General Nail Tech Moan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissJulesBeauty

Reaction score
Hello

This may be a little long winded, i apologise in advance but I need to vent to people who understand. My fiance is the best but he just doesn't really get what I am saying when I talk about work xxx

Okay so I qualified as a nail tech about two years ago. I started out mobile straight away. My mobile business was booming but I was working full time as well so was struggling to get a social life. I hated my full time job so when my partner noticed a small unit for rent within our Indoor Market he urged me to open it up as a small nail bar... I called the owners who told me that a lady was already advertising a nail bar service. She was using a small room within the Gym at the back of the Market. He informed me that no one knew it was there and that she was not doing great and was thinking of moving on. However he would have to clarify this as he likes equal trading and does not allow more than one unit to be used for the same purpose. A couple of days later the landlord called me back and said the Nail Tech already there was ceasing trading and so if I wanted I was welcome to rent the unit.

After some research etc I agreed and here I am. I opened my doors to the public on the 5th March 2011.

Since i launched my business the nail tech already there has clearly changed her mind. she now has put signs and brochures up everywhere. Her flyers are almost the double of mine, just different company name and logo! Not to mention miles cheaper and I am cheaper than cheap! My Nail extensions are just £22 for a full set! Hers are £15

She deliberately stole a customer of mine by telling her she was an extension of my company! Everytime I launch a new service / system she copies within weeks but undercuts me. I am convinced she is not properly trained nor insured but I don't think this is an offence so not much I can do about it.

Don't get me wrong my business is growing and going from strength to strength. Customers are coming to me even after visiting her as the service although more expensive is better and the environment is a little more friendly x I just did not count on this, I was assured she was not going to be trading as a Nail Tech so close. I have spoken with the manager since, I called a meeting with him at the beginning of this week... He was apologetic but said as she was trading within the Gym that pays rent for both spaces he did not have any control. He also said I should ignore her as I am doing the best out of both blah blah blah...

I felt really down about this the other day but now I am a little perkier about it and have come up with some faulous packages and incentives to my customers. It will not be long before she copies... But I figure as long as she is following me and not the other way round I am going to be alright!

xxx

Rant over... if you made it to the end thank you lol & Sorry

If she was struggling before she will be probably will be again soon ,
For a while she may enjoy a fresh wave of clients Comming in off your advertising but if she can't keep them coming to her it's her problem , you just need to sit tight,

If you feel she's copying your treatments don't stress it's not what treatments are on offer it's how we do them that brings clients back,

Other things you could do?

1) leave there is always other places just be warned there will always be other local nail techs ,

2)kick off , threaten to leave, it may get the landlord to get off the fence and sort it out ,

3) maybe talk to her? And arrange a way to work together ? 2 heads are better than one , less stess , likeminded nail tech companion , and back up if your sick, holiday ect,

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Www.lilmissbuffit.com

Thank you for your reply hun,

I tried the latter a few weeks ago. I was really poorly with my back, I could not get into the salon. Most of my appointments were happy to re schedule but one customer wanted her nails doing for an evening do that night. I rang my competition and asked if she would mind doing them.

i was not giving her a regular customer, it was a new client to me and I hated lettting her down so thought this was ideal.

The lady from the other Salon said she would not be doing her nails and nor would she accept calls from me in the future. I promise you I was SO nice! I am a really friendly person, I don't want to make enemies.

:(

i don't know where you stand legally (if you have any kind of leg to stand on at all) in reguards to what the landlord told you but to be honest you'll always be surrounded by competition, there are literally 3 salons on every row of shops now a days. if you move to a new business prem and another salon opens across the road are you going to move again? be confident in yourself and your treatments and stop worrying. the way to keep clients isn't by being the cheapest it's by being the best.

like has already been said she might offer the same package but if her results aren't good then clients aren't going to go back they will look elsewhere. x

Latest posts

Back