Gelish or Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steffanie

Steff
Reaction score
What do people prefer shellac or gelish? I already have about 30/40 shellac colours but a couple of people have said gelish is better is that right? I like shellac but I'm finding quite a few of their colours need three coats to get the true colour. I suppose I'm just wondering if I should change to gelish.. Any advise welcome xx

I do think shellac colors are inconsistent and their small bottle with little brush is a pain.
Matching gelish colors with morgan taylor is a pain.
Gelish top coat is really shiny but tend to run all over cuticle and sidewall (must be super careful when applying gelish topcoat)
Shellac top coat does not run all over cuticle and sidewall but not as shiny

I only have shellac colors because my clients kept asking for it.... yes 60 bottles of pain..

I offer both as find they suit different clients. In general I find gelish a little harder wearing so recommend to my heavier handed clients but I also have customers who will wear nothing but shellac.

Perhaps buy a few gelish colours and see what you and your your clients think? xx

I have always been a Shellac user but recently got in a few Gelish colours. I can't honestly say there's much difference, they're both fab brands, if I was starting again I'd possibly go for Gelish as there's a wider choice of colours but wearability they're similar.

As for the Gelish topcoat running into the side walls, you're applying too much, it's not a fault of the product!

If your going for a pure gel not Gelish - removal is horrible. I use ibd and love that but there are loads of ppl raving about ink London I havent tried that though. You could just buy one colour in a couple of brands to see how you feel before committing xxx

[emoji3]I use opi gelcolor and at first I wasn't sure if I liked it, but now I've mastered it I love it. The colours are great and you can match them all with normal polish. They are easy to remove also and they are pure gel not a hybrid, apart from the basecoat which is a hybrid. None of mine have gone gloopy in anyway As well xx

In regards to the above posts:
Gelish removes in between 10
& 15 mins max. (Takes some people longer if they leave wraps on too long- the soak off dries out & the Gelish rehardens.)

Gelish top if off is only runny if you use too much, like any product.

Matching Gelish to Morgan Taylor is easy as nail harmony sell them in duos. & most have the exact same name.

Also if you purchase from nail harmony you get the free all that jazz matching polish with your Gelish colour anyway. :)

I completely converted to Gelish and I haven't looked back but I know many offer Gelish & shellac and both work well for different people's needs.

Gelish I find is stronger than shellac.

When it comes to colour, with any gel product some need 2 coats & some need 3 depending on the pigments of the colour you are using.

It's a matter of trying things for yourself as every nail tech has a personal preference to what they like to work with & what lasts on their clients.
Xx

In regards to the above posts:
Gelish removes in between 10
& 15 mins max. (Takes some people longer if they leave wraps on too long- the soak off dries out & the Gelish rehardens.)
I actually find it removes within 5/10 minutes, 10 is absolute maximum.

I wrap with cotton wool, CND Remove and tin foil and within the 4/5 minutes it takes to wrap all 10 fingers my first finger is ready to come off.

This was one of the things that put me off Gelish was that I thought the nail had to be buffed and that I'd have to buff to remove, I don't do either and all is fine, same as Shellac :)

I actually find it removes within 5/10 minutes, 10 is absolute maximum.

I wrap with cotton wool, CND Remove and tin foil and within the 4/5 minutes it takes to wrap all 10 fingers my first finger is ready to come off.

This was one of the things that put me off Gelish was that I thought the nail had to be buffed and that I'd have to buff to remove, I don't do either and all is fine, same as Shellac :)

Yeah Same. Takes me less than 10 minutes. I don't know how anyone can say it takes ages but I suppose everyone's timings & techniques are different.
Takes me the same amount of time to remove as it does a shellac mani. :) x

Shellac and Gelish have their place with different clients. I am foremost a shellac user. But is doesn't always suit all of my clients. Shellac, in my opinion is the far more superior product, I love the colours, the high shine top coat, easy non file removal, but, some clients need strength of a Gel or a Gel Polish, I.e, Gelish or another brand. Find a product or product partners that work for your clients needs.x

Latest posts

Back