Gel sensitivity?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxglove

Reaction score
Hiya.......I am looking for a bit of help as I am still really new to this profession and am, quite frankly, flummoxed.

I did my Calgel training last month and things have been going really well - repeat clients have come back for their maintenance with fantastic looking nails - no lifting or chipping - so I was chuffed to bits. I am always really careful with my prep, and always go back to re-check it before applying the gel.

However, I did a set of nails on a friend (desperate to be my guinae pig!) before my course, 8 weeks ago, then did infills 4 weeks ago (straight after my course). All went well until yesterday. I recieved an email saying that 4 nails had 'fallen off' and the nail plate underneath was sore and weak.

I dont understand how the nail plate could be thinner and sore, as I only lightly buffed the surface of the nail to give a key?

Any advice or thoughts would bre greatly appreciated - as I genuinely dont know what I have done wrong. I am always so careful whith any treatment I perform, so this sort of thing does not happen :cry:

Edited to add that she is coming tonight for another appointment......

When she comes look for any trauma to the nail plate.
Enhancements don't just fall off but it they were pulled off that would be a different story :wink2: hence the damage.

Just bear that in mind when you see her,if this hasn't happened before and you use proper prep procedure the above could well be the cause hth's .

Just fallen off!! when she comes tonight check to see if there is any gel left on the nail plate, chances are, if there is she has picked at them.

Did you do nno or use tips? If there is soreness and the nailplate is thinner, did you overblend, or another cause could be if she did pick them off then then the nail plate will be thinner and sore. Or were you too heavy with the calgel spongeboard when you did your prep. Just a thought, but Im sure you will have a better indication tonight. xx

Hi becky!
Yes definately used the proper prep proceedure - followed the DVD and the manual to the letter.

It occured to me that she had somehow 'pulled them off' hence the trauma - but she swears she hasnt........

She did mention that she had a set of gel toenails done last summer - they ended up sore and bruised. I wondered if this could be linked?

Just fallen off!! when she comes tonight check to see if there is any gel left on the nail plate, chances are, if there is she has picked at them.

Did you do nno or use tips? If there is soreness and the nailplate is thinner, did you overblend, or another cause could be if she did pick them off then then the nail plate will be thinner and sore.

Will have a look for traces of gel...! They were NNO. Although after the course I 'had a go' at sculpting the thumb nails.....they only stayed on for 2 weeks. But it was only my second attempt, and she had moved house and was eating a satsuma at the time :rolleyes:

I dont think I was over zealous with the spongeboard. The only thing I can possibly think was that I perhaps filed the natural nail near the cuticle when blending the calgel for the infills. But I dont think so.:confused:

Considering the amount of time it takes to actually soak the gel off, I cannot imagine for the life of me how they just 'fell off'. Can it happen if someone has naturally oily nails?

I have a client whose nails are very soft and oily, Calgel did peel after around 10 days but she admitted to peeling and picking herself. I have never experienced them just falling off. Dont worry yourself, it sounds like you are doing a great job and doing everything as you should.

Check your friends nails tonight, I bet you will find that they did not just fall off though! :hug:

Awww - thank you! I am sure I did a thorough job - I am just a bit worried that she may have a sensitivity to the product.....so was unsure wether to do another set. I dont want to make matters worse.

We will be soaking off the remaining nails tonight, and then assess from there.

Four weeks is 1-2 weeks too long to wait for maintenance ... she is pushing them to the limit.

Naturally she is going to have lifting by that time and I'm sure she picked at them.

Maintenance should be carried out every 2-3 weeks MAX. if you want to see trouble free enhancements.

I have never had anyone have a sensitivity to Calgel - not saying that it could never happen - i just havent come across it.

If the product were still on...and she was having pain/discomfort then i would be worried...if its off (she's picked it off or used something VERY HARSH that it doesnt like)

What clients DONT realise is that by picking it off they are REMOVING some of the nail plate. A serial picker of mine (owns up to it too) has even caused her self onychylosis :smack: :smack: :smack: :smack: :smack: :irked:

I would agree with gigi on the time length she has left it ( i appreciate some peeps cant afford it every 2 weeks though).

I have clients have nno's and go 4 weeks some 5 or more:eek: before they bother to book back in...more often than not all gel still in tact just hideous regrowth.

Try and coax out of her how she did it.....quite often they WILL confess to bit of picking....and which time you can RE EDUCATE them !

Good luck hun

AMb x

Latest posts

Back