Gelish and Shellac-the difference?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookieface

Reaction score
Can some one give me an idea on the differences between the two as my clients keep asking and I'm not 100% sure

X

Also interested in this, thanks for posting x

Gelish is a Gel Polish, basically a thinned down Gel which can be applied by brush like polish. The nail plate requires to have the shine removed before application to help with adhesion. Also you require to buff the surface of the Top Coat prior to removal.
Loads of colours available and new ones launched several times a year.

Shellac is known as a power polish but that is a marketing term, it is technically a type of gel polish..but more like polish than Gel. Also applied by brush like a polish, no removing shine,or buffing of the nail plate is required with this system. Removal is quicker and requires no buffing of the topcoat. Great selection of Classic colours but not as much choice as Gelish.

There are literally hundreds of threads on here about both....try searching them out In the search facility on here.

Thanks izzidoll x

If I may, I'd like to add to izzidoll's listing. Gelish is an LED curable gel, while CND Shellac is a hybrid form gel polish which cures only under (CFL) UV light. Gelish is generally considered more durable, and CND Shellac as easier to remove. CND Shellac is hypoallergenic.

Just to add further ... LED is a type of bulb not a type of light.

LED lamps for nails emit UV light from the bulbs also as that is the light gels cure with.

CND at the moment cures with a different type of bulb and those bulbs have a specific placement in the CND lamp and are set at a specific distance for the assurance of complete curing of CND gels and Shellac.

Latest posts

Back