Gelish request for a 5 year old!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was something on here a few days ago and through my professional beauty insurance I'm not covered if I were to carry out nail enhancements on anyone under 14. And a file & polish has to be with parental consent under 14. Worth checking insurance policies. After all it doesn't matter if we agree or disagree if you decide to go ahead then discover you're not covered if something went wrong. I know of someone who was sued by a friend of theirs when a problem arose so its always worth checking just in case....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Not sure if anyone has stated this as only had chance to read up to geeg's comment - I have kind of been questioning this myself - for my own 6 year old (no colour as such just as basic as possible) the reason I have contemplated this is with every passing day she is biting her nails shorter and shorter, she now has a nail bed of around 1cm. I have tried everything I can including the minging stop and grow which made her sick as she just could not keep them out of her mouth. She doesn't even know she's doing it. :-( x

Not sure if anyone has stated this as only had chance to read up to geeg's comment - I have kind of been questioning this myself - for my own 6 year old (no colour as such just as basic as possible) the reason I have contemplated this is with every passing day she is biting her nails shorter and shorter, she now has a nail bed of around 1cm. I have tried everything I can including the minging stop and grow which made her sick as she just could not keep them out of her mouth. She doesn't even know she's doing it. :-( x

But wouldn't she still bite them even if she had shellac or Gelish on them?

Personally I wouldn't apply Gelish to none under 16

But wouldn't she still bite them even if she had shellac or Gelish on them?

Quite possibly Hun, this is the reason I haven't done it. All I meant was perhaps there was an underlying reason? My eldest picks and splits her nails constantly too - again not even realising. Fingers crossed my youngest doesn't pick up on these habits eh ;-)

I have used Gelish on my little girl who is 3 (waiting for the backlash) but only because she can't sit still long enough for normal polish to dry. To be honest it peeled off after a couple of days because I didn't prep properly or do cuticles etc. she always wants me to do sparkly nails on her as she sees me doing it all the time on 'ladies'. I find the best thing is to use Konad polish and a pattern because it drys quicker than normal polish. I don't see anything wrong with using a lamp because as has been said before on here, it's no worse than letting them out in the sun for a few minutes.

I don't do gels anyway but I'm always painting my 3 year olds nsil. Gems, minx sometimes too. I don't know why gel polish is any different??? Everything has an age limit for backs to be covered.
Times are changing and girls want to be like their mummy's and if my daughter sees her mummy working making people happy etc then I want her included in it too :)
It's only a bit of fun! However..safety reasons enhancements are a clear no go same as adults who played sports etc wouldn't be candidates for them!c

I have a client who asked me to help her 4yr old son stop biting his nails as i'd done the same for her months before and she was impressed with the results. Her and her husband were at their wits end as their little boy was biting his nails so badly they were sore and bleeding and nothing was stopping him. Initially I said no as it felt wrong to me as a parent however I thought about it and did some research including checking with my insurer (ABT) and decided to go ahead with it. I got written consent from his parents and applied a couple of thin coats of hard gel on his tiny nails. He loved the whole process and has now stopped biting his nails - he licks them instead :) He's only had it done 3 times and now he's proud of his little nails so hopefully is reformed and no longer in pain! I personally would not do extensions on a child younger than 16 as I feel it's making them grow up too fast but what's the difference with a gel polish as opposed to a normal nail varnish? It's been proven that the UV in UV nail lamps is not harmful so why not? X

I just don't know about this one, I have read some very valid reasons for applying the gel ie.to deter biting, obviously then any possible risks are far outweighed by the benefits. I think enhancements are ridiculous for kids. Funnily enough I had a conversation last night with my 13 yr old niece regarding her desire to have gel polish applied (such as shellac). Her argument was why was it ok for her to apply the gel polish (that is not cured) in thick layers but yet she wasn't allowed to go and have it done in a salon. I have to admit I didn't have much of a answer for her, the inci list of the gel polish was full of potentially harmful chemicals, for her age there os no real reason why not if it was a good brand and the tech was good. So my main issue would be regular use of a lamp to cure on small children I guess for vanity.

for other's kids, i wouldn't do it.. but i have to admit, i put gel polish on my 8y old daughter's toes. She is a fish in water and wanted her toes pretty and regular polish chips in a moment.

