GelColour coming off after kneading cake icing!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katy:)

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why this happened? i did my friend nails today and she has told me that after kneading cake icing for an hour 2 of the nails came off??!
It looks really unprofessional on my side so any explanation I can give would be great!

IF it actually happened ... And this is one I haven't heard before ... then obviously something in the icing mixture interfered chemically with the colour coat.

I have never kneaded icing at all let alone for an hour so I suggest she wear thin gloves next time.

it definitely happened, I think she did it near enough straight after i had done her nails! I heard that it can take a few hours for them to set properly is that wright? and if so could that be why? :)

I would have said that the kneading action put pressure on the nails, probably bent and moved them and it loosened the coating..

Sorry my first answer was because I thought I had read the nails had faded!

But kneading does put allot of pressure on nails and .... For a whole hour? She was asking for trouble ... That is hardly due care and attention, it it?

i guess not! just to clarify, would that be because they didnt have time to properly set?

i guess not! just to clarify, would that be because they didnt have time to properly set?
I wouldn't have said so. If you are using the correct lamp and a whole system, then the nails are cured. It is true that products can go on curing a little more over time, but they are good to go after the recommended cure time and if you are using a complete system.

Excess Movement of the nails can loosen any product and I would give an educated guess ( not to difficult really) that one hour of putting pressure on the hands and fingers, and therefore the nails, is what has done the damage.

Last edited:
ok, yes I used the complete OPI GelColour system with the LED lamp, which is why I was so shocked when she told me! Thank you for all of your reply's :cool:

Hmmmm, I've read that Gel Polishes can take up to a full 24 hours to completely set. I found this out when I posted a thread on here about a clients nails coming completely off in gloves an hour after an application.
All clients should be careful once they've had their nails done for at least a few hours. She shouldn't have baked a cake straight after. I always make sure I've had a shower washed my hair etc BEFORE I do my nails xx

Hmmmm, I've read that Gel Polishes can take up to a full 24 hours to completely set. I found this out when I posted a thread on here about a clients nails coming completely off in gloves an hour after an application.
All clients should be careful once they've had their nails done for at least a few hours. She shouldn't have baked a cake straight after. I always make sure I've had a shower washed my hair etc BEFORE I do my nails xx

As I said, but that doesn't mean extreme extra care needs to be taken for 24
Hours. When clients are done they are good to go they just need to use sensible head and go about their normal business and not do something extreme like kneading bread or icing for one hour !!

Latest posts

Back