Gel polish training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirsty34

Reaction score
Help
I've booked to do a gel polish course next week which I cannot cancel.Since booking it though I have read some bad reviews on this certain make ( mainly about removing the polish.It taking about an hour to do) So now I think I would like to use gelish(good reviews)
Does anyone know if all gel polishes are roughly applied the same way so after this course I wouldn't need to do the gelish course ,as I didn't really want to pay out twice.:|

Be careful using Gelish. There are numerous reports of allergic reaction from long term use of Gelish. I have not used Gelish yet, I have some ordered I am waiting on to try it out, but I ordered it before I heard about the allergic reaction claims. If you are looking for a gel polish like Gelish, look into CND Shellac. It is hypo allergic and doesn't have the same reports of allergic reactions. I am going to start purchasing the CND Shellac myself to use over the Gelish because of the allergic reaction claims. The last thing I want is to cause someone else pain because of a product I applied to their nails!

I have just bought OPI gelcolor & the reviews are good on that :)

Why can't you cancel? Have a look on the website for policies and ask the place for a refund? If they say their policy is they can't refund then say you r goin to take legal action and get in touch with the citizens advice bureau and threat small claims court that's what I did with a course and got a full refund!!! X

Be careful using Gelish. There are numerous reports of allergic reaction from long term use of Gelish. I have not used Gelish yet, I have some ordered I am waiting on to try it out, but I ordered it before I heard about the allergic reaction claims. If you are looking for a gel polish like Gelish, look into CND Shellac. It is hypo allergic and doesn't have the same reports of allergic reactions. I am going to start purchasing the CND Shellac myself to use over the Gelish because of the allergic reaction claims. The last thing I want is to cause someone else pain because of a product I applied to their nails!

Do you have any actual evidence of this at all, or is this just one of those malicious rumours started to put people off a product?

I notice from your profile that you are not actually in this Industry (unless you have filled it out wrong) and this is your very first post on here, this makes me more suspicious of you than Gelish!

Explained Example Of Acrylates Allergy Development On Salon Geek
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/124062-help-client-allergy-can-i-shellac.html

Conversation about Gelish Allergic Reaction On Salon Geek
(Salon Geek - Is anyone having an allergic reaction to Gelish?)

Also, on the CND Shellac website it clearly states there is no acrylates, formaldehyde, toluene, or DBP (Dibutyl Phthalate) and it is hypoallergenic! All are known allergens for people sensitive to acrylates.
(Science Center - CND)

I know this because I recently suffered an allergic reaction to the SINA UV Gel System for beginners. After three applications I began to experience tingling, burning, itching sensations from my nails, up my fingers and into my wrist. It turns out it was the Acrylates in the UV Gel.
I had to find an alternative because regular polish does not last for me past a few hours. I am a stay at home housewife who is constantly cleaning something and regular polish just can't stand up to the constant abuse.
Before you judge someone, ASK! DON'T just assume and make your mind up about someone else's intentions before you have all the facts and the whole story! If you want to know more about others experiencing an allergic reaction to Gelish just Google it!

Shellac isn't a gel polish.

Explained Example Of Acrylates Allergy Development On Salon Geek
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/124062-help-client-allergy-can-i-shellac.html

Conversation about Gelish Allergic Reaction On Salon Geek
(Salon Geek - Is anyone having an allergic reaction to Gelish?)

Also, on the CND Shellac website it clearly states there is no acrylates, formaldehyde, toluene, or DBP (Dibutyl Phthalate) and it is hypoallergenic! All are known allergens for people sensitive to acrylates.
(Science Center - CND)

I know this because I recently suffered an allergic reaction to the SINA UV Gel System for beginners. After three applications I began to experience tingling, burning, itching sensations from my nails, up my fingers and into my wrist. It turns out it was the Acrylates in the UV Gel.
I had to find an alternative because regular polish does not last for me past a few hours. I am a stay at home housewife who is constantly cleaning something and regular polish just can't stand up to the constant abuse.
Before you judge someone, ASK! DON'T just assume and make your mind up about someone else's intentions before you have all the facts and the whole story! If you want to know more about others experiencing an allergic reaction to Gelish just Google it!

The thing is it would be easier to know the whole story if you had just filled in your profile. ;)

Thanks for the links, however I had been hoping for some scientific resarch of some kind and not just stories of allergic reactions on forums like this.
Google also just brings you back to threads on here and other beauty forums.

It is unfortunate that you have an allergy to the acrylates in UV gel, and therefore you would need to be very careful in using a gel polish of any brand. Shellac being a hybrid 'power polish' may well be the most suitable product for you.

