Gel polish/power polish training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulaJayne1976

Reaction score
Hi guys
I've just completed the deluxe manicure module of my level 2 nail tech and although now going on to do extensions I am keen to book on additional training straight away in a Gel orPower polish.
I have a few friends who are nail techs, 1 has said go the Shellac route, another has said OPI GelColor, I know in addition to these there are also the likes of Gellish and Gellux along with many more but really cannot decide who to go with.
I could do with some real honest opinions to help me make a decision as I've read up on the different systems and am still unsure.
I'm also gonna have to do a conversion course I think after my nail enhancement module as we are training using 'the edge' and I've heard no positive comments at all so I'm also interested in any suggestions for this if you have any? 😊
Thank u in advance
Paula xxx

Hi, I am just deciding Gelish or Shellac at the min, asked on facebook and so far 5-1 to Gelish as its longer lasting! This is off people who have had both as well, probs not much help but I am swaying towards Gelish at the min from what I have read on here x

Hey, I have been using shellac for about a year, but tbh I don't think it is as amazing as made out. So I recenrlt bought gellux to try I asked a few regular clients (shellac) to give it a try and they all loved it they. I found it lasted long if u buff the nail slightly. And from a price point I love it. Has anyone else used Gellux?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Hi, I am just deciding Gelish or Shellac at the min, asked on facebook and so far 5-1 to Gelish as its longer lasting! This is off people who have had both as well, probs not much help but I am swaying towards Gelish at the min from what I have read on here x

I don't necessarily see this as an advantage. Depending on the person after 10 days or so regrowth is pretty noticeable and most people, including myself, are desperate for a change after 2 weeks. If you think from a business point of view surely its better to have clients returning every 2 weeks rather than 3?

Also not having to file the nail plate is a big plus. Natural Nail clients do not like it and you will thin the nail, especially after repeated treatments which can lead to problems down the line.

Thanks ladies
This is incredibly helpful so far. The fact one of you has done a pole of customers preferences and another trailed a new product on those previously using shellac is interesting. I def need to seriously think this through before making a decision lol
Xxxx

I use both, I find Gelish is better on myself as they are dry brittle & flakey, I find the Gelish is stronger and my natural nails don't bend causing cracking as it did with the shellac.
It's 50/50 with what clients have, people ask or shellac by name, but it doesn't mean that they have it as some times Gelish is more suitable! Not much help in helping you decide though sorry.
But if I'm being 100% honest had I discovered Gelish first I wouldn't have used shellac (I don't buff natural nail with Gelish).
Why not try the products yourself first x

Why not get yourself down to the next beauty show and talk to some of the companies. Ask them to do a sample nail on you. You can decide then how it looks, how it lasts, removal process and nail condition after. If you ask on here everyone will champion the product they use and you won't be much clearer. I love Gelish myself and have been using it for 18 months. I do lightly buff and my nails are as strong as the day I started. :)

I agree with what Sam81 said! I came on salon geek the other year to get some advice on which brand to go for/who to train with and someone recommended going to a beauty show and having a look for myself. It was hands down the best advice given to me, you get a real feel for the products and can compare easily as all the best ones are there!
I personally chose Nail Harmony (Gelish) and am so pleased I did, my clients and I love it! It's such a versatile product and long lasting, over a hundred colour choices before you even start with all the different layering options you an create. The training was fantastic and the support is still there once you have completed your course. Just the other week I rang my educator for advice on something and she was more than willing to help! She informs me of new courses and opportunites which is brilliant because you can never stop learning in this trade, there's always new things cropping up!
Sorry that was mega long haha hope it helps though, I'm definitely a Gelish fan (in case I didn't make that clear :p )

Good luck choosing!

I use Gellux and i dont buff the nail prior to application. It all depends on your area. There are many very good techs near me offering real Shellac and the complete system for £15 and that was my problem. So i went for a cheaper brand, it lasts well but removal takes longer. Ive had Shellac and i personally had no problems with it lasting.
Good luck choosing x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I don't necessarily see this as an advantage. Depending on the person after 10 days or so regrowth is pretty noticeable and most people, including myself, are desperate for a change after 2 weeks. If you think from a business point of view surely its better to have clients returning every 2 weeks rather than 3?

Also not having to file the nail plate is a big plus. Natural Nail clients do not like it and you will thin the nail, especially after repeated treatments which can lead to problems down the line.

You don't always have to buff the natural nail plate with gelish and if you do, you only very gently buff it! if you are a trained tech, then there is no reason why you would ever damage the natural nail plate.

Also in this economic climate, clients want to get the longest time out of their polish to save them on pennies.

Lot's of my client's used to have Shellac and now come to me for Gelish and they all have lovely healthy nails :) x

Like you last year I couldn't decide between
Opi
Gelish
Shellac
In the end I had to decide as if I was a customer with no experience of nails and I remember for me how I was always disappointed at choices of colours when I use to get my nails done. So based on that I went with gelish and never looked back.
It is personal choice at the end of the day.
If you haven't tried all of your possible choices when not test them out, maybe that would help?
Also all the time I've been offering gelish I've never buffed the nails and its not affected the results in anyway.

Latest posts

Back