Gel vs acrylic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laura1201

Reaction score
Ive done a search on this but cant quite find a definite answer! What are the differences between gel and acrylic? I know what they are, how they work etc but trying to explain it to a client in simple terms without going into too much detail and boring them is what I find hard! Im experienced in gel but havent done acrylic since college so have forgotten a lot!

Ive done a search on this but cant quite find a definite answer! What are the differences between gel and acrylic? I know what they are, how they work etc but trying to explain it to a client in simple terms without going into too much detail and boring them is what I find hard! Im experienced in gel but havent done acrylic since college so have forgotten a lot!

There isn't actually allot of difference (when we are talking about enhancement gels) ... one you mix yourself and polymerization is set off with the heat from the body. The other is pre-mixed and the polymerization process is set off with UV light. But clients don't want to know that! That sort of info is not what will sway their choice (if you give them one lol)

What sways a client's choice is what's in it for them if thay choose it. The answer is very little difference at all when it comes to look or longevity ... the one thing some clients love about gel is the permanent shine ... but this is off set by the fact that you have to remove it by buffing it off :-(. I think it is an aesthetic choice rather than the fact that one is better than the other ... that just isn't true.

Normally I make a choice for the client unless they are adament that they want one or the other. Some have been put of L&P by a GEL technician that has bad mouthed the service because she only does gel .. and visa versa. Poor old clients .. they really haven't a clue. Both are great systems and both last equally well (at the top end anyway).

Geeg,
May i ask what your opinion is regarding soak oe gel?
I have previously used soak off gel for overlays.

Sent from my MT15i using SalonGeek

Geeg,
May i ask what your opinion is regarding soak oe gel?
I have previously used soak off gel for overlays.

My opinion of SOG as an enhancement gel or colour coat gels?

Over tips or as an overlay, or full colour coat. For extention i would use buff off gel.
Hope that explains it a bit better

Geeg thanks for that thats really helpful, i usually decide for them too. But alot ask!

Can I ask what you use to decide what you would use on a particular client?

My opinion is that id only use gel, buff off gel, if the client is one who would constantly have them on and rebalanced every two weeks, as it would have to be buffed off the natural nail. This may be a false view to have, but unsure what else would help me decide.

I use CND l&p unless the client is really against l&p and wants gel and at that I ask why etc.

Id be keen to hear your view in what makes up your mind!

Emx

Geeg thanks for that thats really helpful, i usually decide for them too. But alot ask!

Can I ask what you use to decide what you would use on a particular client?

My opinion is that id only use gel, buff off gel, if the client is one who would constantly have them on and rebalanced every two weeks, as it would have to be buffed off the natural nail. This may be a false view to have, but unsure what else would help me decide.

I use CND l&p unless the client is really against l&p and wants gel and at that I ask why etc.

Id be keen to hear your view in what makes up your mind!

Emx

No, I think it is a perfectly reasonable rational.

Honestly ?? I decide on which is quickest and easiest for ME on that particular day. Like you L&P is usually wins as Gel always takes a bit longer than L&P. Whichever, they both last the same with the brand I use, so it is what suits me that makes the choice. :biggrin:

Honestly ?? I decide on which is quickest and easiest for ME on that particular day. Like you L&P is usually wins as Gel always takes a bit longer than L&P. Whichever, they both last the same with the brand I use, so it is what suits me that makes the choice. :biggrin:

Can I ask, if a client only wants gel enhancements for a special occassion rather than long term would soak off gel be acceptable?
I am not trained for using an e-file so therefore would have to buff off manually taking longer and i would be worried about buffing to close to the natural nail.

Can I ask, if a client only wants gel enhancements for a special occassion rather than long term would soak off gel be acceptable?
I am not trained for using an e-file so therefore would have to buff off manually taking longer and i would be worried about buffing to close to the natural nail.

Of course it would.

Over tips or as an overlay, or full colour coat. For extention i would use buff off gel.
Hope that explains it a bit better

My knowledge of SOG as an enhancement is that, as with any single system, this treatment does not suit everyone.

It is all a matter of degrees of strength and how much strength is needed for different nail types.

It is all getting much more fine-tuned now and you could invest in 4 or five different forms of overlay to use on different nail types.