Her gel polish has stayed on for 3 weeks and she's thrilled and doesn't even want me to change the colors yet.

My 12y old is to be Bat Mitzvah in January (she'll be 13 in December). I'll do all 3 girls nails in gel for the simple reason i want the color to stay on and nice from the day of photos thursday through saturday's celebration.

I know my girls (8, 12, 15) and they chip (or PICK) the polish off if it is regular nail laquer. They leave the gel alone (I don't know why, but they're kids ;) )

So, no enhancements, no acrylic, but gel polish, i see no issue with them (again, doesn't mean i'll do for others - i explain with hormones and age and oil in the nails they can just 'pop' and lift and usually it stops them)

On my 9 and 6 year old, in a heartbeat!! They wear their Shellacs proudly, and they have learned good nail hygene and they respect this profession.That said, I would not put it on other people's kids. Simply put, it is NOT worth my time!
I believe it to be really good for their nails actually as I have seen kids that have horrible nails and those that wear nicely painted nails tend to want to keep them looking nice. ( GIve them buggers some credit)
As a business person, doing kid's nails is often frustrating due to lack of patience to sit still and the time it takes you cannot justify charging a "child's prices" which is exactly what all the mother's expect! They want perfect little nails and be charged a kid's nail polish equivalent, I don't think so. So, when I turn away a client requesting I Shellac their kid's nails I politely exlain that it isn't worth my time. Unless they are paying regular adult prices? And they never want to!
Besides, I am at capacity these days, so I can chose to be picky

My little girl who is 5 has shellac and rockstars on her toes.however she doesnt have it on her fingers as she is a biter but most off all nothing stays on her nails, not even polish. I have no problem with it at all. I dont see it as trying to make my child grow up faster.

All little girls love having their nails polished. I did when I was younger and it did me no harm at all.

I think it comes down to personal preference if your insurance covers you and you have permission from the girls parents then I do not see the issue. I don't think its for us to decide whether they should have their nails done or not. That is the decision of the parent.

If you dont want to do an under 16 then that is your choice but they will most likely go and get them done elsewhere and maybe not have the proper aftercare afterwards. It is business afterall and we are there to provide a service and not judge xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think this is a simple matter. This is not about judgment or parental rights. It's about business ethics and professional judgment. There will always be parents who will agree to any service for their child, (oddly enough, those are the same folks who will sue you if something goes wrong), that doesn't mean that you have to acquiesce to it. If you say you are a professional, then act like it and exercise some professional judgment. Sure, they might go elsewhere, but at least your conscience is clear. Pretty painted gel nails are not one of life's necessities and not worth the risk to a child. The salons I work with have a strict policy of not using acrylic or gel products on children.

In Salon Geek, we stridently insist that we follow manufacturer's instructions on matters like using the entire system or the right lamp, but then call the same manufacturers "overprotective" when it comes to following their instructions about not using their products on children? We disregard their consistent and clear instructions in this regard? That makes no sense.

We know that there is significant risk of sensitivity in adults with acrylic and gel products, even properly used. And while the products may not be dangerous to adults, we know that children's immune and nervous systems are less developed and what is harmless to an adult (anything from honey to small amounts of lead, for example) is harmful to children. Not to mention the potential for long-term exposure to the products, and additional exposure via ingestion because children are always putting their hands in their mouths. Maintenance and aftercare is another difficult issue with children; half our adult clients fail to maintain their nails properly. Do you really expect more of a child?

Bottom line, when it comes to matters of my nails, I trust my nail tech who is a trained professional in her field. But when it come to matters of health and safety of children, I take my guidance from pediatricians and dermatologists - the trained professionals in their field. These professionals are in general agreement with each other and with the manufacturers that gel and acrylic products ought not to be used on children under 14.

