Gelish not lasting longer than 10 days

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SadieM

Reaction score
Help!!

I am new to the industry and am having problems getting gelish to last as long as it should. I am sure it is something i am doing or not doing with preperation/application.

Generally nails are starting to chip or peel after 7-10 days - What am i doing wrong?

In training i was told to buff nails very lightly but when i have had mine done they were always buffed quite a lot - could it be this?

One lady who's gelish is peeling has to wear latex gloves all the time at work so i think this is probably the issue but appreciate any advise.

Hiya, what lamp are you using?

I doubt buffing is the issue as I don't buff mine at all and have no problems.

If you post step by step what you do we might be able to pick out a problem area, if there is any

I wouldn't over buff (I don't buff at all), but I would make sure that you are thoroughly removing all cuticle from the entire nail plate. This and adequate scrubbing with 99% alcohol should be enough to completely remove the shine from the nail (as well as cleaning the nail plate). After all, that is the only reason we would use the buffer in the first place. Without knowing each and every step you use in prep and application, this would be the first thing I would try.

I've never understood why Nail Harmony train us to buff when you don't really have to and as mentioned - if you cleanse the nail plate thoroughly then you will remove the shine that way. When cleansing I spend about 30 seconds per nail to really make sure its clean. The reason I ask what lamp you are using is because I used to use the Mini Pro. It was good to start off with but because its so tiny you really do have to make sure that your clients hands are placed a certain way otherwise it won't cure properly - I was having the same problem as you with some of my clients before I changed my lamp.

I am using the 18G Gelish light so dont think this is the problem. From what you ladies have already said i am not cleansing the nail enough though. I have re read my manual and tried to think back to my training and dont think this was stressed as very important before. I dont have time now but will post later with exactly what i do. If i have not cleansed enough will the gelish shrink and get air holes? I have noticed this a couple of times.

Hi there, the Gelish will shrink if you don't cap the free edge with every layer, and air holes? Do you mean air bubbles? If so, are you shaking the bottle as you don't shake with Gelish, just roll the bottle between your hands, but I'm sure they told you that on your training...
I usually buff very gently after cuticle work, mainly to make sure the nail plate is smooth, then give it a good cleansing, work the base coat very thinly into the plate and off you go!

Latest posts

Back