Gelish request for a 5 year old!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emilytalbot

Reaction score
Hi all,
I had an email from a new client today requesting that i do gelish on her 5 year old when I do hers at the weekend. I have obviously said no, I'm just in shock that parents would make this request??!!

I had the exact same but with Gellux! I said absolutely not my insurance wouldn't cover me.

Sent that before it was finished & won't let me edit!

What's with people not letting babies be babies now;(
Normal polish only!! Lol xx

What is wrong with these people, Jeez!

I had a lady ask if she should book her 7yr old daughter in for a full set of acrylics !! Some people are shocking!

I have done shellac on my 5 year old this week, I really don't see a problem. She's on her summer holiday, it's only for fun and she loves her ladybird nails. X

My daughter who is 12 went to a sleep over at her friends on Saturday? She rang me to ask if her friend who is also 12 could do acrylic nails on her? She said its ok mum she has all the powder & liquid like u do!!! Have to say was not impressed & told her so in no uncertain terms x

Yikes! Not good at all why would her mum suggest this? The child obviously doesn't even know what Gelish is...

I have done shellac on my 5 year old this week, I really don't see a problem. She's on her summer holiday, it's only for fun and she loves her ladybird nails. X

The problem is that it's contrary to not only the manufacturer's but the manufacturers association's instructions to use gel polish on a child.

I don't really agree with this and it makes me feel uncomfortable I use geleration for my twinkle toes and I agreed to do the woman who I rent from (after she constantly begged me) her little girls toes. I said no to the fingers and told her I would only do the fingers with normal polish.. She wanted them as a one off for her holidays and then removed again for school. To be honest I hadn't even thought about my insurance not covering this so I am now going to call and find out x

Well it would appear my insurance would cover me and that it is not an age issue but down to good business ethics etc and seeking out and informing about potential risks and damage that could be done through gel based polishes. X

Well it would appear my insurance would cover me and that it is not an age issue but down to good business ethics etc and seeking out and informing about potential risks and damage that could be done through gel based polishes. X

Who are you insured with as my insurance company won't cover me for anyone under 16!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Who are you insured with as my insurance company won't cover me for anyone under 16!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi Tracey, I will check for you tomorrow as its at work, I'm in oz but to be fair I still felt a bit uneasy about it all I know it's down to me as a therapist but I emailed Jessica over here to see if they have anything in place as that would cancel out my insurance company just saying yes but the Australian office is closed due to our big trade show coming up. I may just email uk to see what they say (not that I'm being inundated with kids but just for future reference!) xx

My daughter who is 12 went to a sleep over at her friends on Saturday? She rang me to ask if her friend who is also 12 could do acrylic nails on her? She said its ok mum she has all the powder & liquid like u do!!! Have to say was not impressed & told her so in no uncertain terms x

Oh my god!!!!
I recently organised my sons leaving year 6 (primary school) prom. I was shocked at how many 11 year old girls had acrylic nails on. 1 girl had a bandage round 1 of her fingers and it turned out that she'd ripped an acrylic nail off accidentally whilst playing netball. She was in so much pain! This serves to show that nail enhancements are just not suitable for children. Same said girl also turned up wearing 6inch high platform shoes. I find it all so sad that children want to grow up so fast these days :(

Oh my god!!!!
I recently organised my sons leaving year 6 (primary school) prom. I was shocked at how many 11 year old girls had acrylic nails on. 1 girl had a bandage round 1 of her fingers and it turned out that she'd ripped an acrylic nail off accidentally whilst playing netball. She was in so much pain! This serves to show that nail enhancements are just not suitable for children. Same said girl also turned up wearing 6inch high platform shoes. I find it all so sad that children want to grow up so fast these days :(

Since when have children not wanted to grow up too fast .... Always in my lifetime anyway.

My dad wouldn't hear of me getting my ears pierced until I was 15 and as for allowing me to wear a mini skirt at 16 ... ??? Seems innocent NOW doesn't it? Especially Now when parents routinely dress their little daughters in clothes that would not look out of place on sunset boulevard !!! ... probably some of those who seem so shocked at children wanting to wear gel polish in this thread. A bit hypocritical maybe if their choices were examined closely.

The fact is that it is (in my opinion) not any of our business what other parents choose to dress their children in or whether or not they are happy for them to wear nail polish (uv cured or not). These polishes are not dangerous to the health of a child in any greater degree than they are to an adult. Even if 'others' may not agree. And although we all know that manufacturers protect themselves with warnings etc ... it does not mean they are dangerous ... what it means is that they do not want to waste their time with sue happy people chancing their luck.

Last edited:
The trouble is, there are a lot of sue happy people around, even if it is only the threatening of lawyers and Trading Standards and the like. This is worrying and upsetting and, frankly, not worth it. I don't know of any insurer who will agree to a child's treatment so, if that particular angry and litigious client takes if further your business and everything else is lost.

I agree that gel polish isn't hazardous I just think its a bit extreme on a 5 year old! Why would a 5 year old require the benefits a gelish manicure provides when all they really want is pretty nails easily achieved with nail varnish. I'm not comfortable doing gelish on a child of that age. A14 year old with parents permission is slightly different.

I had a lady ask me to put acrylic extensions on her 12yr old yesterday!! What is the world coming too!!

I won't do extensions on anyone under 16 - have been asked and I just say I'm not insured to do it. It's easier to put the "blame" on insurers rather than put up with people trying to persuade me.

However, I have done gelish/shellac on my 12 year old daughter and some of her friends for holidays/parties. I don't charge them though so not a business situation. I'm happy with that if their parents are present.

Latest posts

Back