I have always used enhancement products (gel and L&P and wraps) to enhance length and shape when that is what people want. It is fast for me to do, lasts weeks and clients love it.

I use Shellac for natural nail clients only. I think this category of client wants a gentle treatment that adds a bit of strength, lasts, looks like polish and is instantly dry. That is what they get with Shellac, the whole deal.

If clients want to use a SOG for MORE strength than Shellac gives, then you have to go on to add a 'builder' or the new word 'structure' (same thing) gel and this now puts one back into the enhancement category and out of the colour coat category.

SOGs are not as strong as L&P or buff-off gels. I know buff-off gels put some people off using them, but they are stronger and the times you actually need to buff it all off are VERY VERY few ... take it from one who has been using them for years.

So to sum up, you can buy and learn to use all the different category choices on offer or you can use SOG colour or Shellac for those for whom they were intended to be used and not try to make them into something they are not or to do something they are not intended to do. Making the wrong choices is why people have problems. And using these products with only a manicure certificate means the person has no real knowledge of which nails need to be enhanced and which nails do not and they try to please everyone with one product and come a cropper doing it.

My knowledge of SOG as an enhancement is that, as with any single system, this treatment does not suit everyone.

It is all a matter of degrees of strength and how much strength is needed for different nail types.

It is all getting much more fine-tuned now and you could invest in 4 or five different forms of overlay to use on different nail types.

I have always used enhancement products (gel and L&P and wraps) to enhance length and shape when that is what people want. It is fast for me to do, lasts weeks and clients love it.

I use Shellac for natural nail clients only. I think this category of client wants a gentle treatment that adds a bit of strength, lasts, looks like polish and is instantly dry. That is what they get with Shellac, the whole deal.

If clients want to use a SOG for MORE strength than Shellac gives, then you have to go on to add a 'builder' or the new word 'structure' (same thing) gel and this now puts one back into the enhancement category and out of the colour coat category.

SOGs are not as strong as L&P or buff-off gels. I know buff-off gels put some people off using them, but they are stronger and the times you actually need to buff it all off are VERY VERY few ... take it from one who has been using them for years.

So to sum up, you can buy and learn to use all the different category choices on offer or you can use SOG colour or Shellac for those for whom they were intended to be used and not try to make them into something they are not or to do something they are not intended to do. Making the wrong choices is why people have problems. And using these products with only a manicure certificate means the person has no real knowledge of which nails need to be enhanced and which nails do not and they try to please everyone with one product and come a cropper doing it.

Thank you so much for your explanation.
I have acrylic, gel and silk/fiberglass certificates and have tried a variety of products on myself and family members. I am always looking to broaden my knowlege and understanding and think this site is fantastic.
I appreciate opinions of highly knowlegable and skilled such as yourself.

Hi Geeg, as always great advice in this thread! I just want to say that I do this too! I am an L&P tech really but have recently trained in gel. If my clients do not specify what enhancements they want I always do L&P and if they specifically ask for gel I ask them why and if they would consider L&P! I just don't seem to be able to get into gel at all! I love L&P! :biggrin:

Hi Geeg, as always great advice in this thread! I just want to say that I do this too! I am an L&P tech really but have recently trained in gel. If my clients do not specify what enhancements they want I always do L&P and if they specifically ask for gel I ask them why and if they would consider L&P! I just don't seem to be able to get into gel at all! I love L&P! :biggrin:

Well of course they are not :biggrin: you obviously influence them greatly and you love L&P so that is what they will go for :biggrin:

Just a word of advice though ... if you ever want to be as fluent and quick with gel as you are with L&P and if you ever want to be just as convinced that gel is a good alternative and learn it inside out YOU HAVE TO USE IT and not always take the easy way out or every time you use your gel it wil feel like the first time again.

Start doing some new clients with it rather than trying to change the L&P people, and get to know and love gel too. It will take a while but it is worth doing so that you are always happy to do anything for anybody. :hug:

thanks for all the replies this has really helped! i use a soak off gel and was always under the impression that it was better for the nails than a buff off gel as it doesnt require any buffing of the nail but it seems this isnt the case? what buff off gels are there?

Two that instantly spring to mind are cnd's Brisa and ezflow's Gel It. There are plenty more besides. :)

Latest posts

Back