Gelish hard gel extensions help please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah-Nail Tech

Reaction score
Hi geeks, apologies if there is already a thread about this. I did search but didn't find the answer I was looking for.

As some of you may know I have only recently qualified in July and was literally only a days training on each section - ie man & ped 1 day, gel another etc.

Anyways, I am fine with everything else except the gel extensions. I use Gelish and have the Gelish LED hard gel.

I have a UV light and nail harmony have confirmed that I can still use the LED builder gel with this lamp but will just take the 2mins to cure.

So my question is, would this be the way you apply extensions:

Prepare the nail and do cuticle work, lightly buff the nail plate, measure and glue tips, use white block to blend, ph bond to natural nail only, thin layer of foundation, then 2 layers of the builder gel, then top it off. Or to put a colour on put this on after the 2 layers of builder gel then top it off?

Also how would you remove the Gelish hard gel? I know this is a buff off one but what grit file would you use?

These might seem like dumb queries but I have not actually removed tips yet as we were only briefly told how to remove and did not actually do this. Plus the girl who done mine on the course has ruined my nails and am still trying to nurture them back by keeping them short (otherwise they just split) and using solar oil at least twice a day!! So I am worries about doing them now incase I damage a clients nails :-/

Thanks for help in advance geeks. I always feel like I learn more by asking I here than I did on my course!!! ;-) xxx

I've also asked this question before hun, and got no response either! :-(

I currently offer Gelish and it has been the best thing I ever did, however, I do still get enquiries about nail extensions and I am debating between GHG and Acrylic?

The thing is, I don't want to spend the money on a GHG Training course without knowing beforehand, the removal process. Because if I don't like the way it is removed, then I have wasted my money.

I'm also wondering if you can do infills when using artificial tips? and if so how? as I know some ladies insist upon artificial white tips! I would personally prefer to sculpt as I think I know how to infill with a scuplt.

Here's hoping someone who has knowledge of GHG will respond!! :biggrin: x

Ok I don't use your hard gel but

Hard gels when removed have to be buffed off going down the grits till you leave a thin layer on the nail to grow out... You must be very very careful not to file the natural nail. Its a shame you wasn't taught this properly on your course as every important.

Prep wise it seems ok but personally I would check with your educator, I'm sure she/he's will help and answer any questions.

Using white tip, personally I don't ever but if you do when it comes to infill/rebalance you do this with white gel/l&p so you have to remove some of the product from the smile area, redo with white and also do your infill area, this should have been taught too on your course, because this is a requirement for any tech, so maybe query why your wernt told and shown how to do this.

:)

The way I do my GHG extensions is:
- Cuticle work & gently remove shine
- Apply tips, cut & file to shape
- Blend tips
- Apply PH Bond
- Apply Pro Bond
- Thin layer of clear builder gel & cure
- Thicker layer of clear builder gel & cure
- Remove tacky layer
Then if you want to apply Gelish just buff the shine off the extensions & do Gelish as normal just without the foundation layer x

The way I do my GHG extensions is:
- Cuticle work & gently remove shine
- Apply tips, cut & file to shape
- Blend tips
- Apply PH Bond
- Apply Pro Bond
- Thin layer of clear builder gel & cure
- Thicker layer of clear builder gel & cure
- Remove tacky layer
Then if you want to apply Gelish just buff the shine off the extensions & do Gelish as normal just without the foundation layer x

Thank you for that. So when they come back for infill with tips do you have to apply a new tip? X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you for that. So when they come back for infill with tips do you have to apply a new tip? X

Infil is the same process maz has mentioned above Hun, have you trained in gel or l&p- if not I would personally do fusion first if I had to choose

Last edited by a moderator:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app[/QUOTE

Infil is the same process maz has mentioned above Hun, have you trained in gel or l&p- if not I would personally do fusion first if I had to choose

No that's why I'm trying to work out which would be easier before booking. I have spoken to the harmony educator about training in fusion and think I will probably go the acrylic route. Thanks for all your advice xx

Thank you got your help in here guys. The school whrre I trained to do offer a refresher course free if charge so thinking of going along to that at some point.

Just scared I will damage the nails and about the whole removal process!! Been scared off by what happened to myself from the other trainee. But I suppose practice makes perfect! Xx

Why not do the hard gel conversion with harmony? I'm not getting on well with gel so need to decide myself whether go do that or try another brand :-/

Why not do the hard gel conversion with harmony? I'm not getting on well with gel so need to decide myself whether go do that or try another brand :-/

I was thinking of doing that but it's just the money 😔 xx

I was thinking of doing that but it's just the money 😔 xx

Keep practising on your own nails, helps a little with the confidence to do others xx

Thank you got your help in here guys. The school whrre I trained to do offer a refresher course free if charge so thinking of going along to that at some point.

Just scared I will damage the nails and about the whole removal process!! Been scared off by what happened to myself from the other trainee. But I suppose practice makes perfect! Xx

Hi can i take it your training wasn't with Nail Harmony themselves - i'm just curious as i'm looking at training with them them but i dont want to spend all that money if they are not telling you the important stuff ?

Hi can i take it your training wasn't with Nail Harmony themselves - i'm just curious as i'm looking at training with them them but i dont want to spend all that money if they are not telling you the important stuff ?

Hi no it was with a private beauty school which when we finished we were free to choose which brand we wanted to use (unless that brand required you to do their own training obviously) xx

I have sent a message to nail harmony enquiring about their gel conversion as really want to do it so I feel more confident to offer the service. Either them or CND xx

Wow!! So I did my first set of gel extensions on Saturday and It took me about 4hours!! I did also have to remove Gelish set too though and luckily it was on my mum as a practice.

Anyway, she has never had fake tips on before and a couple had already broken off! I am guessing I didn't apply my gel thick enough??

Well we decided today to just take them off and man did it take me a long time!! An hour and half later they are off!!

I have to say that I am now well and truly put off buff off hard gel!! Especially after a horrible experience on my own nails during training where the girl filed way too much down to my natural nail and am still trying to nurture them back to normal now.

I don't think I will be offering the extensions at all as far too time consuming for my liking! :-( xxx

I'm having the same problem with GHG extensions . It snaps off along the free edge, I find it is more likely to happen after having a bath for some reason! I gave tried doing the extensions thicker & thinner & nothing seems to make any difference. Can't fix it if I can't work out what's going wrong 😟 so I'm not much help to you. It still happens if you put it over tips as well. I hope someone can help?

Latest posts

Back