In some of the threads linked here, it would appear that in some cases it was not the gel polish that caused the allergic reactions, but possibly the acetone used to remove it or the Gel cleanser/isopropyl alcohol used to remove the sticky inhbition layer.
Indeed the uncured inhibition layer can also be the cause of allergic reactions, however it really should not touch the skin of the technician as it should be wiped off with a pad soaked in the aforementioned gel cleanser.

None of this really warrants warning people off using Gelish or booking a training course to learn how to use it properly.

The main problems we may have in the future with gel polishes is that untrained consumers will be able to purchase them and not knowing that uncured (or undercured if they use the wrong lamp) product can cause allergies will blame the product rather than possibly their misuse of the product if this occurs.

Also can I say that if you are not a trained nail tech yourself, that this is a forum for salon professionals, and a non pro posting 'advice' like you did about a pro product is a bit off.

Fair enough to post your experience of allergic reaction to the UV gel system, but I still don't seee why Gelish should be singled out for a 'warning'.:confused: ...and the OP still has not actually had an answer to her question!

Regarding that, most gel polishes are applied the same way, but not all, the problem with doing one course and then using another brand is that most Insurance compnaies now list all your training courses on the Certificate, so you are really only covered for the products named on the Certificate.
Therefore if you want to use Gelish, then that would be the training to do...good luck getting a refund for the other course.

Help
I've booked to do a gel polish course next week which I cannot cancel.Since booking it though I have read some bad reviews on this certain make ( mainly about removing the polish.It taking about an hour to do) So now I think I would like to use gelish(good reviews)
Does anyone know if all gel polishes are roughly applied the same way so after this course I wouldn't need to do the gelish course ,as I didn't really want to pay out twice.:|

Hi please do not be put off Gelish from the really stupid comment made from the girl below your original post!!!!!! Gelish has won so many awards this yr and obviously wouldnt if they had such bad press, now would they!!! i have been using gelish for two yrs now, and have endless amounts of clients still flooding in! Most of which are converted from other Gels! This site is so bitchy, an people should not comment on products unless they have real evidence and not just stupid quotes from this site!!!!! oh and btw, not one off my clients have ever had an allergic reaction!!! its more likely acetone!! I am allergic to wheat! so whhat i eat wheat free! if just 1 person is allergic to Gelish, they are more than likely allergic to most products!!!!!!!!!!!!! rant over! hth

I have a new client, who is trying out Gelish as her SHELLAC has broke her cuticle area and underneath her nails all out!! am so mad at your stupid dig at Gelish Amandarose!!! i take it your not beauty therapist educated, get facts 1st before bringing a product down!!!!! Gelish havent won all the awards for nothing you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help

I know you'd still be paying out twice this way, but you can do a translation course with nail harmony (gelish) and it costs around £90 plus VAT. It's a one day course for those who are used to one system and would like to begin using another. So could maybe do this after the course you are currently booked on and it won't cost quite as much? I've only used gelish but from what I gather on here each make can work in varying ways so would probably be best to train in the particular product you'd like to use, just to be safe :) if you go on the nail harmony website there is an eduction section where you can find your local educator, just phone/email them and they'll be able to give you some advice. Hope this helps

I don't currently use gelish but I've been looking into it and I'm wanting to do their course in the near future when I get time! But it seems a good product and theres alot of threads on here about it being good. Fair enough some people have had reactions to it but different people are allergic to different things and this could happen with ANY product so I don't think this should put people off using it but that's just my opinion :).

In defence of Amandarose, but not singling out Gelish in any way, I have to say that she is not incorrect to say that there has been a marked increase in reports of allergic reactions amongst those who are using coloured gels, from both those who wear them and the therapists who apply them. It isn't really surprising as we all know that on the allergic scale, gels in general do rank as having the highest probability of causing an allergic reaction to those susceptible, as gels are highly reactive. It therefore is why we as professionals should be vigilant when applying to not expose our or our clients' skin to the unreacted gel. Consumers certainly should not be using gel colour coats at all as they are risking trouble through ignorance, and shame on the companies who are selling to the consumer!

So I do not think the post from Amandarose was stupid, I do not think this site is bitchy and the only example of a bithcy post in this thread is from the person who claims this site is bitchy :biggrin: Typical! :biggrin:

Hi Kirsty,What course are you booked into do. I use Gellux and have heard many people moaning about it not coming off easy and it taking ages but I have never had a problem with it and love the product so just goes to show you that everyone has different opinions. xx

I use IBD just gel polish and find it great :lol:
Also going to try ce chic gelacker heard some very good review on this product....
With so much choice you will find one that suits yours and your clients needs

I have used gelish and had to transfer to gellux. Gelish did not seem to last as long as gellux and Ive had other nail technicians state this

Latest posts

Back