Get cancer because of a manicure?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precious2013

Reaction score
Seriously? Came across a video on YouTube called how to remove uv gel, acrylic nails and glitters and they have a caption up just as she's starting to drill the nail that says to protect your mouth and nose from dust because you don't want to get cancer because of a manicure!!!!

Hi , im on the under standing that if you breath in an excessive amount of dust it CAN cause problems later on ,thats why they recommend a mask

Just like any other job working with residue of materials xx
My partner worked in a steel works and they had to wear masks to prevent inhalation off metal dust x
My brother is at risk hes a joiner and inhales fine wood dust in too x

But i wasn't aware it could cause cancer x
Im interested to find out some facts on this too x

Hi , im on the under standing that if you breath in an excessive amount of dust it CAN cause problems later on ,thats why they recommend a mask

Just like any other job working with residue of materials xx
My partner worked in a steel works and they had to wear masks to prevent inhalation off metal dust x
My brother is at risk hes a joiner and inhales fine wood dust in too x

But i wasn't aware it could cause cancer x
Im interested to find out some facts on this too x

It doesn't cause cancer! Some techs can develop, over time and without proper ventilation, respiratory problems from inhaling tons of dust from enhancements. Again it's like anything really, work smartly and you won't develop allergies/respiratory problems etc. There's a few topics on here about masks and wearing them if you'd like to use the search function :) a great read

Oh god , i was really panicking about this xx
Thanks for the info xx

We all need to protect ourselves in the work place. No kind of dust is good for us to breathe from house dust to nail dust and every other kind of dust although there is no evidence that acrylic dust is a cause of cancer ... Don't you just love chemophobes and their fear mongering?

You can protect yourself in a few ways. Correct extraction ventilation (which most choose to ignore but which I have); wearing an effective mask (and most are NOT) or (my way) which is by not making more than a minimal amount of dust in the first place! :D

How many nail technicians die every year from dust inhalation related deaths?
If something's going to happen it will and there's nothing anyone can do about it!
Just use common sense! A bee keeper wouldn't go to work in a bikini?
A fireman wouldn't run into a burning building in his shorts and t-shirt?
:) xx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

If something's going to happen it will and there's nothing anyone can do about it!

GREAT analogies, Sian! Nail technicians have been making dust for 35 years now and, I dare say working without proper extraction ventilation which I can never understand, except for the fact that they would rather spend money on unimportant things rather than THE single MOST important thing, which is their health. :?::?: Nuts really.

Think the person on U tube has got confused! Podiatrists are recommended to use masks and ventilation whilst using a drill on severly infected fungal toe nails, because of the [slightly] increased risk of lung cancer, but these are clients nail technicians would never deal with. Anyone else- the question would be;- what are they buying?!

Lol! Bee keeper in a bikini! That comment made my day :)

Some people use MMA acrylics which are danger - they illegal and ban in most of the countries, ethyl acrylate is clasificate as a carcinogen, an agent that may cause cancer to human organisms is that what you mean?

Some people use MMA acrylics which are danger - they illegal and ban in most of the countries, ethyl acrylate is clasificate as a carcinogen, an agent that may cause cancer to human organisms is that what you mean?

MMA isn't dangerous and doesn't cause cancer, its used as bone cement in the medical world, its just a really bad product for use as nail enhancements because of its bad adhesion.

Some info by Doug Schoon .. http://www.dougschoon.com/nailpros/article-ProBeautyAU_What-You-Should-Know-About-MMA-redacted.pdf

Latest posts

Back