Last edited:
I think so many of the posts on here are missing the point and talking about what they do for their chidden! That is your choice.

How many of the professionals posting on here have insurance?? All I hope. The fact that you have this means that you understand the importance of it. So why are so many considering a service that negates your insurance????

I think so many of the posts on here are missing the point and talking about what they do for their chidden! That is your choice.

How many of the professionals posting on here have insurance?? All I hope. The fact that you have this means that you understand the importance of it. So why are so many considering a service that negates your insurance????
Absolutely 100% agree. I also was guilty of diverting from original post when the actual question was regarding the fact of insurance cover, also licensing must play a part when it comes to treatments for children?

I think this is a simple matter. This is not about judgment or parental rights. It's about business ethics and professional judgment. There will always be parents who will agree to any service for their child, (oddly enough, those are the same folks who will sue you if something goes wrong), that doesn't mean that you have to acquiesce to it. If you say you are a professional, then act like it and exercise some professional judgment. Sure, they might go elsewhere, but at least your conscience is clear. Pretty painted gel nails are not one of life's necessities and not worth the risk to a child. The salons I work with have a strict policy of not using acrylic or gel products on children.

In Salon Geek, we stridently insist that we follow manufacturer's instructions on matter of using the entire system or the right lamp, but then call the manufacturers "overprotective" when it comes to following their instructions about not using their products on children? We disregard their consistent and clear instructions in this regard? That makes no sense.

We know that there is significant risk of sensitivity in adults with acrylic and gel products, even properly used. And while the products may not be dangerous to adults, we know that children's immune and nervous systems are less developed and what is harmless to an adult (anything from honey to small amounts of lead, for example) is harmful to children. Not to mention the potential for long-term exposure to the products, and additional exposure via ingestion because children are always putting their hands in their mouths. Maintenance and aftercare is another difficult issue with children; half our adult clients fail to maintain their nails properly. Do you really expect more of a child?

Bottom line, when it comes to matters of my nails, I trust my nail tech who is a trained professional in her field. But when it come to matters of health and safety of children, I take my guidance from pediatricians and dermatologists - the trained professionals in their field. These professionals are in general agreement each other and with the manufacturers that gel and acrylic products ought not to be used on children under 14.

Really good well balanced answer xx

OH MY what a terrible mother I must be.... My girls are now 14 and 11 but I remember when they were at least 5 and while at a fair a lady dressed as a fairy did them some fairy nails with varnish and sprinkled glitter on them. Oh the shame!!!! LOL. Please ladies its a bit of varnish, it doesn't have to be dark or hot red, there are some nice pastels and fun glitters out now. Sure I understand if your insurance doesn't cover it then fine, if you don't want to do them on a child then fine as well (your choice), but I don't understand the carry on of 'oh my I don't understand some mothers'. Its ridiculous.

Not really accusing anyone of bad parenting was just sharing an experience I had had and interested in other people's opinions and experiences. I'm all for nail varnish, sparkles and stickers for children but would prefer not to do gelish on a 5 year old personally

OH MY what a terrible mother I must be.... My girls are now 14 and 11 but I remember when they were at least 5 and while at a fair a lady dressed as a fairy did them some fairy nails with varnish and sprinkled glitter on them. Oh the shame!!!! LOL. Please ladies its a bit of varnish, it doesn't have to be dark or hot red, there are some nice pastels and fun glitters out now. Sure I understand if your insurance doesn't cover it then fine, if you don't want to do them on a child then fine as well (your choice), but I don't understand the carry on of 'oh my I don't understand some mothers'. Its ridiculous.

I think the original post along with the majority of comments, highlighted the issue of carrying out treatments on children as clients, ethically but most importantly did insurance cover you to do so..not their own or anyone else's own child.
Also the thread is regarding cured gel treatment for nails not varnish or sparkles.

Latest posts

Back