Gelish users - buffing the nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitterbox81

Reaction score
I know there has been threads on this before but I can't find it for the life of me.

Do you all buff the shine off the natural nail before application? I never do on myself I just use Scrubfresh to dehydrate and have never found it lasts less time this way. I'd like to not buff the customers nails but am worried that it might affect how it lasts.

I would be interested to know this too. Bump x

Yes , they say you should . However some don t . I myself just gently take the shine off as its a gel product and I believe all gel products require this. Shellac and gel colour have hybrid base coats that don t require you to buff x

I'm only practising on myself and friends until I do my gelish course and find if I haven't buffed then it seems to peel off and not last. I've only done a few sets though as I say only practising for now!

Would it be ok do you think to remove the shine on the first appointment when you do first preparation of the natural nail then not remove it after that as would you not be removing layeres of natural nail if you removed the shine continually every two to three weeks xx

I have been using Gelish for nearly 2 years now and have NEVER buffed natural nail. I do a good prep and then ScrubFresh. Nails last 3 weeks with no problems.

Jo xx

I am still in school & we use OPI gelcolor. We were taught to buff.... at home I use gelish- on friends/family & have peeling **I have been troubleshooting for weeks now! I did my own nails 2 days ago with the gelcolor- 4 nails started to Peel! I can't figure out what's the problem?? I have 2 friends I've done gelish with that went 2 weeks plus so far the other's (4-5) no luck 3-7 days lasting only! I just picked up IBD Just Gel & ordered Tammy Taylor gelprisa - I figure I'll try a color from those brands & see how it goes... ..very discouraging when this happens!
With this going on I would be afraid not to buff I guess!!

I never buff the natural nail when doing gelish as it thins the nail plate , hence weak nails 😁

I have found that on myself and certain clients if I don't gently buff the tips, I get peeling. It really depends on the clients nails. You only have to gently remove the shine, this will not thin the nail plate! X

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek

Thanks everyone.

I'm not too worried about damaging the nail plate as I know when I do buff that I'm only doing it lightly it was more just because I know quite a few customers will immediately blame stuff like buffing for any issues with their nails when we all know it's more likely because they've picked and peeled at them. By removing the buffing step I'd be able to remove an option to badmouth/blame the Gelish for their issues... if that makes sense.

hi i always buff and its really lightly and also i always use the cleanse and then the gelish primer before foundation layer x

I use the nail harmony 220 buffers and I only very lightly buff if its a new client. Typically I do this because I find new clients have a lot of cuticle growth and even after removing it with cuticle away from the nail plate there are still some little bits so I very gently go over with my buffer then I do a thorough scrubfresh. But as I said, I don't buff every time with repeat clients. Just first visit, typically.

I never buff the natural nail when doing gelish as it thins the nail plate , hence weak nails 😁

This isn't entirely true.. Buffing the natural nail does not lead to weakened nails. Using a lower grit file to remove shine on a natural nail plate is another story, but using a very soft foam buffer and buffing lightly to simply remove shine is not damaging. I realize a lot of people have an issue with buffing natural nails but I have never once damaged someone's nails by buffing them very lightly before enhancements or Gelish. I have plenty of repeat customers and all of them have beautifully strong nails. Here is a picture of one client whose nails I have been doing since last April. She has had gel enhancements, acrylic, gelish and i've had to buff her nails and i've filed off hard gel etc...no damage.

If a tech is heavy handed I can see how this could potentially cause damage but I have never once had a client with damaged nails.. (Unless they've pulled their gelish or enhancements off against my advise). I am not disagreeing with the notion that no buffing is better. I agree. But, if a client has problem nails where they have lifting etc...buff them lightly.

The picture i've posted was taken right after removal and reapplication of foundation. She's never had stronger nails as she has now.

Attachments

• 406724_325799340869040_1356919095_n.jpg
    406724_325799340869040_1356919095_n.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 590
I gently buff with any NEW client and those who are regulars, I just buff around the re-growth as you would if they were acrylic users.

Shannon, when u use scrubfresh to prep the nail do u also apply gelish ph bond before the base coat? I know scrubfresh temporarily dehydrates the nail but wasn't sure if using ph bond as well would be too much!? Thank you in advance :)

Shannon, when u use scrubfresh to prep the nail do u also apply gelish ph bond before the base coat? I know scrubfresh temporarily dehydrates the nail but wasn't sure if using ph bond as well would be too much!? Thank you in advance :)

That's a good question. I still use PH bond but I use it very sparingly. I use scrub fresh to really scrub the nail plate, getting into the folds etc.. Then I do a very quick brush over with ph right before foundation. Might not be necessary but I still use it and my Gelish applications last forever it seems.

I guess as the scrubfresh is only temporary it won't hurt! Thanks, I'll give it a go :)

I don't buff unless nails are flaky. I don't use ph bond either, just wipe nails with acetone before applying base. Some of my clients don't come for 4 weeks and don't have chips, just too much growth!

I also use a foam buffer. Would never use a file to buff the natural nail:)xx

That's a good question. I still use PH bond but I use it very sparingly. I use scrub fresh to really scrub the nail plate, getting into the folds etc.. Then I do a very quick brush over with ph right before foundation. Might not be necessary but I still use it and my Gelish applications last forever it seems.

Sorry to jump on thread but what is scrubfresh? I thought it was CNDs version of ph bond but was never really 100% sure. Thanks x

Latest posts

Back