thanks I might buy a few different ones and try them! X:D

I have found Bluesky have a fab range of colours & they work & last for me. Just be careful as I've heard some insurers don't cover Bluesky. I'm with The Guild & I'm covered x

Gel II™ has recently launched in the uk and is proving highly popular! It's available from www.thecreativebeautygroup.co.uk amazing colours including colour changing, no base coat, goes on like a dream and is a great price xx

There are lots out there, some are professional only and some are definitely not! Bluesky being one that is definitely not.

Before you choose find out how they are applied as some need certain procedures ie; nail buff to remove the shine or only using the specific branded lamp. So if you buy a range of different ones to try you might not get the right results. Do a lot of research, narrow it down and then do more research!

Good luck

Karaxxx

Thanks for all your help. i used gelissmo on my training what does everyone think of that? X

Thanks for all your help. i used gelissmo on my training what does everyone think of that? X

I found Gelissimo to be a nice product but lacked a colour range to compete with other brands. But price wise is very good.
If you are wanting to try other brands I would see if any companies have trial or sample packs, I know Cuccio Veneer have sample packs, Gelish have a mini kit but you would still need a full size bottle of colour to go with, crystal nails have mini bottles of their one step. I would try first before you consider investing - but research what you are wanting from the product. Is it a large colour range, the ability to add additives for a bespoke service, is price a factor etc? Once you've decided I'd recommend training with your chosen brand so you get the best results x

I would try to narrow your choice to as few as possible using the advice recommended so far, then see if you could get your own nails done with the chosen few as you might find you have a preferred brand once you are wearing it. x

I would do your research then go and have a treatment with the brands you have narrowed it down it, see which you prefer then research some more, I really would recommend saving to have the specific brand training as they all differ slightly in their applications etc. I use gelish, they require a mani pedi cert to be able to attend the Gelish 101 translation course, it wasn't a lot of money but was invaluable, their customer service and technical support is excellent x

Thats a great idea thanks to all who replyed i feel a bit better about choosing now:) xx

I'm using gellux as have recently trained. I have read on a few threads on here that you can mix colours with gellux. So far I've not had any trouble only that mine took ages to soak off. I should have done more research into the different makes but was impatient

Im the same im surprised ive waited this long! Ive read the gelissimo can take longer to remove aswel so ive ruled that one out! Think im gunna try gel II and ibd just gel for now and see how i get on with them! Thanks again for all ur help ladies!! :D xx

Hey!

MANIQ by Young Nails is hard wearing and will last up until the infill. You do need a base and top but since beginning my training and trying out Shellac too, the young nails MANIQ has definitely been the best and I will be using this in my salon x

Ive never heard of it ill look it up thanks:) x

ask your friends and family and anyone who you think will be your target market and ask them if they could wave a magic wand , what would they want from a gel polish. Then try and find a brand that matches their requirements the closest.

Thats a fab idea!! Thanks so much ill so that! X:D

Latest posts

Back