Gel polish thinner?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawte

Certified Nail Technician
Reaction score
I am looking at buying some gel polish thinner online seeing as how no one in my city has even heard that there is such a thing. There are two brands I have seen online but there aren't that many reviews. I was wondering if anyone has tried any and if they work. TIA

I've never heard of one, can you provide a link to either of the products you have seen on line

Hmmmm - not had any need for a thinner, I used CND and Gel2. Not sure it's a wise plan as surely it will change the formula which could lead to service breakdown.

My problem is with my white gel polish. I have tried Gelish, Orly Gel Fx and another I can't remember the brand, they are all so so thick and they wrinkle no matter how thin of a coat I think I'm putting on. I figured it was worth a shot

My problem is with my white gel polish. I have tried Gelish, Orly Gel Fx and another I can't remember the brand, they are all so so thick and they wrinkle no matter how thin of a coat I think I'm putting on. I figured it was worth a shot

Have you tried standing the bottle of gel polish in a bowl of warm water while you are prepping to warm it a little?
I find this makes my Gelish White so much easier to apply as you can get the coats really thin. x

Have you tried using a different brush? White wrinkles due to the higher volume of pigment required, if you are getting wrinkling it's definitely too think even if you think it's thinner. I can't go thin on tips with a standard brush, I used a small brush

Have you tried standing the bottle of gel polish in a bowl of warm water while you are prepping to warm it a little?
I find this makes my Gelish White so much easier to apply as you can get the coats really thin. x
Great suggestion. Thank you

Have you tried using a different brush? White wrinkles due to the higher volume of pigment required, if you are getting wrinkling it's definitely too think even if you think it's thinner. I can't go thin on tips with a standard brush, I used a small brush
I will definitely try that. Thank you for your reply :)

I know of two gel polish thinners - Beauty Secrets which is sold at Sally and Gelos which is made by LeChat. I have the Gelos one. I haven't used it much and only on highly pigmented colors from Gelish, ACG and LeChat. It does thin the consistency a bit, and that helps prevent wrinkling by allowing you to apply thinner coats. It doesn't seem to interfere with curing or affect wear time. I'd recommend only using it for highly pigmented color coats.I would be especially wary of using it with hybrid gel polishes like CND Shellac which cures both through UV and the evaporation of solvents. I don't think it's clear how a thinner would affect that process.

Interesting. Good to know. Thank you so much :)

I know of two gel polish thinners - Beauty Secrets which is sold at Sally and Gelos which is made by LeChat. I have the Gelos one. I haven't used it much and only on highly pigmented colors from Gelish, ACG and LeChat. It does thin the consistency a bit, and that helps prevent wrinkling by allowing you to apply thinner coats. It doesn't seem to interfere with curing or affect wear time. I'd recommend only using it for highly pigmented color coats.I would be especially wary of using it with hybrid gel polishes like CND Shellac which cures both through UV and the evaporation of solvents. I don't think it's clear how a thinner would affect that process.[/QUOTE

Glam and Glits do a gel polish thinner, I got mine in the UK on the TBNL site, I had no choice to get this since some of my CND shellac colours went thick and wouldn't cover the nail in a thin coat no matter how much I shook, or just tapped like some people suggest and warming I think makes the solvents evaporate more I have no idea why the polishes went thick because I don't leave the tops open and clean around the bottle when finished so there I can't think but I can tell you every time I have used these colours was when I used my led daylight lamp (Not UV) so I am thinking this had something to do with it I don't how or why's I kind of think it emitted some sort of warmth although it really shouldn't have and just sort of made the polish solvent evaporate (my theory) anyway bottom line to save the rest of the polish and what was I going to lose anyway I bought gel polish thinner and glad I did cos it added the solvents back and they are great now and I have not noticed any difference in the performance, CND distributors are sworn to stick by everything they tell you just to protect their product and uphold that reputation but at the end of the day its our money that has gone down the drain! Now they have brought out a new range called "Luxe" I believe correct me if I am wrong, anyhow I hope they have ironed out all the eccentricities of the product before we all waste our money.

No such thing exists. Youll mess up the already low quality gel polish.

Latest posts

Back