Gelish-what did I do wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nats5125

Reaction score
Hi geeks.
I've been doing gelish for a month or so now, so still very new but on the whole, things have been going ok.

I invested in the gelish 18g lamp and think its great.

Today I did one of my clients and after the usual prep (dry prep, cleanse, ph bond, thin layer of foundation, cure, dry brush), and one layer of colour, her right thumb wrinkled, so I carried on with the rest of the nails but removed that one and started again. The same thing happened on her index on the other hand so I ended up removing both and redoing them. Her index finger was fine in the end, but her right thumb still wrinkled after the 1st laurr of colour, not as badly though, so I carried on and after the TIO, it looked fine.
I must add here that I thought maybe it hasn't cured properly the first time cause of the position of her thumb in the lamp so she placed only her thumb on the lamp so it was flat.
Anyway, tonight I get a text saying that her thumb started to bubble and it has pealed straight off.
Never had this happen before, where did I go wrong?
Going round tomorrow to repair it and need to get it right, she is a new client.
Thanks xx

Hi geeks.
I've been doing gelish for a month or so now, so still very new but on the whole, things have been going ok.

I invested in the gelish 18g lamp and think its great.

Today I did one of my clients and after the usual prep (dry prep, cleanse, ph bond, thin layer of foundation, cure, dry brush), and one layer of colour, her right thumb wrinkled, so I carried on with the rest of the nails but removed that one and started again. The same thing happened on her index on the other hand so I ended up removing both and redoing them. Her index finger was fine in the end, but her right thumb still wrinkled after the 1st laurr of colour, not as badly though, so I carried on and after the TIO, it looked fine.
I must add here that I thought maybe it hasn't cured properly the first time cause of the position of her thumb in the lamp so she placed only her thumb on the lamp so it was flat.
Anyway, tonight I get a text saying that her thumb started to bubble and it has pealed straight off.
Never had this happen before, where did I go wrong?
Going round tomorrow to repair it and need to get it right, she is a new client.
Thanks xx

Was it a colour you hadn't used before? Some of the new colours have been a problem. They're a different consistency and have wrinkled, no matter how thin you do them. X

It sounds to me that you are putting the colour on too think. Think the thumbs should be cured separately too .. but which colour are you using ?

Sounds like the layers are too thick.

But like as been said, some of the newer colours are that thick even a thin coat wrinkles. I had major issues with Sweet Morning Dew until I read a few tips on here.

If its 1 of the new spring collection, you can either return it or warm it up before hand while your doing the prep.

If its not & the colour consistency is thin, it's your application, try using less product & doing more really thin layers.

Sounds similar to what's going on in our salon too, but they look fine for a few days then all peel off. Happening on a few clients, and on some that regularly have gel nails.
Thought it was just French that was the problem but its been happening with block colour nails too. Xoxo

It was inner vixen so not a new colour but I've had it on my nails and it was fine.
Maybe it was too thick but I'm trying really consciously to do it thin as I know thinner is better.
I didn't think with the gelish lamp that you needed to do the thumbs separately?

I have the 18G lamp & the ONLY time I've had issues with it was with the Sweet Morning Dew colour, I do all 4 fingers & thumbs at the same time.

Sounds like its your application hun, try & remove as much polish off the brush & go from there. You'll quickly realise just how much you need on the brush from there.

Most of my colours (over 40) need 2-3 coats to give a nice coverage, some it's more depending on the nails but these tend to be the darker colours, Bellas Vampire, Black Shaddow(takes 4).

The 'shadows' collection is thicker so definitely keep it thin but I haven't had any of the issues that a lot of people have had with the new lines. I just finally got some of the 'love in bloom' and they're applying beautifully. Just make sure to stay fairly thin. It's also hard sometimes not to see that it's thicker in the sidewall areas. Look at the nail from all views and then if it looks thicker in certain areas just go over it again quickly with your brush to even it out.

Thanks everyone x

Latest posts

Back